Fundraising at the Grocery Store - Am I Being Petty?

This morning I went to a grocery store and was asked at check-out whether I wanted to round up to donate to a local food bank. When I replied that I did not wish to contribute, the checker said, "perhaps I didn't explain it correctly - it's just adding 53 cents to your bill." I said, "I understand that, it's just that I don't like being asked to donate when I shop and this is my way on not supporting the practice." She replied, "Well, I don't have a problem with (being asked for money). I don't like being asked to contribute to causes while I am there to purchase something. I support many organizations but I do not like being "bullied" into donating to a cause that they chose. Not that the cause is bad but I can take care of my donations on my own. And, who is getting the tax-deduction? Is the company donating all this money and getting the tax deduction? Is it even going to the charity? Lastly, let me say that I am a professional fundraiser and I believe in supporting charities. I just don't like the idea of guilting people into donating money when they simply are there to buy something. If the grocery store is so concerned perhaps they can commit to contribute 1% of their totals sales to the charity. Am I being a grouch?

Wow I can't believe that she had the gall to question you! Honestly I would report that to the store manager. That's not OK. Stores around here run fundraisers all the time. Sometimes I donate, but if it's a charity that I already give generously to or I don't support, then I just say "no thanks, not today" and the cashiers have never, ever, followed that up with anything other than "OK, debit or credit" (or whatever the next thing is to say).

I don't have a problem with being asked. I often shop at places that say "do you want to donate $1 to ___ cause." However, once you said no, she should not have continued to discuss or explain it. That was disrespectful in my opinion.

I actually think it can be a good way to fundraise, since many people will give that extra little bit and enough people doing it will actually make a difference. I just think they need to accept that no means no and drop it immediately.

I can understand not wanting to be asked more than once. I love my husband's reply if he chooses not to contribute to any request. "Thanks for asking. Not today." If asked again, he says only: "Not today."

However we never pass up veterans or Salvation Army volunteers, or children working to sell something, giving a donation even if we pass up the chocolate bars or popcorn. I spent too many weekends in front of a bank dressed up as Mrs. Claus or an elf, supporting my scouts with my goofy costume. Those wonderfully polite girls worked very hard to make requests, while not ambushing anyone. Bless them.

Yup, you are being a grouch. So she asked you, that isn't bullying. Did you actually cut the poor thing off before she could say being asked for money or is that just your writing style?

I mean it just seems like if you are stewing over this hours later you didn't reply in a normal tone, you sounded irritated, and the checker was just trying to explain her error because normal people don't get irritated with 53 cents.

It just seems like your reaction was over the top. When I am asked I say not today and she just keeps scanning my groceries.

Oh, and you get the tax write off.

If you got upset at the general practice, you'd be being a bit grouchy. Fundraisers have to do whatever they can. But the fact that she challenged you on it would have really made me mad too.

I have no problem being asked if I want to donate (and from what I'm reading you feel the same) but I WOULD have a problem if, once I said "no", the cashier proceeded to say "maybe I didn't explain it well enough..." Seriously??? When you politely said no it should've been dropped right then and there. The cashier even saying one more word about it would've rubbed me the wrong way too. You're not being a grouch. I think you're just being annoyed that the cashier didn't want to take no for an answer. I would've been too.

I agree with you 100%

Grumpy much?

It's really not that hard to say no and leave it at that.

1 / 3