Gallbladder Issues While Pregnant

Hello Moms. I am 6 1/2 months pregnant with my second child and I am having what I believe are gallbladder issues. I am having an intense burning under my right rib. The pain is mild in the morning, and then increases throughout the day. With my first baby, I had the same gallbladder pain, except it was in my back under my ribs. Here's my question, I don't want to have surgery because the pain did go away after I had my first child. However, I don't want to live for another 3 months with intense burning pain everyday! Has anyone else had gallbladder pain during pregnancy? If so, did anything help it? The doctor says, "Avoid spicy foods," but it seems like it doesn't matter what I eat (from toast to Raisin Bran), it still acts up. Help!

I had the same problem with my third baby,the doctor put me on a non-fat diet. The pain went away,it was great.

I dont know what could help, but I do know that with each pregnancy it will get worse. My mother had hers out after her 3rd baby...within weeks. Pregnancy sure takes its toll on out bodies sometimes! Try to stay away from fried foods...things that generally give heartburn: Caffeine, chocolate, refined sugars, fried food, spicy foods, etc... And try to eat more veggies. Veggies rarely give heartburn! Good Luck!

I had my gall bladder removed at 25. My mother, at 30. Avoid fatty foods, and gassy foods. I dealt with the pain for over a year after my oldest was born. It started out on the right side, under the rib cage. Then it would move around to the back, follow my rib cage up between my shoulder blades. We tried EVERYTHING!!! Changing diet, Zantac, exercise, you name it. I had to have mine removed. I found out after the surgery that I had about 8 "stones" the size of plum pits. It's a same day surgery most places and recovery time is not difficult. I do not know about having this done while pregnant, but would suggest speaking to a surgeon. The pain will make taking care of a newborn VERY difficult. Best of luck to you!

If it really is gallbladder then you need to do more than avoid spicy foods. I've had gallbladder issues for 5 years now. Unfortunately all the westerm doctors know how to do with this problem is cut it out. I was told to have mine removed a number of times. I'm working with a naturopath now and for the first time in 4 years am out of pain. But spicy foods has so little to do with it. I watch my fat intake, since that is what causes it to get "heavy" and hurt. I also have removed refined sugar and flour from my diet. That has cleaned up my intenstines enough that the gallbladder doesn't have to work so hard. I would suggest that if you don't want sugery you consult a naturopath and get yourself on a good diet. I have been in the position that you are in many times of "it doesn't matter what I eat". I've found that that's not really whats going on. It's just that my gallbladdeer gets into a state of distress from reactive foods and then I really can't eat anything without pain. I've been pain free now for one month from eating well. Tip: Go to someone who really understand diet - not all naturopaths do. If you want me to suggest someone I will. Good luck and congratulations!

I had a gallbladder attack 3 months after giving birth and it was the worst pain I felt. I thought I was dying!!! no matter what position I was in the pain was overwhelming. I remember sweating and the pain. The pain lasted 15 mins or so. Needless to say I had it removed two weeks later as I didn't want that pain again!!!!
My mother had an attack with her third pregnancy and 36 yrs on has not had another. So get it checked out. But if it was a gallbladder attack you would truely have thought your were dying!!!

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy.
I work for a nutritionist and see alot of this.If you go to: www.xoomamiracle.com, there is a mineral sachet that you can use to aleviate the acid build up. It's a natural product and will not interfere with your pregnancy. Even newborns can use this in their bottles. You can also get some fresh pressed apple juice (Health Food store, or juice your own apples). If you drink the apple juice and water as your only beverage for a few days the "stones" should dissolve all on their own. Don't worry about calcium, there is plenty of calcium in the mineral pack and it's in a raw, organicd form so you can't get too much.
If you need any more help I would be happy to have to speak directly with the Nutritionist.
I've seen this 100 times, and each time-great results.
D. K

HI S.,
I had pain with my last daughter while I was pregnant. This was 18 years ago though. I avoided the foods that made it act up firstly. IT felt like I was having a heart attack though the pain was so intense! I was lucky though and it didn't happen to frequently. After I gave birth I had it taken out and it was the best thing I ever did. No more pain. I do believe they can take it out while you are pregnant and it won't hurt the baby. They only make 4 little incisions near your belly button. You should talk to a gastroentologist to make sure. I had a great one! Good LUck J.

for gall bladder take eat artichoke or take the capsules of artichokes and ginger and lipoacid. All three help dissolve the gall stones and calm down the queasiness and pain. what also helps is stay away from foods that have calcium in it and; dotn eat spicy and greasy foods. These are what brings on a gall stone. It alway happens when your pregnant too, for the hormones affect it. So when you get pregnant stay away from spicy and greasy foods; that would eliminate half the problems. What helps also is drinking acid drinks, like lemon juice, grapefruit juice and also cranberry juice, for the acid in them will corrode the gall stones. Pop acids also will melt the gall stones. Gal stones are made of a combination of fat and calcium that bind together. YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE SURGERY TO get RID of gallstone, they go away if you just eat the right foods. But Drs can make mroe moeny if you have them cut out and have surgery! Shame on Drs who are so ignorant and selfish!!

Hello S.,
I had this problem with my pregnancy. It is very common in pregnancy. The pain was so intense I thought I would die. Even if I didn't eat the pain came(usually in the middle of the night). Dairy products made me vomit and fried and spicy foods intensified the pain. I ate antacids like candy. The pain was like a band that wrapped around from the front and went to my upper back. A week after I gave birth it was at it's worst. I work in the medical field and the OR Nurse who responded about the only way to fix the problem is to remove it is correct. An ultrasound may not show the stones and you can still have gallbladder symptoms. The gallbladder may not be functioning properly and another test is needed to prove that. You cannot have it done when pregnant because it involves radiation. There is nothing that will dissolve the stones. A diet can help with the symptoms but a fat free diet can cause sludge and other problems with the gallbladder. You need to see a Surgeon and see what your options are. He/She will be able to tell you if you need the surgery or not and when it should be done. Find a Surgeon that comes highly recommended. If your not comfortable with the first one then get another opinion. Good Luck!!

1 / 3