Fussing at Daycare

My daycare asked me this morning how long I plan to nurse my son who is now 7 months old. My goal was 6 months, but I am doing well with nursing as well as pumping milk for him for daycare. He has been fussy for about 2 weeks as far as I can remember. She said today for about a month and a half, I must have missed something. She feels that the reason she can't calm him is he wants to nurse/wants mom. That may be true, I don't know. Any suggestions if he is crying for mom at daycare?? I don't want to stop nursing for that reason alone, especially if he wants me, yet I don't want him to be miserable at daycare everyday either. He is there 6 hours a day, but in Jan, two of his days will be 9 hours and the other 3 days he will be there 6 hours. Any advice would be great!! Thanks

I did speak with my lactation consultant as well on this problem. My son has eaten cereal for awhile now. He eats it at daycare in the mornings. He also eats baby food at home in the evenings. I am going to keep nursing. Pumping and bottle feeding all the time is not an option for me. I like how easy it is to nurse, not having to prepare bottles all the time is great. My older 2 kids, I did not nurse. I am going to shoot for a year as a goal. I personally don't think that they should nurse much longer than that. I have been talking with provider, and my son has been going 2 bed earlier, and getting up on his own. He is napping better, and I think that was his problem. Thaks to all

I can't believe a daycare person would even say such a thing. Tell her to hold him when she feeds him so he can have the close feeling. I know a few daycares that teach the kids to hold the bottle themselves at a very early age, she may be one that does the same. He may just need the extra attention for a few mins a day. If that doesn't work, get a new daycare. I think it is ridiculous that a daycare provider would say that... I know I said that in the beginging but, GIVE ME A BREAK!

don't stop nursing! keep doing that as long as you are comfortable, and as long as your son is still interested.
my son stopped on his own at around 10 months. i'm sad, but i'm so glad that he was the one to decide it.
he will adjust to things at daycare, it may take awhile, but he will learn. in the long run it will be good for him!

First I want to command you for breastfeeding while you are still working. I was really offended by your daycare provider asking how long you plan to nurse. I run a in home daycare and I would never ask one of my parents that. I nursed all of my children and I try to help my parents out in anyway possible to make easy for them to cont. nursing. Your 7 month old could be fussy for several reason. He may be teething. Have you introduced solid foods. If not he may be hungry and need the extra supplement. I just had a 5 month old nursing baby that was really fussy I suggested adding lunch of solid and it did the trick. I knew his mom had already introduced food yo him at night. If you have introduced foods to him one could be giving him an upset stomach. I would have trouble believing it is the nursing that causing him to be fussy especially if it just started. All children go thru stages I had a nursing baby that was great even when his mom switched him from breast milk to formula than to milk and at 13 months he became very cranky all the time and it lasted for about a month than it went away. It was just a stage. Don't let your daycare determine if you nurse or not. Sorry I got so long winded I'm very passionate about this topic.

Do not stop nursing no matter what! The daycare needs to find alternate ways to soothe the baby. Obviously the breast is not the only way. Even bottlefed babies get used to certain things with their moms & want only their moms. I can not speak directly from experience as I have only left my children for a couple of hours at a time, but I know as my husband has developed different ways to distract them from nursing such as walking with them, singing to them & offering a drink of water. Good luck & do not stop nursing because of that!

My son started carrying around cloth diapers at about that age. He's almost 15 months and he still carries them and sleeps with them. I nursed for a year, and everytime I nursed him I used one of those to clean up any drips and to prevent and leaks onto my clothes... so I think he associated them with me and with nursing. I'd try something like that before I quit breastfeeding. Also, at 7 mos. my son got REALLY interested in the world around him and didn't want to settle in for nursing... it may be that he's doing the same thing for your daycare provider but with a bottle. At any rate, for goodness sakes, don't quit nursing because of this! Make sure she knows that it isn't an option, and the two of you will have to find something else that works. Good luck! ~A.

I have been a daycoare provider for over 10 years and a lot of my babies have been breast fed. Ask your provider to show you how she holds your baby when he eats. Holding him close in a nursing position may help. Try to gett your provider to feed your baby in the same way that you do. Do you use a soft blanket, or sit a special way? It could also be something very simple like the temperature of the milk or the style of the nipple. Playtex and Avent both make nice large based nipples that many babies like. Nursing is such a wonderful thing, and your milk is great for your son. Don't let this stop you!

Is it that you don't want to stop nursing, or you want to keep him on breast milk? If you want the bonding time when nursing, then I'm not sure what advice to offer; but if you are ok with stopping the actual nursing, then it may be better to keep him on pumped breast milk so he's getting a bottle whether he's with you or at daycare.

I was never very successful with breast feeding, and I admire those who are. I didn't have enough no matter how often or long I fed or pumped with either of my little ones. Even tried the reglan routine...

Anyway, in my opinion, I wouldn't be quick to blame his inconsolabilty on the breast feeding entirely. So many things upset little ones at this age (teething, etc.). So if you feel strongly about it, then stick with it, as it may be entirely something else he's dealing with. Is he on cereal/solids? If not, he may just be hungry and the milk isn't enough for him. Whatever you chose to do about the actual nursing, try to keep him on breast milk as long as you can. Good luck to you!

My first suggestion would be to consult a lactation expert, and or your pediatrician.I would do both. My daughter, 8 1/2 months, went through a similar stage. Only it was here with me. She was just hungry. She was not getting enough to eat. We started feeding her smaller amounts, more frequently and that fixed it. Now she's back on track with the 3 meals and snacks/breastmilk. I'm also a little concerned about your day care provider. She should have said something much sooner and doesn't appear to be PRO breast-feeding. Maybe it's her that he doesn't want. Sorry that might be harsh, but I got a little upset when I read that. Hope this helps a little. Take care!

I really commend you for nursing. Don't stop because of this. I am a provider as well and I had a parent that nursed their child the whole 12 months and there was no problem. Her child received her milk through the bottle fine. Good luck!

1 / 3