Freezing and Reheating Soup

Hi Moms, looking for info about cooking, freezing and then reheating soup. In all the stuff I've read online about this, they say that once the soup is frozen, you should thaw it in the refrigerator and then reheat it after that, but what if I want to go straight from frozen to reheated?

Can I just take the frozen soup, put it in a pot and slowly increase the temp until I heat it all the way? Is that bad?

Also wondering if maybe I'd be better off thawing in the microwave and then reheating? I'm not sure the best way to do this, I just know I want to make a big batch of soup and reheat single portions on the spot whenever I want to. :-)

Any advice or tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Ahhhh.. thank you all! Lots of good stuff here. I hadn't thought about the microwave/leeching plastic thing, but since so many people said it's ok to go from frozen to the stove that's the way that sounds good to me.

Here's the conclusion that I like given all your answers: go from freezer to counter (to let sit for a few minutes to get out of the container more eaaily). Then from counter to stovetop on low heat with a cover on, stirring regularly and breaking up chunks.

Thanks everyone!!

I thaw it in the microwave or in a crock pot, both w/o incident. I also refreeze with no problem.

SAHM of seven

S. - I'm not certain why you can't heat it slowly in a pot and why it needs to thaw in the refrigerator. But one thing I would recommend is to not thaw it in the microwave. the microwave has a tendency to eliminate some of the nutrients in the food. You took all that time to make it from scratch and freeze it for later, it would be a shame that it didn't hold the nutritional value because of the microwave. Also, any plastic in a microwave can release toxins into the food.

I have always taken frozen soup,put it in a pot with a little water and warmed it up that way.

SAHM of seven

Thawing on the stove top is completely safe. Thawing in the microwave is not advised if you thaw it in a plastic container. The plastic will leach into the soup.

Tupperware makes great containers called Vent 'N Serve. They are specially designed to go from freezer to microwave and can also be used as a serving bowl. The way they work is you put your leftovers in them and freeze. Then when it comes time to reheat, you pop a valve on the lid (the lid stays on during reheating), and then microwave to reheat. There are several different sizes to choose from. Please contact me if interested.
A.

I re-heat in a pan from frozen all the time. On low, or med heat and keep an eye on it so that it doesn't burn the parts that are thawed. Chili, Soup, etc., I've tried it all and it works great. Especially in a pinch.

I freeze homemade soup and pasta sauce all the time. Then I freeze it in single serving sizes for quick lunches and snacks. I thaw it in the microwave then heat it in a pan or I just do the whole thing in the microwave. Its quick and easy.

I love to make and freeze soup, it's the best. If you're looking to make single batches when you want them, why not make your big pot of soup and then freeze smaller bags that are the portion you would be looking for. I use freezer bags and lay them flat so when they freeze, they take up much less room. To thaw, you can simply immerse them in a bowl of hot water. You may need to change the water a few times but it thaws much faster that way vs heating on the stove from frozen.

Enjoy!

I think you should be able to reheat the soup in the microwave on 50% power. If you want to use a pan on the stove you might want to add some extra liquid to it instead of just putting it strait in a pot. What are you storing it in to freeze it? If it is a seal bag you should be able to just put the bag in boiling water on the stove.

1 / 3