Fun Lunch Box Ideas for a 1St Grade Boy.

Hello Fellow Moms.

I am sending my oldest son to 1st grade and he will need a lunch packed for the long day. Does anyone have any good ideas and or recipes to pack in his lunchbox?

~Also~
Do you have any "On the go, in the car" driving to school breakfast ideas?

Wow what great Ideas everyone had! Just to let you know. I have a group of moms that get together on Fridays for coffee after we drop off our kids ( our kids are in the same grade. Thats how we met.) We have a group e-mail and I sent it to everyone (about 15 moms) They loved it! You help more than just me you helped all of us have get new ideas for our kids. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

I'm a first grade teacher and there are 2 products the kids just love and I love due to low environmental impact and ease of use.
1) Laptop lunches - you can get them online or at whole foods.
2) Steel options -
http://www.lunchbots.com/product.html

Debra

I really enjoy Bento Boxes. YOu can get a lot of ideas by searching Lunches-bento boxes. http://lunchinabox.net/recipes/
http://www.bentocorner.com/roller/page/bentoblog?entry=my...

Hi J.- I have worked in an elementary school lunchroom and wanted to offer some suggestions.

- Peel the orange or hard boiled egg for the child. They don't have much time to eat and will choose the quick/easy stuff first.
- Cut things like apples, cheese or leftover chicken into bite size pieces
- Kids love to bring leftover pizza.
- Make sure your child can open the container or wrapper. Practice if necessary. Plastic wrap is often hard for little hands.
- Fruit cups with the tear off plastic cover always squirt juice and spill and the kids can't get them open easily.
- Include necessary utensils and a napkin
- Kids can't open most Thermos'
- Consider buying a small reusable water bottle instead of juice boxes or Capri Suns
- If your child is buying milk, 90% of the time they choose the chocolate milk. Most parents don't know chocolate milk is an option.
- Know they will eat the junkiest item first and the healthiest item last
- Teach your child to bring home what they don't eat. That way you can see what and how much he ate and he can always eat the rest as his after school snack. You would be heartbroken if you saw what the kids throw away.
- Ask your son what other kids bring for more lunch ideas

If you are able, surprise your son by showing up to eat lunch with him. In first grade, you are a celebrity if your parent comes to eat with you. Call the school office beforehand for the schedule and any rules.

Enjoy this school year. The amount of growth and development in first grade is amazing!

Boiled eggs, cut in half.
Cut fruits, veg.
Small yogurt cup.
Cheese.
Half sandwich.
Cereal bar.
Peanut butter filled pretzels.
You have to know your kid. Some kids are happy to eat the same thing every day for years, other kids get sick of the same thing and need frequent changes!

I dreaded the day my son started first grade and needed to take a lunch to school. I hated my brown bag lunches! Here's what I came up with:

* Soft pretzel, string cheese and applesauce
* Whole grain roll with butter or margarine, hard boiled egg, and carrot, celery or cucumber sticks
* Kid size yogurt, whole wheat crackers, cherry or grape tomatoes (make sure the child is old enough to know to chew the food completely)
* Bagel with vegetable "confetti" - spread the bagel with plain cream cheese and cover with finely diced sweet raw veggies (red & yellow bell peppers and carrots).
* Make a sandwich on a flat tortilla, spread cream cheese, add meat, cheese and thinly sliced or shredded veggies, roll it up and slice.
* Put tuna or chicken salad in a pita or ice cream cone for a change of pace.
* Use English Muffins to make little "pizzas"
* Fruit & Vegetable Kabobs with yogurt dip
* Make homemade Lunchables with Ritz crackers. A clean empty prescription bottle works well to cut the cheese and meat to appropriate size.
* Peanut Butter Pinwheels: spread peanut butter and a little bit of honey on a flour tortilla, sprinkle with granola or Grape-nuts cereal, roll up the tortilla and slice.

Remember they need something with crunch: baked potato chips, homemade tortilla chips, pretzels, goldfish crackers, graham or saltine crackers, plain popcorn, a hand full of breakfast cereal, or trail mix (raisins, nuts, cherrios, pretzels and a small amount of chocolate chips or M&Ms) are a few ideas.
* Once cold weather sets in they like to eat soup in a thermos. I send some saltines. We've learned cheese sticks and thermoses don't mix well in lunch boxes though!

