Gas Wakes up Baby in the Night

I have been noticing my son waking up more frequently at night and i thought it could be a number of things...teething, learned something new, growth spurt, etc...then i noticed he was waking up a little fussing and then having gas. i am guessing the gas must be painful otherwise why would it wake him up right? his poop is normal. we have been giving him solids for about a month now. nothing gaseous; sweet ptoatoes, peas, rice cereal. i am wondering if there is anything i can do to prevent this before bedtime. once he wakes up he has trouble falling back asleep and needs a little help. would mylicon be helpful before bed? or gripe water which i have used in the past but not for some time any suggestions would help. :)

one word...MYLICON. Mylicon has been great for LO and his gassy problem. =) When he is fussy and I can hear/ feel the gassiness- I give him some Mylicon and he's a happy camper. It's over the counter so it's safe too.

I have been wondering about this for my 4 month old. She also wakes frequently with gas in the night...hope you get some helpful solutions.

My daughters both were colicky. My secret (and has been for many years) is Chamomile and Peppermint tea. For my first daughter, everything worked (Bay Leaf tea, etc). For my second, I took her to a Homeopathic doctor and he gave me Chamomila sugar pellets - wow, magic! Over the years, I've stocked Chamomile and Peppermint tea and shared with many to rave reviews.

Mylicon used to work for my kids when they were infants. They are little drops that you give them.

My daugter screamed the whole first two months of her life becuase of gas. Solids did it too. Mylicon is the only thing I have found that quiets her tummy down. Gripe water is a God-send for us becuase she gets terrible hiccups too. Try it, I know not all kids are the same, but it really helped us!

I would try eliminating one of the foods he eating and see if that works. A mini elimination diet. You didn't mention how old your baby is. Introducing new foods one at a time and after six months has worked best for my children. Best of luck...

The gas could be from the food choices you have made for him. They may not overtly produce gas but they ferment and produce gas when they are hard to digest. Babies do not make adequate amylase to break down starches so grains are really best avoided until they are 1 year old. Not the party line, I know. Further, a baby's gut is intentionally "leaky" to allow those great immunoglobulins from breast milk to boost the babe's immunity. Feeding solids too soon can also contribute to the digestive difficulties.

Meanwhile, you can decoct a tea from fennel, coriander and cumin (1/2 tsp, 1/4 tsp, 1/4 tsp respectively) in 1.5 cups of water (simmer 20 minutes covered and strain). Offer 1-2 tsp prior to bed. Another herb that works is chamomile, with a similar small dose. If still nursing, you take the tea yourself too.

Another factor, if still nursing is what you are eating. Many women have "leaky guts" (from any drug, alcohol, inappropriate food choices, heavy metal exposure, stress, etc.) which allows your undigested proteins to leak through the breast milk into the baby. Also means irritation from large protein molecules.

Hi E.,
The Mylicon (sp?) drops didn't do much for our son. Gripe water helped sometimes. What worked best for our son was having him lie on his back and then moving his legs like he's riding a bicycle. If we did this for about five minutes, he would get out enough gas to keep him more comfortable. Perhaps you could try this each night about a half hour before bedtime (might not be terribly soothing right at bedtime just because of all the movement). Our son, now 4.5 years, has had to take antibiotics recently and they have been giving him some stomach aches. He actually asks us to do "bicycle" with him to help his stomach feel better and it still works. Also, I echo others' comments about the peas potentially adding to this issue (especially if the gas problems time at all with when he started having peas), and that you should look at any dietary changes you have made if you are breastfeeding. Perhaps it's just the addition of solid foods that is taxing his digestion. Did you start with just the rice cereal for several weeks, and was he ok with that? Perhaps his gut isn't ready for more. Another easy to digest food is mashed up banana. Some kids hate banana, but I waited for bananas to get nice and ripe (sweet) and either put them through a food mill or mashed them well with a fork. My son really liked them. For older kids and adults, doctors often recommend the BRAT diet -- bananas, rice, applesauce, and dry toast -- for an upset stomach. I'm not sure the applesauce makes sense for a baby's digestion, and certainly dry toast would be too tough to eat as a first food. Be sure to try one food at a time and once you've established that it does not produce gas, add another and give it some time. Maybe a week per food? It's probably a good idea to get some advice from the nurses at your son's pediatrician's office, too, as I'm sure they've dealt with this issue many times, and they have medical training. I hope some of this helps. Definitely try the bicycles! K.

Mylicon Drops worked wonders for my kids when they were babies!

i'd like to hear the response for this because i have a similar situation but I don't know how to access the responses

1 / 3