Formula Recommendations?

I may have to do some supplementing after 5 months of exclusively breastfeeding. I am not sure where I land with the formulas. I tend to want to go with something not cow's milk based but I am a little leary of Soy Formula. Any advice or suggestions or thoughts are welcome!!

Thanks everyone! Wow! I appreciate all of your feedback so much. I did go with Similac Soy Formula and my baby loves it. I do just a littel supplementing to get us through the hard hours but he has not been constipated or anything - yay! Will update you all if anything changes but so far so GREAT. Hey BTW...anyone know why most Soy Formulas are not organic?

Thanks Again,

While soy doesn't smell so wonderful, and isn't nearly as good as breast milk, it is so much better for baby than cow's milk. I hope you try it!

I recently went to a meeting where a women was talking about nutrition. The one thing she said was stay away from soy. YOu can do a search on the internet for it but one website i cam accross was http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/ The one thing that stood out to mean the she had mentioned was what soy can do to boys. Which is make them infertile. she recommened almond milk and organic formula.

I have an 11 month old and he's been on Enfamil, LactoFree since about 1 month old. We have loved it. My son rarely get gas and doesn't burp up often. I highly recommend it! Good luck!

I don't know much about the other formulas. We don't have any allergies in my family so we went with standard milk based formula and both my kids did great. If you do go with milk based check out cost-co kirkland brand. MUCH less expensive (it gets pricey once you start buying it regularly) than any other brand out there and has the same composition as Enfamil and Simalac. Good Luck

Is your concern allergies? Our second child was allergic to both dairy and soy, so formulas were a problem. For our third child, our allergist recommended supplementing breast milk with Nestle's Good Start formula, which is cow's milk based, but is hydrolyzed (the proteins are broken down) making it easier to digest and less likely to cause an allergic reaction.

Hello,

another suggestion if the goat's milk formula doesn't work is a raw-milk based formula. Many infants and people who seem to be allergic to pasteurized cow's milk do fine on raw cow's milk, and it also has many other health benefits -- my whole family drinks it now! I used a homemade raw milk formula to supplement breastfeeding for my youngest child, and even though he tended to be gassy and have stomach pains even with breastfeeding, he thrived on this formula.

I initially found the recipe for this formula in my favorite cookbook "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. Instead of transcribing the whole recipe, here is a link to a website that has several other recipes as well: http://www.realmilk.com/formularecipes.html. Good luck!

I would advise getting the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig, a fantastic nutrition book based on well researched ancestral nutrition and not the latest nutrition fad or the industry/government-based advice. Sally Fallon devised some very nutritious infant formulas you can make at home. Or you may be able to get the same info on westonaprice.org. If you can get raw goat's milk from a reliable source, it is also more similar to human milk than cow's, and my kids thrived on it. I would make soy formula your last choice, as unfermented soy can have de-mineralizing properties as well as hormonal ones. Soy and almond are common allergens also. Traditional Asians almost always fermented their soy and ate it in much smaller amounts than Americans tend to. I just noticed someone else recommending the same book, and agree about raw cow's milk also, but it is hard to get!

YES!! Goat milk dolled up with some extras. I, too, had to supplement, started with the traditional over-the-counter mixes and was very disappointed in the results. I always attributed the fussiness my son had about 1 hour after eating to just being tired. Well, turns out it was colic and it all changed when we tried the goat milk. The ingredients in the OTC mixes are also pretty poor in terms of good nutrition and healthy fats. I also would not go with a soy based formula, likely for the same reasons you express concern.

The goat milk is much closer to breast milk because the molecules are smaller and therefore easier to digest. The formula is as follows:

1 qt goat milk
1/2 tsp probiotic (we use Metagenics powder)
1 tsp Liquid Pediatric Vitamin (NF Formula)
1 tsp Fish Oil or Cod Liver oil (for omega 3 fatty acids) - Carlson's brand is a highly tested one that monitors mercury levels and is sold at Whole Foods
4 drops liquid folic acid

The best buy on goat milk is from trader Joe's (2.99 qt). The expense is definitely worth the happy baby on the other side. Happy baby = happy Mommy and Daddy :) Hope this helps!

1 / 3