Front-facing Car Seat That Is FAA Approved for Planes

hi Moms,

In her first year my daughter has already ridden on several plane trips, but never in her own seat. she has just been in my lap each time. She's getting bigger and more squirmy now, and I think its time for her to have her own seat on the plane (for her safety as well as my sanity!). Its also time for her to switch from the rear-facing infant seat to a front-facing toddler one.

So I am wondering, because this info seems surprisingly allusive on the web: does anyone know how i can find out which toddler car seats are approved for airplane use. And more importantly, do any of you have a great recommendation for one?

When you are looking at the seats in the store, the tag/label with the specs (5 point seat belt system etc) will say it is rated for air travel.

Yes! Britax is the one.

Get the Sit'N'Stroll. It is a carseat/airplane seat (FAA approved) that converts to a stroller. We've travelled all over the world with it. It is great.

Most car seats are also approved for airplanes but not all. It will say in the car seat manual or many times, directly on the car seat whether they are approved for airlines. I've never seen a seat for airlines only.

HI! I also spend alot of time traveling with my babies. (my family is on the east coast) I called Jetblue when it was time to start bringing a seat. The airline sometimes have that information. I ended up using my Britax (which I LOVE). Most carseats, etc. have a label right on them that tells you whether or not they are approved for airplane use.

Safe travels!

We have two Britax Marathon Convertible Seats. They are one of the safest ones out there. I have also heard good things about the Radian and I believe the Triumph is made by Britax but marketed under a different name.

I bought the Britax specifically because of it's safety ratings and because it is FAA approved. I believe there is a sticker on the backside of carseat stating it's FAA approved.

I would go to a place like USA Baby (the store in San Diego has a TON of carseats from all the popular brands). You can check them all out before buying.

I have used both a Britax and a recaro on a plane. I love the britax, and all of their seats (not boosters) are approved. There should be a seal or a statement on the box or paperwork that the seat comes with stating that it meets FAA standards. They are pricey, but last tru a few kids and are well worth the money.
When traveling they are a bit cumbersome, but my daughter was always happier in her own seat...it was easier for her to fall asleep :)
Good luck on your search.

C.,
My husband and I researched this topic prior to the birth of our son as we knew we would be flying often. Most airlines provide a car seat. You will need to check with them about whether they will allow you to use your own. Some don't allow that, but you can always have it checked. We decided to purchase a Britax car seat. We got one that will carry a newborn through childhood. (Decathalon) We like it very much. Good luck and Happy traveling.

I think any car seats that you purchase now or within the last couple of years will be FAA approved. THere should be a sticker on the side that states that.

I found that when I bought my daughter a seat, she NEVER sat in it!! I just traveled with my 2 year old as a lap child and she did great. I know she wouldn't have sat by herself. I honestly don't think her toddler front facing car seat would have fit??

Yes! Britax is the one.

i don't know that there are FAA approved child seats. if people decide to use one, they just use the one they have for their car. you must have one purchased already?

i found that it was a good idea to have her in her own seat and in her car seat. the car seat was comfortable for her to sleep in. imagine having to support your daughter if she fell asleep. you'd be stuck in that position. it was also a familiar traveling place for her so she it seemed like she knew she was expected to sit in there. without the car seat, she would crawl around between me and my husband or want to get out of our row.

to help you carry your toddler and her belongings, don't forget to bring a stroller and gate check it. i also found that direct flights were worth the extra dollars. but sounds like you've traveled enough in the 1st year and know what your family needs. :) happy traveling

1 / 3