Found a Bone in My Cereal....

Today while eating the Kroger brand frosted flakes, I found a bone. I chomped on it. I'm not a sue-happy kind of person, but I did email Kroger to let them know. Is this all I should do? I'm annoyed b/c it's pretty obviously a chicken bone and it was in my cereal! Plus, it was sharp and could have hurt a tooth or worse if swollowed. That didn't happen, but it could have if one of the younger kids was eating it. Besides informing the company, is there anything else that I should do? I'm not trying to sue anyone or anything. I just don't want anyone else to have to worry about it.

I understand not wanting to be "sue-happy" but I would not trust Kroger to actually do anything about it, accept maybe pull the ones that are on the shelf at that store right now.

With out embarrassing attention brought to it, there is no reason for them to do anything.

It costs them money to do anything, so they wont.

If you get a lawsuit or even the news involved, they then MUST do something to protect their own image, which is all that matters to them in the end, not the people who might choke or get sick.

Just my opinion.

B.:

My guess? rodent not chicken.

I had that happen with a General Mills cereal - not a bone but plastic piece...took a chomp and cracked my tooth - I saved the piece, called the 800 number and they took care of EVERYTHING - no kidding...I mailed the piece to them (certified mail) and they verified it was from a piece of their equipment - they paid my dentist bill in full DIRECTLY, I didn't have to pay out of pocket and they sent me probably $100 in coupons....

It's only happened once. I wasn't sue happy and they were wonderful to deal with.

Just my opinion.

B.:

My guess? rodent not chicken.

Dry heaving right now. I wouldn't be so sure it's a chicken bone either! Unless you know for sure that poultry meat is processed at the same plant as the cereal (probably not...as there are health codes to consider) it is more likely you just chomped on a rodent bone! (More dry heaving right now)

I know you don't want to be sue happy, but that is disgusting and horrifying as rodents carry serious disease that can make people very ill and they are notorious for urinating and leaving droppings everywhere they go. People are probably eating that too if you're finding bones. Plus, that rodent was probably one of many that have found their way in the cereal.

I'd be calling the media and a lawyer. Otherwise, you can bet Kroger won't be doing a darn thing about the bone. They probably lost your name and number after they put your coupon for a new replacement box of cereal in the mail.

Ewwww.

I'm sure they asked you for the lot number right? that way they will let the grocers all know to pull that lot number from the shelves. How the heck does a chicken bone get in cereal? Good grief! I guess it could have been worse tho huh? Dang.

oh please please say what happened!! i am truly intreged to hear what the store/company says!!!

I agree it could be a rodent bone, but it could also be from a bird - birds get into plants all the time and nest up in the rafters. You can see them all the time in the big warehouse club stores, big hardware stores, and so on.

I'm in the nutrition business, and I can tell you that it's appalling what is allowed in the food plants. A certain amount of rodent dropping and insect parts are actually allowed in our food! The FDA occasionally goes in to inspect, but they don't have enough people to do this. The only time any action is taken is when someone complains. Also, Kroger does not process their own cereal - they just buy it from the same company that does the "name brand" - the plant just puts the same cereal in a Kroger box. So that cereal is probably made by Kellogg's or Post or someone like that.

I would suggest you call the company directly, and also that you save the box and the bone. Report it to your state's consumer protection division (call the State Attorney General's office for specifics) and also to the FDA. I don't see why you can't call your local media either - call the consumer affairs reporter. The lot number from the box will indicate where & when the cereal was packaged so it will identify the plant. No reason a news station can't alert the public especially when the company has not responded to you.

And yes, you should take action. You don't have to sue them but you're right about safety - what if a child had choked on that bone?? And where are the rest of the bones from that animal? Someone else's kitchen? Make some noise about it - you'll be helping a lot of people.

Go on their website and call their 800 number. Speaking to someone is actually better than an email, I've worked in customer service for years and know this for a fact.

A few years ago I found foil pieces in a box of mac and cheese, not from Kroger. I'd been planning on serving it to my children so was understandably miffed. I called the 800 number and within an hour someone who specifically handled complaints called me back and asked if she could come out to take a report and pick up the box. She explained that they take these type of things very seriously and needed to know where it was manufactured, etc..

About 10 days passed after she came out and I received a call from her telling me they'd investigated the plant it came from and could not figure out how the foil got into the package. She also told me she was putting a letter to that effect in the mail to me and sending some coupons. OMGosh, I received oodles of coupons for free items, and when I went to the store and used them all at one time the woman behind me almost fainted when she saw my total go to zero!

Last year I had a problem with a bag of Up & Up diapers from Target, the tapes ripped off 3 of the diapers in the package when I went to fasten them. I called, they asked for the codes on the bag, where and when I purchased them, and sent me three $3 coupons that more than covered the price of the diapers.

And a friend of mine bought a 6-pack of Pepsi, and when they got home they found that one of the cans, though sealed, was completely empty. Pepsi sent them cases of soda when they complained.

Companies really want to hear when you have a problem with their products, so follow through with a call, tell them you emailed them but wanted to make sure they didn't overlook it, and be pleasant. Trust me, that will go a long way in them wanting to keep you happy!

id be pissed!!, im a vegetarian and i dont want bones in my cereal!

1 / 3