Funky Clothes for Older Girls

I am at a loss. How come there are so many cute, independently-designed clothes for little girls (and boys), but not for older kids? I have two daughters and have gotten them all kinds of great clothes at places like Grasshopper and Polliwog. But my mere 7-year-old is very tall and now needs size 10-12 but all the non-chain boutiques stop at size 6-8. Why is this? I am still willing to spend money on my daughter but I want to buy her funky things that are still 'little girl'-like. The offerings at Nordstrom's and Gap are all 'pre-teen' and trendy, and way too mature for my daughter. Does anyone know of a place to find cute clothes for big girls?

H.,

That is so funny! I agree with you on the Nordstrom thing. I love Nordstrom clothes, but I went to buy some trendy underwear for a tweeny once and all they had were thongs! NO NO NO Way! I'll let her make her own choice about that later in life LOL. Anyway, have you tried Limited Too? You can find the store at Clackamas Town Center Mall. They have all the trendy stuff that tweenys are into, but they are cute AND respectable.

Oh and I almost forgot, OLD NAVY. You can even shop for youself too! They have trendy stuff from infants on up.

Happy Shopping,
G.

Hi H. ~

Really, the best place I've found to buy cute girls' clothes that are not too teenage is Target. The Target off of I5 near LO and Wilsonville has really cute stuff. Their little girls' section goes up to girls' 16/XL. Old Navy is less teeny-trendy than GAP so you'll probably have better luck at Old Navy. Less expensive, too! Mix and match the Target basics with something cute and unique from Saturday Market or an XS from a boutique store and you are good to go.

3 kids, 17 yo girl, 8 yo girl, 7 yo boy

H.,

Happy Shopping,
G.

Hi H.!

My daughter is now 18 but she also experienced the same problem of being tall and wanting to wear funky but still on the young side of styles. Have you tried the Limited Too at the Clackamas mall. They have pretty good sales. The store is on the second story of the mall.

I still love Gymboree! They go up to a size 12 in girls.

I agree with Target and The Children's Place. I'd add Sears, Macy's, Fred Meyer and sometimes K-Mart. I don't find what I want at any of those stores all of the time but I do find what I want at at least one of them each time I shop.

Hi H.

I am with you. I have had the the same problem with my now almost 14 year old daughter. I still think the clothes for her age group are inappropriate. Way to much cleavage. We rarely find items that fit properly.

For your daughter I would try Hannah Anderson and other catalogs. Even look at European catalogs. I have seen some cute funky girl clothes in Italian catalogs.

I would love to hear other peoples suggestions. I would like to know of local places. I have a 4 year old daughter as well. Good Luck

I feel your pain, my daughter is 10 and she's still growing and needs cute clothes, so she is in the same problem. These are the stores i usually go to.....
-Old Navy
-Kohls
But these stores (Justice and Limited Too) are also for that size and they're appropriate. But i don't go there.

Go to Justice for Girls. It is fun and happy and really cute. The chain is at most malls and also online at http://www.shopjustice.com

1 / 3