Foods That Induce Labor

I am wondering if anyone has tried any of the so called labor inducing foods (pineapple, eggplant parmesan, licorice, rapsberry tea, etc.) to induce labor. I would like to plan on having my baby during the weekend so after 37 weeks if the doctor says its okay then I thought I would try eating these foods to see if they worked. My doctor WILL NOT induce just because I want a convient weekend birth. They will only do it if there is a problem or you are 2 weeks overdue. I want a weekend birth because of my husbands job and my son being in school. I'm not planning on doing anything risky just for the sake of a convenient birth, I am just wondering if anybody has used these foods to induce labor and if they really work. If you have any advice please let me know if it worked and which food worked best.

I have heard of people that have tried many things in the past, but I think that when the baby is ready to come it will come & not a minute before. Good luck anyway, I know how you feel.

I've had some friends who tried a few of those and none really worked. You really just have to hope the baby comes...but I wouldn't count on her coming on the weekend for you. Plus, school or work will have to wait...you won't just be popping back to life right after having a baby. :)

Good luck! :)

Foods don't work neither does that laxative some say to try all it does is make you (poo). Sex, it was either really time or it really worked had sex on a friday night and on saturday night I was going into labor..sunday morn at 5:30 a.m. i had a baby. My dorctor was the one who suggested it and I wasn't really in the mood to go home and and be romantic I wanted the baby out...we did it and like I said it was either the baby wanting out also or the sex really worked.

Italian food is supposed to do the trick and I have several friends that it worked for. There is a restaurant in the Atlanta area that is famous for putting more women into labor than any other. One of my good friends ate pizza and drank one glass of red wine the night before she went into labor with all 3 of her kids(one glass is not going to hurt anything). I also have another friend that ate at that restaurant and it worked. I am blanking out on the name of the place, but it is Italian and I think it is in the Marietta area.

I went to Scallini's three times for their eggplant parmesan and no dice. Rats! Anyway, labor comes when the time is right for your body and for the baby's. I had a friend do the Castor oil thing but it was on her fifth -- so her body was well-versed in the baby-having thing... And she was already at 8 cm by the time she got to the hospital. I can say it might work but I still would not do it. Expect the labor to come at the least convenient time! argh!

You can try talking to your OB again closer to time. If the baby's big enough and if you have a good enough argument (i.e. if it might actually be a real problem for you to go into labor while your husband's at work and you're alone with your son) maybe he/she will reconsider...

Huh? Why on earth would you want to plan a weekend birth after 37 weeks?? There is a reason that docs won't even induce until you are 42 weeks or more! All the foods and herbs, accupressure, etc. in the world will most likely not produce the baby on a 'schedule'. Since you asked for opinions, I would relax and just let your body do what nature intends. Your baby will be much healthier and happier because of it..

Good luck! :)

I personally wouldn't try anything to make the baby come sooner. Even at 37 weeks some babies are born with lung problems. She'll come when she is ready. I applaud your doctor for sticking to his guns. Way too many doctors and moms are opting to induce early labor because it's "convenient."

I've only heard of using castor oil (not recommended) but I'd encourage you to let your 'little one' stay in the 'cooker' as long as she needs. Best Wishes!

I did the eggplant parmesan thing and it did not work. (I did it for fun and hoped. lol)It's really just a matter of when the baby is ready. But as far as red raspberry tea...that is good to drink throughout your pregnancy. It definitely couldn't hurt (no matter what you may have heard.

Now as far as getting it going, there is an herbal formula that is recommended to use the last 6 weeks of your pregnancy. It's found at www.herbsfirst.com. It's called "Prenatal Formula", but it helps with an easier delivery.

1 / 3