Front Teeth Not Emerging

My daughter lost her front top teeth 8 months ago. The adult teeth are there - but not emerging. Her upper gums are swollen and sensitive, have been for weeks, but the teeth do not push through. Her dentist said to give it two weeks and if nothing has happened bring her back in and he'll help them along. Not sure at all what that means (and will find out before doing anything). Part of me wants to let nature take it's course, but she is uncomfortable with purple, swollen gums when she smiles. They don't hurt her though. Any thoughts or past experience?

Give her something to chew on. Just like you did when she was a baby. Have here eat a popsicle and then start chewing. This has to be a better way than going back to the dentist.

I am a hygienist with 24 years experience and I have seen this several times before. The longer these teeth do not erupt the tougher the gum tissue becomes. The dentist often has to make a small incision to "expose" them. It is really not a big deal although it sounds awful. Just find a good caring pediactric dentist who will explain this procedure to you. It only takes a day, if that, to heal and then those front teeth will drop on down normally. Hope this helps!

I had the same problem when I was a little girl. I lost my front teeth and they literally didn't come in for about 9 mos or so. All my permanent teeth were like this. The dentist told us not to worry, that they would be nice and strong when they did erupt. He was right. I just recently got my very first cavity at 34 years old, and even then it was a very small cavity.

if its been 8 months the dentist needs to do something now esp if shes in pain. helping them along simply means cutting the gums call them and insist they do it soon

S.,
It took my daughter's front teeth over a year to come in. I am not sure if that is normal, but her dentist kept reassuring us that x-rays showed that the teeth were there and would come in in their own time.
The "helping them along" part sounds pretty scary.

Our now 15 year old son had this same problem, although he never lost teeth on his own, had to have everyone pulled because they would get loose and then tighten back up. He was 15 in Aug. and just lost his last tooth. He has always taken over a year to get teeth back in but they have always come on their own. The one good thing that came of this is that when he was 9 the othrodontist told us he was going to have horrible problems and would need braces for sure. Well, by his teeth taking so long to come in he was never ready for braces and once he got enough teeth lost and back his jaw line had grown so much that he has the most beautiful STRAIGHT teeth you have ever seen!!! The orthodontist said this was the only way he could explain the change in his needs, or lack of LOL. I would give her plenty of time before I let them "help them alone"

This happened with my niece. If they don't come in quickly the gum toughens up. The dentist finally had to just slit the gum under the tooth and they came down. I wouldn't worry. You don't see many older kids without teeth, right.

That happened to my youngest son. The dentist explained to me that if the permanent teeth don't push out the baby teeth (if they come out early instead) that the bone hardens up wiht no teeth through them, and it's harder for the permanent teeth to finally erupt through the bone. Regarding him "helping them along", I would think that the doctor might slit open the bone to give the teeth easier eruption capability. (Hope that makes some since.)

It took a good while for his teeth to finally come down. I hope it won't take long for your little one!

1 / 3