Generic Baby Formula and Name Brands

I'm having such a hard time with breastfeeding and I'm thinking about going to formula. Is the generic basically the same as the expensive stuff, such as similac?

When I asked my doc about generic she said they are not the same! And with my daughter having a bad stomach I just bought the Enfamil like she said.

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned high fructose corn syrup... and the dangers related to it. When my twins were transitioning to formula, I had a very hard time trying to find a formula whose first 3 ingredients did NOT include high fructose corn syrup. Soy isn't much better, as far as long term health effects. If there is ANY way you can continue to breast feed, I definitely would. That being said, when you are looking for a formula, be aware of their main ingredients... and there long term effects on our children. Good luck and God bless.

They are the same. I use target brand and it is the exact same as simalec. They are the same ingredients, the same amount and the same manufacturing company. The only difference is the label, and they are like 10 bucks cheaper. It works great for my daughter and i love not having to spend quite so much.

Hi BKL - breastfeeding never came easy to me either. I was finally successful for 6 mos with my second (after a hard start) but then required some surgery and after that it was just gone.

Lots of people say the generics are just as good but I never quite trusted that. I used Enfamil with DHA/ARA for a few reasons. It had the DHA/ARA needed for good brain development, it mixed easily (the similac clumped), and mostly because my sons took it well and it digested easily.

I didnt choose a generic formula mostly because what generic makers do is reverse-engineer the name brands. This is great on some things but they dont always get the formulas exactly right. Also, I would never ever buy a formula that was made in China - they have too terrible of a track record of health violations.

If you try out different formulas, be sure to give your little one some time to adjust. Trying out different brands and different types too quickly can give their little tummies some problems.

I had to stop breastfeeding and formula is SOOOO expensive. We had our daughter on Similac for the first few months and our pediatrician suggested (unprompted) that we switch her to something a little bit cheaper. She said that they are the same and she had her own children on store brand formula. We switched to the Target brand (Up&Up) which was only about $11 a can- woohoo! She never noticed a difference and is a happy healthy almost-two year old. :)

They compared the Walmart brand (Parent's Choice) to Enfamil in Parenting magazine and the Walmart brand won in nutrition and value! I got Enfamil from WIC but when I had to purchase it on my own, I bought the Walmart brand. It's considerably cheaper.

Go to Costo or Sam's Club and get their generic version. If you compare the ingredients to Similac, they are virtually identical. Your baby will be just fine on the cheaper stuff.

Nutrition-wise, yes. Formulas are controlled by the FDA so they have to have a certain minimum nutrition. And most generics have the nutrition comparison to the expensive stuff right on the packaging. Now, as far as foamy-ness and other factors go, that's a different story. But someone posted almost your exact same question just last week or the week before, so you might want to go through those responses.

1 / 3