Foods Tasting like ASHES! Ewwww!!!!

I am 31 weeks pregnant as of today (Jan. 31st) and I have been having a hard time with eating. I've been snacking a lot lately, because, at least once a week, I'll eat something, whether it is a component in an actual meal, or a small part of a light snack and my food will taste completely disgusting, like burnt to ashes. Even if it is not cooked. I had a grilled cheese sandwich one day (made them for the daycare children for lunch, and no, it wasn't burnt, lol) and it tasted like ashes, I couln't finish it. Then more recently, I was snacking on Cheese Its, and suddenly, after biting into one I tasted ashes. It's driving me crazy, I feel like I am losing my appetite because of it, I am avoiding foods because I don't want to taste it. Anyone else experience this while pregnant or something similar? Just curious.

Thanks in advance...

Savannah

Yikes, I'm so sorry! I don't know if this will help, but when I was pregnant with my youngest, for about half my pregnancy, I walked around with my mouth tasting like I'd been sucking on pennies. It was revolting, and I had a really hard time getting rid of it. But for some reason, sucking on ice cubes really did the trick for me. It would get rid of that taste long enough that something else might taste good.

The other thing I thought of (and maybe this is just because I crave fruit when I'm pregnant) is keeping some fresh fruit nearby. If you get that terribly burnt taste, maybe a taste of light, fresh fruit would help counteract it. I never had this particular problem, but it seems like something that tastes just the opposite might help, and then maybe you can eat some more of something else.

Good luck, and congratulations on your impending arrival!

i googled "bad taste and pregnancy" and got a lot of articles including these tips...http://www.parenting.com/parenting/pregnancy/article/0,19...

not sure if it will help, but amazing what you can find on the internet these days....good luck with your last few weeks!

well, first of all i have heard of this and i think its pretty common is pregnant women. i would talk to your doctor. isn't called pica or something? second-i couldnt help but reply b/c i have a question for you! i am 30 weeks pregnant and doing daycare, as well. im not sure how to do the maternity leave-what are you doing? i have arranged two weeks paid-but am just curious what other moms in a similar situation do? thanks

Savannah,
Looks like you got some good advice as far as using acidic foods to cut through the nasty taste and water to wash away. Definately fruit is a great idea.
Just a note, both of the foods you mentioned (grilled cheese and Cheezits) contain (dat-da-dah!) CHEESE. Perhaps your body is not in favor of dairy right now. . Have you noticed any other foods that are particularly bothersome? Try eliminating those classes of food from you diet for this time.
Ray

It's called Dysgeusia. Very common in pregnancy.

What it is: Dysgeusia is the medical term for a change in your sense of taste; most often, you'll get a sour or metallic taste (yuck!) that persists even when you're not eating.

What causes the metallic taste: Hormones, and in particular estrogen, seem to play a role in controlling and moderating our sense of taste. And when you're pregnant, estrogen levels — and hence your sense of taste — may fluctuate widely. Plus, your sense of taste and your sense of smell are intimately connected, so pregnancy-related changes in your sense of smell may also lead to dysgeusia.

What you need to know about it: For something we don't hear much about, dysgeusia is surprisingly common in pregnancy. Like morning sickness, it should get better (or, if you're lucky, disappear altogether) in your second trimester when those hormones begin to settle down a bit.

What to do about it: Try banishing that metallic taste with acids. Focus on sour flavors such as citrus juices, lemonade, and — assuming your tummy can handle them — foods marinated in vinegar (pickles anyone? After all, you are pregnant). All these foods not only have the power to break through the metallic taste in your mouth, they also increase saliva production, which will help wash it away. You might also talk to your practitioner about changing your prenatal vitamin; some seem to lead to metal mouth more than others.
Another trick: Try brushing your tongue each time you brush your teeth, or rinse your mouth with a mild salt solution (a teaspoon of salt in eight ounces of water) or a baking soda solution (1/4 teaspoon baking soda in eight ounces of water) a few times a day to neutralize pH levels in your mouth and keep away that flinty flavor.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-soluti...

Hi Savannah, Wow we could be twins!! I am 31, pregnant, and cant eat hardly anything. Only difference, my food doesnt taste like ashes. I cant even get most of it in my mouth. It smells bad! These pregnancy hormones are really strange! I will sit for an hour staring at all the food and nothing will smell right to me. I have to snack on things, but even my snacks dont seem right. It seems that I can eat something once, and not again. I am also in the process of becomming a daycare mom. Any advice you can give me on being a daycare mom would be great. I am not planning on starting my business until my baby is born. Good luck with your pregnancy. And just think, it will be over soon. April is not too far away. L.

1 / 3