Friday the 13Th Themed Birthday Party Ideas

Hi mamas!
My son is turning 7 in a few weeks and wants a "Friday the 13th" (the movie, not the day) themed birthday party. I am not sure as to where he came up with the idea, he has never seen the movie (or anything simular). So I am looking to ya'll for help with ideas on what I can do for a kid appropriate party with a horror movie theme. PLEASE Help!! :)
Here is some info: the party will be held at a park with about 15-20 1st graders, both boys and girls. TIme has not been set, and I am open to ideas for games, food, craft, and decoration ideas. I want to honor his request, but at the same time I want to make sure the party is competely appropriate for 7 and 6 year olds. ANY help would be much appreciated!!!!
Thanks so much!!!!!

*****edit******
To clarify, my son is a great kid, who likes spooky things, mostly in the arena of halloween, goosebumps, ect. He has seen Friday the 13th paraphernalia, I believe the scary mask is what he likes, in halloween stores and such. He knows the movie is scary, and wants what I assume to be a scary party, with the mask playing a role. I am a teacher and know what is not appropriate for children his age, I also know the parents of his friends who know I will not be having anything innappropriate at his party. This is why I am having a difficult time trying to find scary that is age appropriate. So if you have some suggestions, I would love to hear them. If you have opinions, which are ridiculous to have when you know neither the person, or the bulk of the information regarding situation, please turn off your comuter and go get a life. Thanks

I'm guessing that, not having seen the movie, he's just looking for a 'scary' theme. I would just pull out the halloween-themed stuff like the graveyard rice krispie treats and the eyeball cupcakes. You can do tag or hide and seek with monster themes.
Kids at this age start with the scary stories and all, so I don't think it is inappropriate. It doesn't have to be Freddy Kruger level, just more like Goosebumps.

i don't think a friday the 13th party is right for a 7 year old...if my son was invited to the party i wouldn't let him go knowing of this theme!!! and i know you are thinking well your son isn't invited anyway....there are so many other themes for parties that would be more right for a 7 year old!!!

This is a bit strange, esp if he hasn't seen the movie. I'd ask him FIRST what he was thinking he would want to do ....maybe like a Halloween party except in the middle of the summer? Complete with spider rings on the cupcakes and bats and stuff?

ps. I agree that my son may not go if I saw an invitation with Freddy Kreuger or whoever on the front of the card. "Uh, no Honey. I think we're ... uh ... busy that weekend."

Yeah, thinking that I would ask him what he has in mind. His idea of the movie and yours may be really different!

Otherwise, I got nothing. I can't think of a single thing to make that movie kid appropriate.

Well, maybe you could just make the things and food at this party w/a
scary theme like:

-eyeball cucakes
-dry ice for some smoke
-Ore Ida french fries w/ketchup (blood)
-spaghetti w/red sauce for worms
-maybe decorate the table w/spooky things like spiders, fake fingers?
-put a Halloween-type spin on it?
-spooky halloween music?
Hope that helps.

Oh A.! I LOVE the edit. I'm sorry if you got nasty responses. I've had that happen once and it's so frustrating because you just need help. My 7 going on 8 year old daughter also loves spooky things...so I'm interested to hear how this goes. She's more along the lines of Tim Burton kind of creepy.
Depending on the park, you could make it a scavenger hunt sort of thing where the kids have to find all the missing parts of the zombie or something....and leave an old shirt buried in the mulch, and a boot under the slide...etc. The last clue could lead the kids to the mask which is under the table where the cake is...and the cake could have the giant knife sticking out of it (which you'll use to cut the cake of course...no kids touch that). Then just let them play? (I haven't read any of the other responses so sorry if all of this has been suggested!) Good luck. Sounds like fun to me. :)

Please ask your son what he means by a "Friday the 13th" theme.
Did he just see a picture of Jason in his mask and think it was cool?
You should be asking him questions, he's obviously been exposed to something, maybe some of the kids were "playing" it on the playground.

And I would absolutely try to talk him into something more age appropriate, maybe a "spooky" party or "tricks and treats." If he balks just explain to him that Friday the 13th is a movie about someone who hurts a lot of people and a lot of parents aren't going to be thrilled about sending their kid to that kind of party :(

My daughter will be having a 6th birthday party on Saturday, and she wants a "Doctor Who" theme. None of her little friends are going to "get" it, but we are honoring that request, too, but modifying it a little to be "space" themed as well, since he does technically travel in space. Maybe make yours a "classic horror movie" theme?

Maybe you can borrow one of our ideas:
One of the games we are going to play is a variation of Frog Detective. In our game, the "Doctor" has to find the "mad scientist" who is turning everyone else into "robots." You pick a detective (or doctor, or monster hunter, or whatever), and give everyone else a notecard. One of the notecards is marked, and that person is the criminal (or mad scientist or monster or whatever). Everyone wanders around the field. If the (marked card) person touches you, you get turned into something (a fly, a robot, a zombie, maybe?) The detective has to figure out who the monster is before everyone becomes a robot or a zombie.

1 / 3