Flushed Face Duering Late Pregnancy

HI moms,
i am 35 weeks along and the last few days people have been telling me that my cheeks look red. does anyone know if this is a sign of high BP? I have a regular appointment tomorrow, but am wondering if i should go get checked out today. I dont feel great but I haven't felt good the whole pregnancy.

I would call and at least talk to the OB nurse about it. It could be a sign. Are you swelling at all?

Call this afternoon.

Facial flushing is caused by dilation of blood vessels in the face not related to high blood pressure. The fact that you are 35 weeks makes me think that you are probably exerting more energy just to move around, due to your watermelon sized belly, which can cause you to flush.

High blood pressure usually doesn't cause symptoms. But very high blood pressure sometimes causes headaches and shortness of breath or changes in vision. It is usually called preeclampsia during pregnancy.

Mild preeclampsia usually doesn't cause symptoms, either. But preeclampsia can cause rapid weight gain and sudden swelling of the hands and face. Severe preeclampsia causes symptoms of organ trouble, such as a very bad headache and trouble seeing and breathing. It also can cause belly pain and decreased urination.

If you are having any symptoms, I would be seen today. In the last few weeks of pregnancy blood pressure tends to spike a bit, but it doesn't usually cause problems. I am almost 37 weeks right now, and my BP spiked to 130/80 at my last appt., but even this is considered in the normal range, especially considering the fact that I am due to deliver any day. Good luck.

trust your instincts!!! you will never regret being careful...
A.

I would call your dr and see what they say. Personally, I would move my appointment to today. I had my daughter 11 days early due to preeclampsia and didn't know it until the dr said I had it. I was swollen and didn't notice and that was about it. call your dr.

1 / 3