Fruit Flies

Help! We are in the middle of a fruit fly invasion! Any ideas of how to get rid of these creatures in our home? They really like my chidren's room and the dining room! I can't figure out where they're coming from. I have moved furniture, cleaned, and recleaned without being able to find any rotten fruit or food they could be hatching from or attracting them!

Hi! We had the same thing at work (no fruit)& the landscape crew came in & told us to stop over-watering the plants. What we were seeing were gnats- not fruit-flies, and they multiply & live around still-standing water (ie. the bottom of planters where the water was collecting). Just thought this may help!
Also... on "The View" several years ago, Meredith Veira's home had tons of fruit flies, and she put out litle dishes of red wine, and they are attracted to it and drown in the liquid.

put out little dishes of red wine where they are and they get the fumes/drink, get drunk, fall in and DIE!:)

put out a bottle with a narrow opening and wider base with a little bit of red wine or red wine vinegar. You can use the cheep stuff, like 2 buck chuck from traderjoes. The fruit flies are attracted to it, then then go into the container and get drunk off the fumes and they can't fly out and drown. I had a real problem with fruit flies too, and this works, plus it's non-toxic, no spraying anything where the kids will get into it. Just make sure it's out of the kids reach, of course. Good luck!

I found this online and it works great! take a tall plastic water bottle and cut the top off about 2 inches below the neck. fill the bottom with about a half inch of apple cider vinegar and a touch of vegetable oil. invert the top and tape together. the fruit flies find their way in, get stuck in the oil and can't figure out how to get out. leave it on your counter for a few days and watch the flies pile up in the bottle.

They may not be fruit flies. In my kind of work we call them "sewer flies." Even though you may not have a sewer leak, you may have a leak somewhere under the house or in a bathroom/kitchen sink. Talk to a plumber or have someone take a look under your house to check for leaks. Good luck!

We've had the same thing and it took us awhile to figure it all out. Many times they have come without fruit lying around. Make sure at night (and daytime if you can) toleave everything clean and dry. Close all your drains (they will multiply anywhere it's wet. Be consistent about doing this and they will be gone in a couple days. Good luck!!

Hi G.,

I have had this experience many times in our house. But their not fruit flies, their called buffalo nats and they bite!! Almost always they are in my plants in the house, so I have resorted to spraying my house plant soil with bug killer and it's safe for children and your plant. I bought it at Home Depot. It works great. To get rid of them fast we put a smaller glass of vinegar out by the sink (which is where they seem to hang out if their not in my plants).

This may be an urban legend, but worth trying. I read an email a couple of years ago that said that dryer sheets left out (maybe on top of the refrigerator or on the table) keep insects away.

Are you sure that it is fruit flies? There are small black flying bugs (can't remember their name) that live in the dirt and debris of house plants. Check any house plants you may have.

I did have a fruit fly problem one time that came from a bag of potatoes I had in the pantry. It took me a long time to figure that one out.

Weird that you ask. I just received an email the other day and it mentioned fruit flies. Here is what it said:
Goodbye Fruit Flies
To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2' with Apple Cider Vinegar
and 2 drops of dish washing liquid; mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the
cup and gone forever!

Not sure if it works, but worth the try. Good luck =)

1 / 3