For All Your Working Parents How Do You Do It?

Here is the situation:
My daughter is 3 and will be going to a Elementary school in August through the FDLRS program. I used to work for my dad so I had flexibility in my schedule when she was sick or had days off she came to work with me. Now I have gotten a new job due to circumstances beyond our control and I will be working 8-5. No biggie, but since she is going to a public school she will have all those vacations, 1 week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas and 1 week for spring break. I obviously can't ask for that kind of time off so I was wondering what working parents due with their children when they are young and have to stay home from school? Both of my parents work and her dads parents live in England and I really don't have a close relationship with someone to ask them to watch her cause that is asking an awful lot.
Any advice is so appreciated!!!!! I have no idea what to do??

Thank you all for your great advice. My mom is going to come live with us so that she can be there for my little one. This way she won't have to go to before and after care and also camp in the summers. I will have someone with her that I can trust and I know that my little one will be so excited cause she loves her Grammy!!!
Thank you once again!!

There are many excellent day care programs for school age children. Many offer pick up service from the school. If you are near Clearwater, try JMAC Kids, 2177 NE Coachman Rd, Clearwater, FL, call Charla Bradley for more info ###-###-####. The kids stay so busy with activities they do not have time to be bored. The staff is very caring.

Hi R.,

They have after school programs at school but I don't like them because there are so many children, bullying etc. My daughter (6 now) comes home after school but this summer and for other school breaks she goes to the daycare. Check with your local daycares and see what kind of programs they offer. They have fun programs for the kids everyday. Make sure they won't be just sitting around and fending for themselves. Daycares are hurting now and should have vacant spots for after schoolers on a as needed basis.

I hope I helped!

C. B.

R.,

I work at Kidstation in Spring Hill. It is a daycare center from infant to age 5 and afterschool as well. We offer childcare for the summer also. Give the owners a call and you can get some more information or come by for a visit. There are a great group of teachers that work there and a family atmosphere as well. They owners are very flexible and will do the best to help accommodate you. Hopefully you live in the area and that we can help you out. The address is 10508 Northcliffe Blvd. Spring Hill, Fl 34608 and phone number ###-###-####.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

M

I work basically the same hours and I have my daughter enrolled in before and after care. On holidays they are open all day and they keep your child on holidays, also days that have half days. I dont think they do it on christmas or thanksgiving but most of the other holidays they keep your child.

Public School gets our before 5:00. What are you doing for after school care? They usually offer something for the kids during the vacation time. Also look into your local community centers. They usually may not offer anything for after school, but will offer something during vacation times. Good Luck!

I have always raised my son on my own so I have always had to work full time. The usual places that offer before and after care usually offer care on school holidays. Since my son started Kindergarten last year, I enrolled him in the PLACE program at his elementary school. They are open most of the days that are school holidays. The very few that they aren't open, I have found coincide with work holidays as well. Which leaves me with only a couple a days a year that I might have to miss work (in which I try to use a vacation day).Ask the elementary school in your area about similar programs or alternative programs for working parents. I know the front office at my son's school keeps a lot of brochures for local daycares and after school programs that the school actually busses the children to and from during the school year (for those not enrolled in the on site childcare program).

Your daughter might be a little young for this, but a lot of places in Tampa offer child care when school is out. I know that MOSI does this and I think the YMCA also offers this. You might also call a county afterschool program and see what they do. You might also want to look into a daycare and see what options they offer for part-time care.

Your going to need daycare in summer as well? I would work something out with daycare that she will attend in summer, the fact that she is three will be difficult as those rooms are typically full, but my school age child just attends the daycare she attends during the summer during those breaks (her three year old sister goes to the daycare part time). Good luck

1 / 3