Friend's Son Just Received New Kidney Where Do You Stand on Organ Donation?

My friend's 11 month-old son just received a new kidney last night from a young man (18) who was declared brain dead following a car accident on Friday.

This got me thinking - would you consider donating your child's organs? Would you receive comfort knowing that your child helped other children live on, or would the whole thing be too much to handle in the aftermath of a tragedy?

I forgot to add that the hospital asked my friend if she wanted the kidney. She said that some recipients refuse if the donor is not the same religion, etc. I was kind of surprised by that. Are you?

I was legally blind until I recently received a cornea transplant.
This has been an amazing/emotional experience for me. Because of such a wonderful and generous gift, I can see. I am so fortunate. After my experience, I now plan to be an organ donor myself. I hope that all of you will seriously consider being donors too.

I never thought of this as being a controversial topic. I would absolutely donate both my and my child's organs.

If my husband's game, YES, I would give my child's organs to another child in need. They're organs - keeping them doesn't make my child more alive/less dead. Giving them away however, could save several people's lives.

I would rather be able to give another child and another family the gift of life, than have my child's organs "go to waste" if they are no longer going to be of any use to her. I would rather another family give the same consideration to others, since you never know if you or your child or someone else's child that you love could be the one in need of an organ transplant. I don't even have to think about or debate this with myself.

ETA: I certainly would not refuse a donated organ just because they happened to be of a different religion. No disrespect, but that just seems to fly in the face of what God would want for one of His Children. I am a big believer that everything happens for a reason - whether you believe it is the work of God, or karma, or what-have-you is up to you. Perhaps He took another person's life so that someone else would have the chance to live. To refuse that gift because of the religion of the donor just seems ridiculous.

I wouldn't care as long as the organ was healthy and appropriate for my child.

On the giving end, I would want to spare another family my pain if my child was gone. I never met my first nephew. He died when he was four (the age DD is now) for lack of a donor heart. I cannot imagine that pain. In the end, I feel two people died - my BIL turned to alcohol and ultimately drank himself to death. The family feels he never recovered from his son's death.

I feel the body is a vessel for the soul. If I am gone, let my vessel help someone else.

Yes, I would, with out hesitation.
I am 150 Million Percent in favor of organ donation.
I am an organ donor, so is my husband, and our child, were she to die (God forbid) under 18 would be an organ donor too.
I hope that when she is old enough to decide for herself she would say the same.
It is HUGELY important, and I think everyone that is viable, should be a registered donor.
And yes, it would give me a lot of comfort to know that I or my family helped someone else, and a part of them was living on in a way.
:)

On your SWH. I am hardly ever surprised by what religion gets people to do anymore...

I am a whole body donor. I would if I ever needed to donate my children's organs. I hope that day never comes. I am the recipient of cadaver bone and am thankful for it. I can not for the life of me understand why someone would refuse a donation, especially a life saving donation from another because that person was a different religion. It isn't as if the body part received is going to practice that religion.

I think it's important to make the decision now, before something happens and you are in that sort of horrible place. Write a letter to yourself and make yourself promise to uphold the choice you make now while things are good and your mind is clear.

I personally believe that if I'm no longer using said organs and they are still good enough to save a life, then so be it. Take 'em. I would want this for my child as well as my husband.

1 / 3