Gestational Diabetes - Mount Pleasant, MI

I was recently diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes; has anyone else had it and what happenend, did you deliver early, have a c-section, etc....Any information would be helpful. Also, can it be caused by stress? Thank you and I look forward to any insight you may have.

All - thank you so much for all of your suggestions and concerns. They were all wonderful. My test came back, and I do not have the Gestational Diabetes...Thank you God....Again, thank you, you all are wonderful.

Thank goodness for Slim-A-Bear ice cream bars and sandwiches made by Klondike. Look for them at the grocery store. I am 34 weeks along and have been on a diet for over a month now due to gestational diabetes. Sara Lee also makes cheesecake bits in the frozen food section. I can eat 7-8 of them at night as to equal 1 carb (15grams). They are lifesavers!!

I had it when I was pregnant with my second daughter. she is 2 months old now. I didn't get it either why do I have it. Cause I never been a junk food, sweet tooth,or stress kind of person. It was very hard to limit you food and not eating things you like to eat. I have a c-section schedule with her and she still came 3 days early. She came out healthy and no problems with the c-section. Just keep it up on you diet and it will go away after you deliver. Good luck and no need to stress too much.

HI A.,

To my knowledge gestation diabetes is not caused by stress. With that said, stress is not good for anyone. Sounds like you have a full schedule with two children, husband and working full time. I had gestation diabetes with my first baby. Watch your sugar intake, eat a good amount of protein (this stabilizes blood sugars). Also a good non-GMO soy protein is a good way to start the day.

There are things to help your body deal and cope with stress, have a healthy pregnancy and a happy you!

And one last comment, have your children help you with things around the house. You don't have to do it all yourself. This will help with stress too!

Take care,

I had gestational diabetes with both pregancies. Fortunately during both I was able to control this with diet. I had absolutely no complications with either child. They were both born within a week of there due date and other than being bigger (1st one 8lbs14oz second one 9lbs13oz)they were fine. After the pregnancies were done my sugar went back to normal and I have not had any problems since.

Yeah, I had it.

Even though I followed the diet, my blood sugars were still borderline/high, so they put me on a pill that lowered it - it was a once a day thing.

The major problem with it though was that it was one of the medicines that make you sensitive to sunlight, so you go outside and get exhausted because your pregnant and have this medicine that makes you overly sensitive to sunlight.

The hardest part for me was counting the carbs and making sure you eat properly- especially when the cravings you are having are for things that aren't low in carbs!

I had a c-section, but that was because he couldn't get into the right position. Every time I went to the doctor's, he was in a different position on the ultrasound.

Oh - because my gestational diabetes had to be controlled with medicine, my doc had me do non-stress tests at the hospital to make sure that everything was going well because I was "a little more high risk" because of the meds. Which is how I knew he was in different positions -

I forget what they were worried about, but it was mainly because they wanted to make sure that he didn't grow too much too fast because with gestational diabetes you run the risk of having big babies/having other complications.

(But then they get concerned if you aren't gaining too much weight too...which happened to me because of the low carb diet)

So, I had to go to the my OB's office and the hospital weekly for check-ups for that last month, but I think that's more of an exception rather than the rule.

My son was exactly 7 lbs. The docs and I were both happy that he wasn't a "big baby."

That was my experience -

I hope it helps.

I had it with my first child and had to see a dietician and be on a special diet, including checking blood sugar 4 times a day. She arrived 4 days before her due date and I did not have to have a c-section. I did gain 70 lbs during that pregnancy which wasn't much fun for me. So that is my story, I think it must be different for everyone though. My neighbor just had a baby and she had Gest. Diabetes and she only gained 6-7 lbs. The diet she was on and her body kept her from gaining any wait. Who knows maybe she just followed the diet better than I did.
So good luck with everything. I didn't have any other complications with the delivery either due to Gest Diabetes.

H.

I had gestational diabetis. I finally had a c-section because my son turned his head while coming down and I was not able to contract anymore.

They dont really know the cause of GD. I controlled it with a good diet. I went for a class at Beaumont and they guided me real well. Basically stay off lot of carbs.

Let me know if you have any further ques

Hi A. ~
I'm an OB nurse ....you have some great posts on here already. GDM (gestational diabetes mellitis) is not caused by stress, just some women get it, some don't. You may be more prone to regular diabetes when you get older. Sometimes diet is enough to control it, sometimes a pill like glyburide, and sometimes insulin is needed. Hopefully your doctor is sending you to a nutritionist or dietician. That's the best place to start. They will have you watch your carb intake, because carbs turn to sugar. Your doctor will probably monitor your blood glucose levels. What you can expect is possibly a larger baby ~ depending on how well controlled your GDM is. You've had 2 kids already, so it doesn't mean you'll need a c-section, or that you'll delivery early. Your blood sugar will pass through the placenta to the baby, but any insulin you make (or take) will not, so the baby makes its own insulin to deal with the extra sugar. During pregnancy, the baby can usually deal with it OK. After delivery, most hospitals monitor the baby for the first 24 hours, because he/she has all that extra insulin now and the sugar source has been removed. So sometimes their blood sugar level can crash. Some babies do just fine with feedings, while some might need an IV of sugar solution that will be weaned off slowly. Once again, it depends on how well controlled your levels are. And each baby is different.
Try not to worry too much, but listen to the dietician.

I was diagnosed with GD with my first baby. I had to eat a protein rich diet and monitor my blood glucose 4x a day (two hours after every meal) and then keep track of what I ate and what my results were so that I could turn the paperwork into my doctor. I recommend Atkins, Southbeach Diet and even Meijers Lean Meals (in frozen section). You will be okay. Just keep monitoring your blood glucose as you are told to do. Maybe less than me, maybe more than me. I don't know if you would need to deliver a week early - it depends on what your OB decides and it is probably based on how well you control your glucose levels and how big your baby is by the time you are to deliver. My child was normal - 7 lbs. 3 oz but I still delivered her a week early by c-section. My son was just born this past April and I didn't have GD with him so it's different with each pregnancy. Take care.

I had it with my second pregnancy, but not my first. I didn't understand why I even had it. What it came down to was family history. I was not overweight and was not a junk food or big sugar eater. It basically came down to the fact that my father is a type 2 diabetic and that was a contributor to it. I met with a dietician one time, she gave me a meal plan with how many carbs I could have at each meal and how to measure my food out. It was kind of a pain at first, but then I found a great website with tons of recipes for diabetics. Check it out www.dlife.com It had really yummy things to make (which I still make today) and also you can learn more about gestational diabetes.

I don't think you get this because of stress, but I do know that stress can raise your sugar while you have it. And it definitely doesn't mean you have to have a c-section. I think the reason why women end up with a c-section is because the baby stores the excress glucose it is receiving from the mother and it just turns to fat. Which then creates a larger child and possibly too large to have naturally. I did have a c-section but that was only due to the fact that my children had large heads (hahaha) and my first child was a c-section.

Also I did not take insulin shots because I stuck with and I mean STUCK WITH my meal plan. It helped with not gaining a ton of extra weight for not only myself but also for a healthy baby boy weighing 7lbs 3oz. I have been tested since and the diabetes is completely gone. But they had mentioned to me that keeping up with a good diet will help prevent it from recurring or getting type 2 later in life....having gestational diabetes raises your chances later, so better safe than sorry.

I really wish you well with your pregnancy and just remember, stick with a good diet and everything will turn out fine. Plus your doctor will monitor you and your baby through out this. AND you are almost at the end, once you have that precious little baby you can celebrate with a nice piece of cake or bowl of ice cream. Good luck!

1 / 3