Getting a Smoke Smell Out of Our Bathroom!! (??)

We just moved into an apartment, it's great and we love it except the extremely strong odor of smoke in the bathroom. It reminds me of a hotel room. That bleached covered smoke smell. It's bad, my eye get puffy from the smell.

I didn't know if there were any tricks to getting it out.

I've tried air spray, Fabreeze, a strong candle, incense, bleach bath also tried a lavendar scent all purpose condensed cleaner and scrubbed the walls and floor down. The approaches helped a little but the strong smell of smoke is back.

I wondered if painting would help it, but it’s also lingering in the cabinets under the sink. I pulled out a towel we had hanging from the door and the towel smells like smoke now. So weird!! I've tried just about everything I can think of so far. I have an Ion fan that I'm going to put in there today with a candle. Maybe that will help.

I don't want to spend too much money on trying to rid the place of something that was there prior to our move (Boy, did they have it covered up when we did our walk through before move in).

Should I send a request to the apt company to take of it? Or does anyone have any other suggestions.

Thank you so much for the help!

The management company should definitely take care of this for you. They can apply Kilz to the walls and repaint it. They may have to replace doors and cabinetry also, but the walls should get rid of most of the problem.

Paint the walls. It sounds like you might have to paint the cabinets too. Use a high-quality paint. Behr is good, and pay the extra for the premium paint.

It seems to me the apartment co. should pay for the cost of the paint.

I am guessing that you are connected to other apartments right ? Well it is not your bathroom I am guessing your nieghbor is smoking in their bathroom and it is coming through your vent . When I lived in a apartment many years ago our nieghbor smoked in her bathroom and our bathroom stunk bad . The vents to all the apartments are connected .

In some apartment buildings the insulation between apartments aren't that great so that smells and odors are transferred between apartments very easily. It could be that your neighbor is smoking in the bathroom or her apartment and that is where the smoke smell is coming from. I would check with the apt manager to see if there was recent fire's in the building and lingering smell that might be associated with it. If that is the case they should take care of it. Otherwise if it is a neighbor smoking in their own home there might not be any way to get rid of it unless you live in a non smoking building. Good Luck!

Try "Odors Away." It comes in a tiny bottle from the hardware store for 4 or 5 dollars. My tiny bottle has lasted over a year, because one drop will do a room for at least 24 hours. This includes smoky smells from next door.

Go to your closest tobacco/ciggarette store and get a smoke b gone candle and a smoke b gone obsorbing gel airfreshener. This really do work. Having lived in apartments and you mentioning how bad it is in the cupboard under your sink I wonder if you have considered that it might not be your bathroom but the person below you might currently be smoking in theirs. The smell can travel up along the pipes and moisture intisifies the smell. If this is the case I would not only buy the smoke be gone stuff, but insillate your pipes and fill in any holes arround them to help block it.

Painting it would definitely help AFTER you completely wash down all surface with something like Nature's Miracle. You can buy that at pet stores. Good luck!

I didn't read the other posts so I may be repeating here...

There is a product called TSP (white powder in a white and red box) that you mix with hot water and can scrub all the surfaces in your bathroom with it. My aunt even adds bleach to the mixture - I've never done that.

If there is nicotine on the walls/ vanity, etc. you won't be able to paint it properly - the brown nicotine will seep thru the paint. It's SO gross. So you will need to clean EVERY surface w/ the TSP first.

It works well but is very messy as all the brown water runs down the walls so have lots of old sheets, towels, etc. ready to dry up after! Good luck

SOL-U-MEL is a miracle cleaner. It can be mixed with water and sprayed on as an air freshener and odor remover. I spray it on our carpet to get out dog accidents. Its also a stain remover if used in its concentrated form.

1 / 3