I use the inexpensive glad ware and washed out margarine / yogurt containers to send lunch items so if they get thrown away by mistake it's not too bad. They know to bring them home. I also bought real silverware at Business Costco or Smart & Final. Set of 12 spoons or forks for a dollar or two. They say food tastes better than using plastic and they remember to bring it home (and if it's thrown away or lost, it's not my good tableware!)

Our "on the go" breakfast consists of: Kids Clif Z bars (you can buy them by the box at Trader Joe's or Costco or Tiger Milk Bars, String Cheese, Cold Cereal in a baggie (milk or juice in a covered cup or juice box), pop tarts (my kids love those!), apples, bananas, yogurt.

2) Steel options -
http://www.lunchbots.com/product.html

Debra

I came across this website and thought this was sooo cool. It's reusable and sustainable and they have great ideas on healthy lunches and so many pictures to give you good ideas. You can sign up for weekly menu ideas - so helpful. I'm going to be getting these for my 2 little ones.

http://www.laptoplunches.com/

You made me laugh hearty today regarding your two boys who booby trap you and you love it! That really made me smile. Thanks for the posting.

You can make your own fun and Healthy Lunchables. I put ham or Turkey and cheese with Crackers. I put Tuna with Crackers. I pack Carrots with a little ranch dressing. I cut up fun Fruit. The thing they love is the packaging. Crayola has a Sandwich Holder so the Sandwich does not get all smushed. Buy those "fun" bags or a cool lunch Box. I always put in a little treat and I tell my son not to look until lunch. (ie. Fruit roll up or one fruit snack, or a few gummy worms or a few mini marshmellows or some orange slices with a face)
Have fun!

P.S For the Breakfast on the run: You can make Breakfast burrito's and give him a half for the car, or a half slice of toast with Veggie Slice cheese, or English Muffin Pizza, or Go Gurts Yogurt that comes in the tube or make a smoothie with Apple Juice and cut up bananas or strawberries or blueberries to go in-it is yummy!

Hi J.-
I pack a lunch for my husband daily =) and he tells me he wished he had eaten like this most of his life. Orowheat makes "sandwich rounds" that are super slim sandwich rolls. The carb count is good since my hubby is diabetic- plus he says he is never hungry once done. We do trader joe's no salt, all natural peanut butter ( i like crunchy) and the low sugar jam. There are no weird preservatives, so it works out pretty good. You can also switch it around and do cream cheese and cucumbers or sandwich meat and mustard. My husband refuses to eat mayo, which isn't so bad. Next he gets an apple or an apple sauce, a snack bag packed with veggies- carrots, grape tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli- basically whatever he will eat all of- a snack bag of mixed nuts, and a bottle of water- or a thermos of water. None of these have to be refrigerated , so he can have them in his pack until lunch time. You can also add string cheese and one of those mini ice pack things from the dollar section of target if you want to cool anything.

Another idea for you is to pre-make snack bags. I do nuts and dried cranberries, veggies, etc. This way the kids (or even you) can grab a quick snack that isn't full of sugar.
I tried yogurt and found that the only one that wasn't crammed with sugar was yo baby. I get it at Trader Joe's, too. We love the apple and blueberry the best. We also like grapes. THe key is to pre pack the food at the beginning of the week, like on Sunday evening- sitting at a tv tray with your snack bags and bits out. Sort out at least a weeks worth and you should just be able to grab and go.

As far as in the car breakfasts, why not try those quaker oat oatmeal squares?!?! or the natures valley granola bars. They have some sugar, but they are also full of complex carbs that should keep your bouncing bundles full until lunch time.

It sounds like you have your hands full with two wonderful and energetic boys. Yeah!

I hope this helps you some.
-E.

laptoplunches.com has some good lunch ideas. For breakfast, you can also try Instant Breakfast. I made some Breakfast Cookies from a recipe I found on About.com that my kids really liked: oatmeal, peanut butter, applesauce, raisins, and a little sugar... If you want it send me a message and I will find it for you.

1 / 3