Formula Feeding My Baby, HELP!

We are expecting our first baby very soon, and I am in need of help in figuring out the whole formula/bottle thing. I had breast surgery five years ago, and won't be able to breastfeed. Any help on what I need, won't need, and/or tricks of the trade. Also any type of formula that work well for you. Its all a bit overwhelming so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

My Dr. always recomended Good Start. I found it to be the most gentle and helps prevent constipation. Pick bottles without a lot of parts to clean. I like the Drop ins.

Good start by Nestle - it has diferrent age levels.

I always used the soy based. It's easy for digestion and a lot of babies are less likely to develop an allergic reaction - like vomitting
good luck !

I would highly recommend Dr. Brown's bottles. They worked well for both my children. I also would suggest not heating up bottles.

K.,
I too, was unable to nurse my first child. I'll private message you a copy of an email I sent to another friend who also needed bottle feeding help with an adopted child. Good Luck and congrats!!

good luck !

We used Enfamil Lipil formula - it was great and it has probably improved in the 6 years since I had to use it. We didn't know that there were different nipples for the bottles so we left the slow flow nipples on too long and it was taking forever for my son to drink his formula. So that's something to look for and figure out when to change nipples. We also bought the powder because it was cheaper and you can take it with you and mix with bottled water when you need it (it also comes in single serving packets).

I think that's about it. It's just a matter of what the baby likes and doesn't like. If he/she has problems with milk products you may have to change to another brand.

Good luck! And remember it gets easier every day!

I was also mystified by bottle feeding. (was planning to breastfeed, but it didn't work out) I'm so glad someone bought me a set of Avent bottles for my shower. Own a Dr. Brown bottle in case your baby is gassy you can test it to see if it helps. But its not worth cleaning the extra parts if your baby is not gassy. Invest in a box set of bottles to get good variety on size. Nipple hole sizes vary. Avent goes from a level 1-4. All sets are sold with newborn level one nipples. Many a seasoned mother swears by they playtex disposable inserts, but my kidlet never liked them. Avent can be finiky and leak, but its all in how you tighten the lid. They don't leak on me anymore. I learned sometimes its about loosening the lid, not tightening it. We started on Similac Advanced and swithched to Kirkland brand at 10 mo. Cleaning blottles is such a daily chore. Make it easy by owning enough bottles to get through the whole day and then some (9 bottle). I never sterilized my bottles past the firt use. I also realized my baby didn't care one way or the other about her milk being warm, so she gets a room temp bottle and it has saved me tons of time! Do do do however use filtred water. A Brita will do the trick to get rid of the lead. Its the lead you need to be most careful about. When she was newborn, I mixed a whole batch of formula and filled and refrigerated a days supply of bottles. Now I make as needed with room temp water (this way I don't have to heat the bottle!) You can buy bottle heaters, but seriously when your baby is screaming and you are waiting for those two minutes- forget about it. I used the microwave and shook the bottle for heat spots. Hot spots are a non issue if you shake your bottle. However, since I'm not a fan of the microwave and plastic thing, we do room temp. Another must have are the containers you fill of premeasured formula for your diaper bag. Also the premeasured packes of similac where outrageously handy on the go, but overpriced.

there are many different types of bottles, nipples, etc. out there but your baby will tell you which nipple he/she likes, so don't buy a whole system until you figure out which one the baby will take. with my first one i had a whole set of a more expensive brand & my daughter did not like it. in regards to formula, whichever brand you end up getting (enfamil, similac, etc.) try the wal-mart equivalent. it's just as good for about half the price. you can also send for sample packets from wal-mart. good luck!

Congrats!!!! I breast fed and formula fed my baby... couple of things.. even though you are going to formula feed I would still get the "Breast Friend" pillow it's great for the 2am feedings... also I tried several formulas before deciding which one was best for baby..... you'll get tons of sample from your OBGYN and hospital.. I'd say start there and see how the baby does... am sure you know formula tends to constipate babies so keep an eye on that... I ended up going with Enfamil LPL with Iron ;-) Powder formula is way easier and cheaper than liquid so get you baby to like that before doing liquid Oh BTW Dr. Brown's bottles are fabulous specially if you have a baby who has collic issues.. I also use the Playte drop in.. but they are kinda expensive and I think the Dr. Browns are better...
Best of luck.. am here if you have any other q's
Ciao
N*+*

Each baby is different. Start w/ the inexpensive formula first -- hope it works. Then work your way up until you find what is best for your baby, some babies require expensive prescription formula which can run you $500 a month! I never used a bottle warmer. I kept a big mug that I could heat h20 in micro then but bottle inside mug to warm formula. Shake well before serving. Test temp.
Don't stock up on bottles/nipples until you figure out what your baby likes. Have a few choices on hand then after you find the one, the invest in more bottles. I used to sterilize bottles, add boiling h20 then store in fridge for day(s) ahead. When baby is older, you get lax and find they'll drink formula made from room temp bottled water.

1 / 3