Gestational diabetes....failed One Hour Test

Welp just got the news that I failed my 1 hour glucose test....my score was 165......Going to do 3 hour test, what happens if I fail that test? Will i be considered high risk? What happens? I'm waiting for doctor to call and schedule the next test....not looking forward to it

I failed my 1 hr test and the 3 hr test. My OB set up an appt with a dietician and received my glucometer. I was horrifed at first that I wasn't going to be able to eat anything at all. I follwed the nutritionist advice and kept to a strict schedule for eating. I was allowed 45-60 grams of carbs for meals and around 15 for snacks. I kept a food diary as well to see where and when my sugars were off.

I actually lost weight at first. There are all sorts of low carb pastas, breads, tortilla shells, etc out there. Just look or feel free to PM me and ask. I even allowed myself no sugar ice cream treats once in a while.

Good luck with the test!

Take a deep breath. The really good news is that we live in America in the 21st century when doctors can test us for this stuff. If we need to, we can get medical care that will keep us and our babies healthy. Don't take this is awful news. Get the 3 hour test - see what comes out of it and go from there. The worse case scenario is that you have GD and you are able to monitor your glucose and keep your baby healthy. I have a good friend who had GD with her third child but not her first or second. Every pregnancy is different as is each child. The GD went away after her baby was born. But she was able to have a gorgeous healthy boy in spite of the GD.
You go mama - you've done what you needed to do to keep your baby healthy - keep doing it and you'll both thrive.

If you fail the 3 hr test you will be considered to have gestational diabetes. I had it with 3 out of 4 pregnancies. Wasn't until my last one that I wasn't able to control it with diet and exercise so don't fret too much. If you do fail they will most likely refer you to a nutritionist and endocrinologist (or ob that specializes.) Once the baby is born you are good to go but you are at a higher risk of developing diabetes later in life. All four of my babies were healthy and had normal births. Just take it seriously and follow dr's orders and you will be fine!

Don't get all stressed out over this. There is a pretty high rate of "failure" for the first test. I failed it with my first baby. The second 3 hour test was fine though. But it is a misery to take... sorry about that!

A lot of people fail the first test and pass the 3 hour one. I had to do the 3 hour one with both of my pregnancies. When pregnant with my son i failed the 3 hour one to and had to take a class to learn what to eat to moniter by blood sugar and had to prick my finger to test it 3 times a day for a couple weeks. I was not considered high risk but you do want to take it seriously. A lot of people go through this, and everthing turned out just fine. My labor and delivery went just fine and my baby was fine and my levels went back to normal afterward. With my second pregnancy i passed the 3 hour test but barely so i didnt have to do anything. I still watched what i ate though due to having it the first time around. Im sure all will be just fine, and i would not worry to much. Congrats on the baby!!

Every woman is different. They didn't tell me to fast and when I told the nurse (whe asked) that I had a glass of orange juice that morning she said "Oh we'll see you back here for the 3 hr test, for sure!" Guess what? I passed the original 1 hour test, even WITH the orange juice...at 39.
My boss had GD with both babies and with proper eating and exercise, it wasn't that huge of a deal.

Good luck with the test!

With my first two pregnancies, I failed the 1 hour glucose test, but passed the 3 hour with flying colors. With my 3rd pregnancy, I passed the 1 hour test.

Try to relax. GD isn't the end of the world - if that's the case. But really, you won't know until you take the 3 hour.

We are doing this now. We've had our GD diagnosis for about a month and it's super lame. We failed our 3 hour by just 3 points...I almost made them re-administer the test but when I started tracking my blood sugar I realized I could use the education in how my body works anyway.

I believe you are, in fact, considered high risk with a GD diagnosis. At least, with my first baby if I'd failed I would have had to stop seeing my midwife. (I passed the 3 hour that time.)

Now, with our second, I didn't pass. It's not fun at all, but ours is really well controlled just with diet and exercise. We saw an educator who helped me work out a meal plan (read: how many carbs + protein to eat at each 2-3 hour interval) and how often to test (4 times a day in our case). She recommended walking for 10-15 minutes after each big meal instead of doing one big session a day because that can actually spike your blood sugar. Go figure.

Depending on how strict your doctor is should you be gestationally diabetic, you'll need to stay under a certain blood sugar level or they might look at putting you on insulin. My doctor is pretty comfortable with my numbers and she doesn't freak out if I have a couple spikes, especially since I can almost always identify the source.

The hardest thing for me is the emotional side. I feel guilty that I "let my baby down" - even though my family is diabetic on both sides and this was probably just the way the cards fell more or less. I also get frustrated when my husband wants to go out because I have to do a lot of research before heading to the restaurant - but it CAN BE DONE. Really, though, I'm trying to focus on how much I'm learning about my body and the way it processes certain foods. For example, sugary foods don't really cause a spike but fatty ones (like peanut butter) I'm crazy sensitive to.

This information will help us stay on track after the baby is born (3w2d from today). And in almost all cases the diabetes goes away almost immediately after birth - I'm told.

Hopefully this helps, but I would say for now focus on passing your three hour. Many, many women do and there's a good chance you'll be in that group. Good luck!

1 / 3