Forget About the Sleep Issues, Now I'm Angry!

I know that when people say things about your family, most people take it personal, Well every time I go the the grocery store, or good ol' Walmart, Their is always someone to comment that my baby girl is larger then other 8 month olds. Even his family say things that really make me angry, and even my boyfriends grandma says she needs those high top booties or else she will break her ankles and never walk!!!! Listen I am not a mom who believes that their can be nothing wrong with my child, I am a realistic person, and I know when a baby has weight issues and when a baby has baby rolls, My daughter is not obese, she was 7lbs 15oz, pretty much 8lbs, I was 8lbs when I was born, So my ISSUE is how can I deal with these comments, how do I not let it affect me? and I know this is only the beginning!!!!!! lol :) help!

Thanks everyone, The more I thought about it the more I realized that she is an awesome baby, I don't overfeed her, and the doctor said she was in the high 70%, but that she was fine, and like you all said, when she starts walking and moving more she will lose most of it :( I am 27 years old and most of my life i have let others words effect me and slowly I am realizing that what people say should not bother me nor effect me, thanks everyone!!!!!!

S.,

Can you just smile and say "she's beautiful, isn't she!" any time you get a comment. My older son has autism and we get unkind remarks frequently. You can't control how other people act, only how you do.

:-)T.

HEALTHY babies are chubby, especially breast fed babies, that's how you know they're healthy!!! Tell them that or just ignore them.

Hi S.!
First of all I'm sorry for the inappropriate comments people and especially family are making towrds your child!
Thats just straight out rude!
Hey I was almost 10 lbs when I was born and I turned out just fine! I mean you'd never really know now I'm just a shorty wih a booty but not obese!
I know its hard to deal with the comments you're receiving but think about it. An average child at 8 months has about tripled their birth weigt. So your daughter should weigh around 24lbs. If she is heavier, what the hell she is an 8 month old and just healthy. Se is too young to be worrying about her weight. If she is eating she is probably sleeping better!
To deal with what people are saying, make humor out of it! Spin it around back at them if they continue to be rude! Remember people make mean or inappropriate comments when they have insecurities of their own. Take it easy, relax, no high tops needs they might rub and irritate her skin. Just keep her active and she'll be fine!
Best wishes!

L. Garcia

Hi S....I feel your pain. People constantly tell me how big my boys are (I have twins), but you just have to do your best to ignore them. People are rude and you are never going to change that. Take pride in knowing that your little girl is well taken care of and well fed. Your pediatrician will tell you if he/she thinks your little girl is overweight. I know its hard, but just try not to let everyone hurt your feelings. I hear it only gets worse as time goes on. Oh and stay away from walmart...I HATE going there with my boys I am stared at from the second I walk in until the second I walk out and it creeps me out!

S.,

It's so sad and ridiculous when people can't keep there mouths shut or just mind their own business. My son was 3lbs. 4oz. 14ins. and 8 weeks early, so I knew he was going to have some catching up to do. And, I resigned myself to that fact about day two when the nurses kept telling me 'he won't always be this tiny'. But, four months into it he was still 'tiny' and people would ask me how many weeks he was and when I responded they'd look at me like we were a side show in a carnival.

Then, out of nowhere he got 'chubby' at about 7 mos and people would gawk and make comments and friends would make comments about how chunky he was...it killed me. I cried one day in front of my family when someone said something about him being 'tubby'. Especially, since some people's opinions were that it was because I was a single Mom and overcompensating for something by over feeding my son!

The only reassurance I got was from my Mom and my son's doctor. Kids as they grow go through ALL kinds of growth spurts, and my son's doc told me he was fine and that the 'chubby' cheeks and thighs would eventually be a thing of the past once he started walking and you know what they are!

It hurt to hear and see people being so insensitive and rude. But, don't worry do what you can to ignore the comments and enjoy your little one. Once, she starts moving she'll lean up and it will be a thing of the past.

My sister and I were 'chubby' babies and I see pics of me 9lbs and my sister 10lbs (almost 11 at birth) and we're both petite and fairly slender women. We get a laugh out if it here and there, but don't worry you're doing a great job and just keep loving that little one.

People are really odd and just don't get it. Sometimes myself included. I don't think the issue is the weight of look of your child but how and why it upsets You so much.

Does it make you feel like a bad mom? Do you feel your doing something wrong and it's your fault? Were you teased as a child about your weight? Do you feel bad about yourself?
You will quickly say no but really take awhile why it is quite and think about how you feel about yourself!
I think only then when you truthfully get answers of yourself will you no longer be concerned with insensitive people in the world. Lots of Love and be good to yourself.

S.,

:-)T.

At 8 months old, there is NOTHING wrong with having a chunky monkey. Chunky babies are SOOOOO cute. The first thing you need to do is get some thicker skin. People, family included, are ignorant & rude at times. Easier sid then done, I know, but you'll feel so much better if you learn to ignore most ignorant comments. I would respond to those comments by saying "I know, I just love my little butterball." or with humor "You better watch what you sy, it won't be long before she can kick your butt!" If the comments get really bothersome, you need to politely tell people that your doctor says she's perfectly healthy and your insulted that they would suggest otherwise.

Congrats on your daughter & good luck!!!

S.,

I too was a big baby (8.6) and have always been a big girl (not fat-big boned). If your daughter is big too then she's just a healthy baby. Don't let peoples opinions bother you so much. I know it's hard not to be defensive (my son is 6 and was almost 11 lbs. at birth)because its your child and thats natural for you to feel offended BUT repeat this mantra in your head; "it's not a critisism, it's just an observation." That seemed to help me with all the comments on the size of my son. Then after that comment went away as he aged (although he's very tall now, he's so much leaner then when he was a baby) the new comment I get is "wow, he has really big ears" - I feel that defensiveness come back when I hear that but repeat my mantra and it subsides.

I believe no one means to insult you. That's not their intention. That's why the mantra works for me because after I say it I then think about the person who said it to me and when I think on it long enough I know that it really wasn't their intention.

I hope it works you - I adore my son and tell him everyday how lucky I feel that I got to be his Mom. He doesn't seem to care so much about all the "wow-he's only 6" - I think he is a bit shy because of the attention though. I too got that ALL my life because I am now and always have been above average in height and weight.

Anyway, hang in there. I hope this will help a little. Either way, sounds like you're a loving, caring mother. That's what's MOST important. You're her mom and what you say really matters most to her now - not what others say.

Take care.

Just one more to add... I think that most people think that chubby babies are adorable!! They may not be saying, "OH look how chubby she is," to be rude, but just for the fact that chubby babies are just about the cutest thing in the world! Everyone knows (or should know) that having a chubby baby does not by any means, mean that she is going to be a chubby child or adult. When I was a baby everyone lovingly called me chubby cheeks. Believe it or not I grew up with a complex that I was too skinny. So in other words, some people may just being rude, but I think the majority of people just can't resist an adorable chubby baby. You know your baby is healthy and that is what matters!

1 / 3