Freezing Food Items

I want to freeze a bunch of veggies and fruits, as well as some pre-made meals. Every time I freeze something and go get it 3 months later, it is unusable. I usually put it in a contained then wrap that contained with foil and saran wrap. What am I doing wrong?

The following items I want to freeze:

pork chops (I buy four, use 2, then end up throwing the other 2 away. I would like to freeze two for later use)
green peppers
tomatoes
lasagna (I make it and we end up throwing half of it out)
meatloaf
chili

Any other ides for freezing I will take! I just lost my job and I am pregnant. We have two little ones at home now, so I am going to be busy preparing from scratch meals and freezing them, especially to use when the new baby comes. I will take any suggestions/recipes/ideas you can provide!

Thanks moms!

When i freeze fruits and veggies i cut them up, lay them on a cookie sheet, and put them in the freezer. They freeze evenly this way and not all in one clump. Then i put them in zip lock bags.

I freeze meals (cooked, marinated but now cooked, and raw) and have never had an issue. What I do is freeze them in glass pyrex containers or in the aluminum "to go" type of containers that have a plastic lid. This keeps everything super fresh and you can store things a long time this way. Also, you might want to look into the vacuum pack system. That also works very well. There is a small investment up front for either option but you won't waste food! Good luck!

Oh im so anxious to see what tips you get. We are going to try freezing some meals this week - can't wait. I just got online yesterday and bought a downloadable software for freezing meals - it was called something like 30 meals in one day.

I haven't had time to go through it all but I Think there are like 700 meals that can be made and frozen! Might check that out...?

Anyway - I will be checking to see what answers you get because we HAVE to stop eating out so much - its killing the waist line and wallet! lol

We freeze things all the time. I have a deep freeze and I buy 1/2 a cow and 1/2 hog each year. I buy chicken from the grocery when it's on sale and freeze it. If done properly, things can last for at least 3 months. Air is your enemy! If there's air, it will get freezer burnt. Also, wrapping is a waste of time. You need to get Ziploc freezer bags. Generic freezer bags work too, but Ziploc work better. If you want to freeze pork chop, for instance, put them in the bag, squeeze ALL the air out, lay them flat, squeeze it again, lay them flat again, and put in the freezer. I never use containers to freeze because they allow too much air and they take up too much room. I freeze everything from meat to soups to veggies to fruits in bags. Lay the bag flat in your freezer and you can stack things up on top of each other. You'll save lots of room and you can fit way more in your freezer.

Investing in a small stand-alone freezer may be a great idea. The constant opeing and closing of the freezer compartment in a self-defrosting freezer can wreak havoc on food storage. However, I would aim to keep everything rotated within 3-6 months.

Air is the enemy of food storage. Vacuum sealing will greatly lengthen the storage life. Wrap foods directly with several layers of plastic wrap and foil rather than a container that has a bigger airspace. Also, the faster something freezes the better...so slice your meatloaf into individual serving, wrap in plastic wrap and put in a freezer bag (same for lasagna, etc.)

I would get a thermometer and check your freezer temperature. Ensure that it isn't packed to high...there is a vent (near the top usually) that needs to have a space left around it.

I even cook pasta al dente, drain really well, allow to dry a bit and then toss with olive oil. I put it in a ziploc freezer bag and lay it flat to freeze. I find that the wheat pastas keep a better texture. It is easy to make a quick meal with sauces that I make ahead and freeze. I also make a variety of soups full of beans, lentils, vegetables and a variety of different meats...you can add a little of your frozen pasta when ready to serve if you need to stretch things a bit.

well because you are putting them in a container instead of a bag there is air in it so it is causing the freezer burn.

I recommend ziploc freezer bags that come with a little hand pump to pull all the air out. It works great. Not to mention foil isn't good for freezing items. cling wrap works better but only for a short period of time.

If your willing to spend a little more money walmart has a vacum sealer that comes with the plastic and size is adjustable. I think it runs anywhere from like 30 - 50 dollars for it.
we like to freeze chilli and other more winter meals such as beans and ham so that the excess doesn't go to waste.

For freezing meat, take it out of the store packaging. For pork chops or chick breast I wrap 2 to 4 in plastic wrap. Then I put it in a ziplock freezer bag. Try to squeeze out as much air as possible. It will last up to a year, however, I usually try to use it within 6 months.

When you put anything in the freezer that was not previously frozen, when you put it in the freezer make sure the cold air can circulate arround it, after it is frozen, you can stack it neatly.

A trick for meatloaf. I buy the meat in bulk. Then I mix up the meatloaf (enough for 3 or 4 meals). Then I line the loaf pan and shape the loaf, flip the meat out of the pan and finish wrapping and put in ziplock bag and freeze. When you ready for meatloaf for dinner, take out and defrost, unwrap, put in your loaf pan and bake.

By any chance do you have an older refrigerator that has the freezer section in the top. These types of freezers are good for ice cubes and frozen veggies, but do not get cold enough to freeze foods properly.

There was a post less than a week ago about eating poor. The woman had lost her job and was looking for recipes that she could make for low cost.l

all of the other answers are great....you have to remove the air, pack tightly, & use before 3 months!

I purchase fruit & vegies in bulk....at our farmer's market or at Soulard in St Louis, & freeze in ziploc bags. I also pick blueberries each summer & freeze those. All of these items last the year!

I noticed your other posting....good luck & I wish you Peace!

1 / 3