Garlic Drops - Ear Infection

Has anyone had success using garlic drops instead of antibiotics for toddler's ear infection? My 19month old son developed an ear infection and the doctor gave him amoxicillin. I gave him all of it but Target only gave me enough for 8 days instead of 10 so his infection returned (I'm unhappy with Target!). We recently started seeing a Natropathic doctor who recomends Allimax garlic drops in his ears and orally.

I am wondering
1. have any of you had any success getting rid of an ear infection using garlic drops?
2. if so, how long did it take?

it seems as if it helps somewhat but if we miss or delay a dose his symptoms return in a milder form but they do return.

we went to the doctor this morning and received good news that my son's ear infection is gone! the garlic drops worked! I bought the Mullen/Garlic drops for his ears and continued to give him the Allimax drops orally twice a day. thanks for your sugestions!

Yes! Use the garlic drops. We also see a Natropath, and even though my daughter has only had one ear infection, it seemed to work almost instantly (as far as comfort is concerned). As far as completely healed, it takes a few days tops. I take them with me whenever we go to the coast and they work very well for us. Kind of stinky, but it works. Hope this helps. Good luck!

We use a combination of garlic and mullein drops. You can get both at any health food store. My 2 year old has had 1 dr. diagnosed ear infection and we opted to use this first before antibiotics. Took him back in 10 days and ut was all cleared up.

I have also put garlic and olive leaf tablets in smoothies when they are having symptoms of "colds" or "flu". Everything clears up super fast!

Best of luck, S.

Hello S.-

I have never tried garlic drops for ear infections, but I believe if the drops reduces the symptoms, great!

I've been working with toddlers and preschoolers for more than 16 years, and have taken care of many children with ear infections. During this time, I wanted to learn more about ear infections so I could help the children in my care more when they had one. I found out that most ear infections are viral not bacterial, so antibiotics won't help. I also learned doctors cannot know for sure which type of infection your child has.

It is now recommended that parents used alternative treatments to ease symptoms allowing the body to heal its self. If the child develops a high fever or is in serious pain, then it's time to call the doctor.

I suggest you keep up with the children's Tylenol, your natropath's drops. If you're looking for a different treatment, I've always have had luck with the Similasan line of drops. I used their ear drops a few years back when my husband had an infection and he felt better soon.

I wish you the best of luck. Ear infections are tough, because they happen so often and your child is in pain. I hope this clears up soon!

R. Magby

I used them exclusively with my son and had great success. He always seemed better within a few days, but more importantly, did not ever seem worse. We used the garlic mullein from Herb Pharm.

In your case, if he was already on antibiotics, I would be concerned a stronger strain of something had come back.... If it were me, I might we willing to try a more natural course as long as there was no high fever/major behavior changes.

Also, are you breastfeeding by chance? Some milk in the ears would be great as well. It is like magic for just about all illnesses. Cleared up a recent pinkeye case in a flash!

We use willow/garlic oil for ear infections plus we take our 22month old to the chiropracter every month,

My little one got a ear infection at 14 months, we personally not a fan of medicated meds, so we got the willow/garlic oil from the health food store , just slightly heat it up and drop it in the ear, it took about a week but we also went to the chiropracter every 3 days to make sure her ears were draining, after we would leave she would sleep so well, we are believers....

Good luck if you have questions about how to do it feel free to email me

I've had no experience with garlic drops in ears, but I'd like to address your Target experience.

Why didn't you return to claim the last 2 days of antibiotics? I've had a few experiences where the pharmacy didn't have enough of my drug on hand to completely fill my scrip, but I've always been instructed to return to pick up the remainder in a few days.

Taking the full course of antibiotics is extremely important, because if you don't, all you've done is killed off the weakest bugs and allowed the strong resistant ones to reproduce. This is why we have such a huge problem with resistant strains of bacteria.

Sorry, but my opinion is that you dropped the ball and didn't make the effort to obtain the full course of antibiotics for your child. This was not Target's fault.

Great questions, S.! This is a miracle cure!! Especially if it has mullein in it (herb for pain) I have been using it for the entire 10 years of my twins' lives! if you do it right when the symptoms occur, then you can usually "nip it in the bud." Even if you get on it in the middle of the infection...it will still shorten the duration.

To use:
Twist the bottle top just open (but so it still sits
on top.)
Heat the bottle in a pan on the stove on very low
heat until it reaches the temp of your inner wrist.
Put three drops in each ear and place a small plug of cotton ball to help it stay in...you can rub behind the ear(if it doesn't hurt too much) or pull it from the bottom lobe downward and out.

Do this for three days. The problem should clear right up.
(or longer if needed)

if you don't finish antibiotics, you strengthen the bacteria with immunity to the antibiotics and they don't work....kids have so many ear infections/year until they reach a certain age and they are not necessary when the garlic/mullein oil works so well and does not create antibiotic resistant strains(wrong thing to do.)but instead allow the body to activate it's own immune response and take care of the invading "bugger." Voila! The miracle of the human body....amazing!

In short...it works...do it!

Garlic is a natural antibiotic and I use it all the time in tablet form.

N.
Health and Wellness Coach

we used the garlic mullein. does the allimax have mullein? my daughter had a few ear infections despite her love for nursing. we always used the drops and she never needed to be put on antibiotics. i noticed results within a day as far as her discomfort. by the time we saw her doctor the following week or so for a re-evaluation, her ears were fine. hope all goes well. it is so hard to see our children in pain. C..

Both my husband and I have been commited to addressing childhood colds and flu's naturally. My husband was in his previous marriage, married to a naturopath. She did her research on children's ear infections and as a result my husband felt knowledgeable and confident in treating ear infections naturally. Fortunately, for us, in our town we have a Homeopathic doctor who is also a MD family practitioner. I would always take the boys, I have twins to see her to check their ears, just in case we were looking at something that might need something stronger, like antibiotics. As an MD and a homeopath I trusted her completely when she would suggest, garlic ear drops and warm compresses. These did work! Also, it was helpful to know that the reason children get ear infections so much is that until they are older it's like a "sore throat" because of the angle of their tubes in their ears at such a young age. It's hard when they have ear infections because they are in so much pain and they scream and you feel terrible. My boys are six and a half now and I can assure you, they are healthy and hear fine. Best of luck to you! Mary

ALAM: I'm a happily married mother of fraternal twin boys, who are in first grade. I work p/t.

1 / 3