Gassy 4 Month Old

My baby girl is the gassiest baby I've ever seen! I am breastfeeding exclusively. I have tried simethecone gas drops, but they don't seem to do a thing. She is actually a really sweet, good-natured baby. She's rarely fussy....BUT every morning between the hours of about 2 and 6, she squirms, fusses, grunts, passes gas.... I'm not sure what I can do to help her! I don't eat excessive amounts of chocolate, broccoli or dairy, which I've heard can be culprits. Any suggestions?

My daughter did this too. We found out that she is allergic to dairy. i am comepletly off dairy and she is doing great!!

We always used homeopathic Hyland's Colic Tabs, safe and usually worked quite well for us; we prefer non-chemical options, so it was great.

Also, I would cut dairy completely. It is so dreadful on a baby's system.

You're a great mommy for seeking answers... good luck!

Hello B.,

Congratulations on your little one! When my daughter was a baby (11 years ago) we used gripe water. She was the gassiest baby ever from both ends. Also, she had the hiccups all the time and she still does. Gripe water was the best thing for her. Well, little did we know, but this year, she was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and that was the reason she has always been such a gassy child from both ends. I don't know if that is why your child is gassy, but I don't want your child to have to suffer as long as my child had to suffer with stomach discomfort. Now that she is on a gluten free diet, she is not as much gassy, which is such a nice relief for her and the rest of the family. :) Good luck and I hope you find some relief for your little one.

I used Gripe water with both my kids and swear by it. My son has horrible reflux, and this worked well for him as an infant before discovering the reflux.

Good luck, that is really hard!

She might grow out of it. My 6 month old was the gassiest baby I had known after we brought her, and boy, did some of those toots stink!I was strictly breastfeeding as well. Her pedi said some babies are just gassy no matter what you do. And my baby girl is happy all the time. She rarely toots now.Once we knew she was fine and there wasn't much we could do, we just blamed Dad or the dog. :)

I had the same problem with my daughter when she was a baby. Her dr. suggested I try cutting chocolate, broccoli (and other gassy greens) and dairy completely out of my diet. Some baby's digestive systems simply can not handle those foods at all. It worked like flipping a switch. The gassiness was more or less gone in a day. A few months later, when her digestive system had matured a bit more I started adding those food back into my diet, at which point she seems to tolerate them fairly well.
Good luck. Hope you can figure out what's wrong.

Yes, thankfully it is just a passing stage, and remember, it can only get better (since it probably can't get worse...). Don't ALL babies have gas in the middle of the night???? Both my babes did this, and they both were on breastmilk and formula. So it may not be anything at all in your breastmilk. None of the traditional stuff worked--gas drops, gripe water, switching to exclusive formula, switching formulas etc. A Mom on here told me the gut is working the hardest from 4-6, which is when both of mine had it bad bad bad. My DD slept through it finally at 12 weeks, and my son at 15 weeks. Sometimes feeding them at 3 am would actully exacerbate their gas (my son ended up having acid reflux to the point of needing medication) so once they got big enough to sleep through the 3am feed, we helped them to do this. I think it's tempting when you're breastfeeding to just stick a boob in her mouth, but at a certain point (8 weeks/9 lbs) they are ready to move past it.

I love Gripe water and my pediatrician told us to use Maalox. 1 t. of gripe water or 1/2 t. of maalox. We use either depending on the time of day and the amount of gas. I also use carbo veg homeopathic tablets. I love them but some people are looking for something more mainstream. Mylicon didn't ever work for us either.

Babies are naturally lactose intolerant - their intestines don't do well digesting the sugar in milk (all milk, even breast milk, so it's not from you eating dairy) and it causes gas. The more fat in the milk, the longer it stays in the stomach, and the more broken down the sugars get (meaning less in the intestine, so less gas). In breast milk, its the hind milk that has the most fat, so make sure she is completely draining one side before you switch. That may mean she eats only on one side at a feeding, but your breasts adjust really quickly.
Since it's mostly in the early morning, I would guess that it's a night-time mursing where she isn't getting to the hind milk, so be extra sure to not switch until she's drained the first side.

Hope it helps!

1 / 3