Frequent Bowl Movements in My 3 Year Old Son.

For the past year and a half me and my husband have been desperately trying to find a answer to this problem of what seems to be a normal healty boy. Our son, which is 3, has very small amounts of either very soft stools or diareha. He can go up from 10 to the most extreme,20, times a day. Its probably a ounce amount at most, and lately seems that he goes by the hour. It is a constant battle on me as a mother and husband. We've been to a physician several times and keep being told its constipation, and give him laxatives. Let me say we definately don't give him laxatives. I now have to wash him off everytime in the shower, because he goes constantly and too many changing with wipeing makes his rash worst and causes him to scream at the top of his lungs. Although it's slowly looking better it still causes him to scream. I just don't want him to suffer so much anymore. I feel helpless. We have also tried to potty train numerous times, but at this point, it seems like a disorder he cannot control, or some other serious condition. There is no matching information on this issue, as many places that we've searched. We really hope you can help. There are no more answers we can come up with, and it's taking it's toll on my entire family. Please help!!!!!!!!
J. Goldner-Bales

It sounds like he definitely needs to be evaluated for food allergies and intolerances...and probably by a gastroenterologist. Something isn't right with the way he is processing food. It might me normal for HIM, but seems like a tough thing to live with.

Has he been tested for food allergies? My son had a similar experience and he ended up being gluten intolerant. Milk intolerance can also case frequent blow movements.

I would take him to an allergist and a digestive specialist. He could likely be allergic to some kind of food he is eating or he could have a problem with digestion. Either way, you need a new pediatrician!

He sounds like my grandson when he was eating wheat. Is he losing weight?

K. Voigtsberger

reading this made me feel like it was an episode of Mystery Diagnosis! Your little boy needs more testing. I would find a specialist in tummy issues or at least another pediatrician. This poor boy shouldnt have to suffer and his doctor shouldnt have blown it off as constipation.

HI J.,

Avoid laxatives but get some fiber into his diet. Fiber is not harsh but will balance anything that is going on in the digestive system. Mikelle's suggestion of acidophilus is good as well. Those in combination should get everything under control. A normal bowel routine is a firm movement about one hour after EVERY meal. A week or two of fiber and acidophilus, depending on how irritated he is, should get him to normal.

God bless,

Have you tried acidophilus bifidus in powdered form? We prescribe it all the time in our office. Try Metagenics brand. Ultra Flora DF. It puts the good bacteria back in the gut, to put his poop in a group, but does not cause constipation. It improves the health of the intestines. So worth a try! You can have your pharmacist order it for you.

I can understand not wanting to give laxatives to a child, BUT if the DR has advised that he is constipated and he recommends laxatives I can not understand why you don't listen. Sounds like he has impacted stools, which is a result of extended constipation, and the small amounts of liquid stool is a result of leakage around the impaction. It is not going to cure itself, and laxatives are a simpler solution right now. If it is not resolved soon and through that method, it can lead to having to manually remove, (which does not sound like any fun at all) or sugery. He is probably still screaming everytime because he is in pain and needs to evacuate.... PLEASE listen to your DR - I have known a couple of people to go through this, and it can cause a lot more serious issues, because they are scared of the pain of going because it has gone on too long.

I am revising my answer. I had forgotten about the possibility of a blockage and small amount of loose stool that can go by it. My son went through that as well. He was chronically constipated, and did experience what you described. I would definitely try the laxatives!! If it gets better after the laxatives and then gets worse again, I would then pursue the issue to find out if there is an underlying reason he is getting constipated, as there was for my son. My son has hypothyroidism, which was undiagnosed at the time, and was causing his constipation issues, along with other symptoms. So, I agree with the others who have suggested to try the laxatives. The resolution to this issue may be as simple as that! Also, constipation/ blockage/ stool can be seen on a basic Xray, so if you'd like proof that it truly is constipation, just ask the Dr. to do an Xray, and tell him it would help you to feel more comfortable with the diagnosis and then you will try the laxatives. On the flip side, it might also show the Dr. that it's not constipation and that other tests are needed. Either way, it will give you and the Dr. more definitive proof as to what is going on with your son and what the next steps should be.

Maybe you could try taking dairy out of his diet for a while and see if anything changes.

1 / 3