Formula Feeding and Cereal

I have a 3 and a half month old infant who in one feeding can eat up to 6-8 oz of formula, we tried to give her cereal but she didn't really want it, but does anyone have any suggestion on how to get her to eat it?

Thank you all for your advise. I think I am going to wait until She has her 4 month appt. and I will talk with the ped. more. Thanks again.
J. S.

My family doctor told me not to feed my infant solid food until she was 4 to 6 months old. I don't think you should worry about it yet.

She's much too young for cereal, you should wait until at least 6 months to even try that. Giving anythingn except breast milk or formula before 6 months can set them up for food allergies and/or sensitivities later in life, their little digestive systems just can't handle it! Just keep giving her the breast milk or formula on demand.

You can try mixing it in with the formula--thats what we did with both of mine around that age. I don't think we even attempted spoon feeding till 4 1/2 months with my daughter and 6 months with my son. I don't think at 3 1/2 months they are develpoed enough to be able to eat solid foods. Good luck

she seems a bit young for rice cereal. i don't think her tongue reflex would be developed to eat cereal. however, many people from older generations swear by a little bit of cereal mixed in with the bottle. you may have to puncture the nipple so that the thicker liquid cna flow thru. i don't think you need to start rice cereal until 4-6 months.
she'll know when she is ready for it...

A 3 1/2 month old is too young for cereal. She will still have the tongue thrust & her system is not set up to deal with solids. I think you should try making her more formula with each feeding. She may be going through a growth spurt.

First of all, I am wondering why you want to add cereal now. 6-8 oz of formula is not that much, really. Why not just continue formula, and feed her as much as she desires? I recommend adding cereal to the bottle this early if baby is waking several times a night obviously hungry, but otherwise I would not introduce any additional foods until baby shows interest in trying what you are eating, or has reached about 5-6 months, depending on weight.

I know they say not to put cereal in the bottle. But the first time I gave it to my daughter I put it in the bottle. I did that for a week or so then tried the spoon feeding thing and she seemed to take to it really well. Just a thought! Good luck!! Hope things get better!

doctors recommend starting rice at 4 months so 3.5 months is fine. my son (now 6 months) hated plain rice so we mixed applesauce in with it to give it more taste. the dr told us at our next visit that if he doesn't like it then we could just give him applesauce if he'll take it that way better. the rice stage isn't important at all it's just to help your child get an understanding of spoon feeding but if she doesn't like it skipping to regular foods is no biggie.

Dear J.,
I am a paraprofessional in a healthcare field and have a lot of really great mentors. All my sources tell me that if you start a baby on cereal sooner than six months of age, you set him/her up for developing allergies later in their childhood.
I would definitely suggest you wait! Hope taht helps!
Blessings!
J. F.

Hi there... I have a 21 month old son and a 4 month old baby girl... they both would take 6 to 8 onces also... My baby girl already weighs almost 18lbs... she is a big girl... she was getting up every two hours for a bottle and I was giving it to her... My dr. suggested having one last bottle at night and call it a night. He said that any baby that is that big and eating that much at a time isn't going hungry she is just taking the food as a habit and a comfort. I also told him I was feeding her cereal and she was gobbling it right up and he said it was really to early for that. Studies show that feeding to early can result in obesity... anyway... I listened to him and she will wake up one time 2 hours later after her last bottle and cry a little but then will go back to sleep through the night!!! so... I know the situations are different.. but, this info really worked for me!! Good Luck!!!

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

cereal formula feeding