Flying with 15 Month old....carseat?

In a few weeks my husband and I are going to brave a plane ride to Florida with our 15 month old. We bought three tickets so we'd have plenty of room. I have read that the FAA reccommends using a car seat on the plane, but for the life of me, I can't ever remember seeing a carseat on a plane! Do we check the carseat and hold her during takeoff? Do we actually bring the seat on the plane and attach it to the seat? Any advice, tips, ideas would be great!

When my son was young (probably 15-18 months) I did use a car seat in the airplane. I think it was helpful having him strapped in rather than relying on the little seat belt the airplane has.

When we traveled with the boys we bought a Sit N Stroll. It is awesome!! It is a car seat (both forward and backward facing), booster seat, a certified airline safety seat and stroller all in one. It holds a child up to 40 lbs. It saves having to tote so many different items with you while traveling. They cost about between $200 & $250 for a new one. You may be able to find a used one as well on Craigslist or EBay. If you are in Phoenix, I am ready to sell mine. I highly recommend it. Whenever we traveled everyone with kids would stop and ask us about it.

yes, bring it with you...it's much easier. If there isn't room or the car seat isn't FAA approved, they can gate check it. And it will be waiting there when you get off. You can do that with your stroller too, it's great! No chance of either getting lost.

When my son was 3 I took him back east, he had a ticket of course and yes I brought the car seat. I put it in his seat and attached it with the planes seatbelt then set him in it and harnessd him. that was the only time. the first plane ride he took he was barely one and we lapped him.

I have flown with my son twice and the first time when he was just over a year old and a car seat wasn't required and I just held him on my lap, but the second time that I flew with him he was a little over 2 and a car seat was required. I would just check with the airline that you're flying with to make sure. When I flew with my son each time, I had his pacifer with me for take off and landing. This really helped him out! My son was very good on the plane each time and the stewards will help you if you request it. I hope that this helps!

Thanks,

I.

P.S. There will be people who complain because you have your child with you, just ignore them because more than likely your little one will be just fine. Have a fun & safe trip!!

Hi J., When we traveled with our little one, we took the seat on the plane until he was 18 months old. After that, we checked it with our luggage, so we had it at our destination. I personally felt better having it on the place for his safety at that age. T.

Hi, J. -
I flew with a 4 month old, and we did actually use the carseat on the plane. It worked out great because she had her familiar spot to sleep in and did well on the plane. A couple of things to know, though - the carseat is not allowed to be in the center seat between you and your hubby because it blocks the exit of whomever is in the window seat. The carseat will be required to be at the window seat. That was kind of a hassle. The other thing to know is that airplane seats are only about 15 inches wide and some carseats are wider than that. If you drag your carseat on board and then it won't fit you've gained nothing. At 15 months, I think I would hold her during takeoff, then put her in her own seat with a seatbelt for the duration of the flight. Might I also recommend snacks, snacks, snacks, and a portable DVD player. Have a great trip!

Up until this year my girls always sat in their own car seat on a plane. It was the best way to go (for us anyway) when the kids were littler. I have a six year old, two five year olds and a three year old. For my girls, they know their careseats and it was a comfort for them. Plus, the five point harness is much better then the plane seatbelt. It keeps them in their seat! You should have an opportunity to board before most of the plane because you are traveling with a toddler so you will have plenty of time to walk on the plane and get your carseat buckled in. Relax, have a great trip and no worries! Don't forget to take lots of snacks and I always go to the store and get new different toys that my kids have never played with and that buys a lot of time on the plane. Nothing expensive just something simple.

I have 2 sons ages 3 and 6 and we put them in their carseats on planes until they were about 2 1/2. They squirm less being strapped in and act like they do in the car. If he is not in his carseat, he will be in constant motion the whole plane ride. The carseat has to go on the window seat. It is hard to carry it through the airport, so we usually put the carseat on top of the stroller to get to the gate, then check the stroller at the gate, and carry the carseat on the plane. Your stroller will be waiting for you (or will be there soon) as you step out of the plane before you walk up the tunnel.

Yes, take your carseat on and seatbelt it in just like you would in a car. It will definitely make your flight more enjoyabl,as your baby will be comfortble and will probably sleep for about half the flight. A 15 month old is too small to be seatbelted in safely on a plane and too big to hold the whole way. I have 4 children and have traveled extensively with them an figured this out the hard way. Also, if you travel frequently, you may want toinvest in a sit-n-stroll, as it is a stroller that converts easily to a carseat. It save you fom haviing to take bothe the stroller and carseat. Good luck!

1 / 3