Flying with a Pack N Play

We're going to be flying with our 15 month old next month and would like to take our Pack N Play. I've never taken a Pack N Play on an airplane. Do I check it, or carry it on, or have it stowed underneath with the strollers?

Thanks for all your great replies! I called the hotels and inns ahead of time, asking them if their cribs were Pack 'N Plays, and sure enough they were. So we ended up not bringing our own and just using those in the hotel. One Pack 'N Play was an older model, though, so the fitted sheets we brought along were too small. We just used a regular top sheet, folded it many times, and tucked the edges under the Pack 'N Play mattress. My daughter slept in it as well as would be expected for a baby in a new environment. Thank you all again!

Most hotels have the Pack n Plays, even if they call them a crib. Just call ahead to ask and reserve one. Believe me, you'll have enough stuff with traveling with a baby (carseat, bags of toys, etc.), so leaving this at home will save some space and headaches. I always bring my own sheet and just wipe the whole thing down with sanitary wipes.

Just thought I'd throw this out there, if you are staying in a hotel most hotel have pack n play's you can use. Just ask for a crib in the room. It might just make things easier for you.

I just got back from vacation with my 9 month old. If you are staying at a hotel call them and ask if they provide cribs. Ours did. It may cost a littlt bit more for the room but it was worth it. That was one less thing I had to remember. If you do need to bring one check it with your bagage.

I just went to Europe with my kids and took a Pack N Play for my daughter to sleep in. Check it in.
Take as little with you on the plane as possible! Check in everything else. All I had was a backpack for diapers, water, food and some toys. Everything else was checked in....
Also, gate check the stroller. I don't believe in having my kids watch TV all the time, so I didn't have a portable DVD player like some moms suggest.... I just went to the dollar store and bought a few new toys for them to have on the plane....my kids did great - my daughter slept most of the way both ways (10 hour flight each way) and my son was playing with toys....

Check it with the luggage.

Where are you going? Most places have cribs available. Like the beach houses we rent when on vacation have cribs you can rent. Even many hotels have them. (or use to)

Going to visit family? No one has a playpen that isn't being used?

You risk your playpen getting lost. And you will have to pay to take it along. I'm thinking that you could almost buy one for what they will charge you to check it there and back.

I BROUGHT A PACK N PLAY TO EUROPE & WE CHECKED IT WITH THE REGULAR LUGGAGE BECAUSE i GATE CHECKED THE STROLLER TO GET ME FROM GATE TO GATE--OR TO RETREIVE LUGGAGE, yOU WILL NOT BE NEEDING IT UNTIL YOU PICK UP YOUR LUGGAGE & LEAVE THE AIRPORT SO i SUGGEST CHECK IT LIKE LUGGAGE & GATE CHECK YOUR STROLLER SO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO WHEEL THE BABY AROUND IN THE AIRPORT. OH & DONT FORGET YOUR PORTABLE DVD PLAYER--ITS A LIFE AND SANITY SAVER!
A.

S.,
If you do end up bringing it, you have to check it because it is too large to carry on and they won't allow you to gate check it like they would a stroller. (be prepared for an extra fee) Also, last time we traveled, we had to sign a release form because the airlines won't be responsible for damage since we only had it in the flimsy bag that comes with the pack-n-play.

I flew overseas with ours and checked it in and it was no problem. I know they will let you gate check a stroller or car seat but I don't know about a Pack N Play. It's probably too big to carry on I would think.

I have flown with my daughter ever few months since she was 2 months old. I strongly suggest not to take it with you if you are staying at a hotel. You can reserve a portable crib at a hotel (which 9 times out of 10 is a pack n play). I always carried with me a fitted sheet for a pack n play as well as a fitted sheet for a portable crib so I'd be covered no matter what the hotel supplied.

The airline will toss it around whether it's checked or goes underneath. It is too big to be a carry-on. It will end up damaged or ruined.

I've taken a pack n play and i've checked it in. It's very large and awkward so I wouldn't recommend taking it on the plane. One thing - put it in a bag. Mine came with a carrier bag but I also put it in a big garbage bag and put duct/masking tape ALL OVER IT. It protected it from scrapes and small tears. It still looks brand new!

1 / 3