Flying with an Infant - Woodridge,IL

Hi. I havent flown w/an infant for some time, so I was wondering if u ladies could offer some tips for flying w/a 7 month old. Any packing tips to make things as easy as possible? Other tips r appreciated:)

When my daughter was 6 months old, my husband had a business trip to AZ and we decided to make it a mini family vacay. I cringe at the sound of a screaming/kicking kid on a plane where there's no escape...So, not wanting to be "that" parent, I planned the ride to coincide w her feeding time...plenty of snacks and a bottle then nap time. It worked out very well until the last 5minutes before touchdown coming home...had to improvise by letting her tear up the sky mall mag (which was actually very entertaining to her). Good luck!

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/index.shtm

Are you taking your car seat? Or is the kiddo flying on your lap?

LAP:
- YOU need to potty before boarding. You'll be stuck with the (hopefully sleeping) kid on your lap the whole trip.
- pack a DVD player with fav Baby Mozart videos.
- a couple of fav toys and books
- small blanket

NURSING?:
- you are allowed to bring breastmilk in a bottle (see tsa link above)
- perhaps pack a nursing cover. It's easy to nurse on take-off so the baby's ears pop.

ALSO:
- plenty of extra diapers. PLENTY in case of diarreah and in case of layovers.
- an extra outfit for her and an extra shirt for you (in case of a blowout)
- wipes
- hand sanitizer

Instead of a purse or a suitcase, use a backpack for your carry-on. It will give you one extra hand.

Some great advice here already. I've flown many times with my 2 kids. At the age your baby is, here are my tips:

- Bring a bag that you can hang on your stroller...plan so things are as hands-free as possible. Have your ID and cash in an easy-to-reach place for being able to grab them quickly when you're checking in, going through security, and in any little airport stores.

- Use an umbrella stroller for the airport. Something light you can fold up with one hand (or ask another traveler in the security line to help while you hold the baby) - because you are required to pass the stroller through the security belt. Don't bring a bulky heavy one. You can use the stroller all the way to the gate...while you're waiting in the gate area to board, ask a gate agent to 'gate check' your stroller for you. Then you can stroll it all the way to the gate and they will return it right where you get off the plane.

- After you've gone through security, buy a bottle of water if you're going to need one to make formula...if you're nursing, then no worries....get the water for yourself. :) Don't assume you'll get anything quickly (or at all these days!) on the plane. Make sure you have any snacks you're going to need (those Gerber puffs if your baby is eating those yet, a banana, Baby Mum-Mums, and a few little snacks for you too).

- Before you get on the plane - go to the bathroom! The last thing you want to have to deal with on the plane is peeing in that tiny bathroom while holding a 7 month-old! Make sure to change the baby's diaper before you board too! Target also sells disposable changing mats...get the box that has the 10 count...they are big enough to cover the entire nasty changing tables in the airport!

- Get some of those scented plastic bags (Arm & Hammer makes them)...you can pick them up at Target in the baby section...they also have cute little dispensers for them...in the unlucky event of a poopy diaper or baby throw-up on the plane. Those bags are awesome because you can basically hide any smell with them, so other passengers won't have to smell anything. Be sure to bring a change of clothes for your baby...an outfit that folds up super small to maximize space in your bag.

- Personally I don't bring my baby's car seat (I either check it or rent one on the other side). I can't handle all of that bulk. Planes are tiny enough to begin with and managing a huge infant seat into that mess is something I wouldn't do.

- Bring a blanket ... something not too bulky. But perfect if the plane is too cold, baby falls asleep, anyway at some point you'll be happy you have it.

- If your child were older I'd also suggest bringing a portable DVD player, but I don't think that's necessary at this age. Do get a couple of brand-new fun toys and books. Make sure to encourage drinking something or using a pacifier during takeoff and as soon as the pilot announces the descent (that one is usually worse on ears).

I agree with everything Jess suggested.

Next week we will be flying with 3 kids under age 5. I will have an umbrella stroller, but I will also wear the baby in my ERGO carrier after we get through security, primarily so that at boarding time I can have my hands free.

I will have a backpack for my carry-on, even though I LOVE my diaper bag.

If you are BFing, great! If you have to pack formula, I highly recommend the packets that Enfamil has, each of which make a 4 oz bottle when mixed with water (purchase from the convenience stores in the airport after you go thru security.)

Diaper cream & a small bottle of hand sanitizer in a small clear plastic bag in your backpack (under the 3 oz rule).

If the baby will be on your lap, you must bring the birth certificate, even though it should be quite obvious that he/she is nowhere near 2 yrs old. When we flew with my 9 month old the ticketing agent at Southwest almost denied us an infant boarding document since we didn't bring the birth certificate. We would have been stranded in Cali.

Try to bring toys that attach so you don't have to be digging around under the seat if it is dropped.

Well, first you get a t-shirt to wear on the plane with the words, "I'm Sorry" printed in giant letters. NO! I'm just kidding!! It will all be fine and cranky people on planes need to be reminded of when they also had babies and had to travel.

Plenty of bottles, or a passie for take off and landing to help her ears. The little ones like this are fairly easy. Little hand held toys that will distract her. Maybe you computer with a dvd drive and the baby eistein videos that have the music with lots of colorful pictures to draw her eye. That's all I've got.

ETA: JessInTexas is so smart! You can tell she has done this more recently.

I traveled with my daughter to India when she was 6 months old. The one thing I can tell you is don't overpack! Take a few of the baby's favorite toys (nothing with music) - maybe something new and shiny. Take an umbrella stroller. Have the baby drink some water/milk while taking off and landing. And some cheerios or small snack to keep him/her occupied. I think if you take things like DVDs etc for that small an age, it is just more of a hassle! Also, keep 2 small separate pouches/ziplocs with a diaper and some wipes and a onesie - if you need to change the baby, you can just grab one and go and then put the old dirty diaper in the ziploc bag before you trash it!

Good luck. Just stay calm and don't overthink it. The baby will sense your stress! Enjoy your trip :)

In addition to everything Jess told you, bring an umbrella stroller. They will let you use it all the way to the door of the plane. Dress her lightly for going through security, and then put an extra outfit on her for the plane, because the plane tends to be cold.

Good luck! It's not easy flying with a 7 month old!

Stay calm-don't worry about the crying and the other people, just your baby. Calm you +clam baby. Enjoy it not often you have nothing to do, but hold your baby. Make sure he/she is sucking on something on the way up and down to pop his ears as the altitude chances.

Double diaper if it is a long ways. Zip lock bag to put a poop diaper into.

1 / 3