14 answers

Flushed Cheeks/sinus Problems/cough/mild Fatigue in a 5 Yr Old

Hello Moms,
My daughter is 5 and went to the pool with grandma two days ago and came home with flushed (chapped looking) cheeks. She has asthma that is aggravated by her allergies and has been stuffy for about a week. After the pool she woke up with the red cheeks and her sinuses were really bad, runny nose, coughing from nasal drip and she was just not feeling right. She stayed on the couch and asked to watch movies most of the day. She had glassy eyes, but aside from her cheeks didn't feel feverish-in fact she seemed to be clammy but her face was warm. Since she wasn't feeling well, I gave her two doses of ibuprofen to be safe (We've recently moved into a new house and I cannot find the thermometer so I can't confirm or deny a fever).

Now, the pool may or may not be a factor-she's never had reactions like this before-also, my nephew had a really weird illness where he had every symptom of strep, but never tested positive for it, he was finally given an antibiotic and improved within 2 days. My other nephew is fighting a cold and both were over on Father's Day.

She has no rash anywhere else, and I was wondering if it was fifths disease? Has anyone had these symptoms before-I also know that with asthmatics, especially fair skinned ones, exema and psoriasis are common, so I hope it isn't that. In any event, if your child has had similar symptoms any advice would be appreciated, i don't want to rush her to the doctors for them to tell me she's fine, go home.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Well, first of all thank you all for your responses, at least I know is is not fifths disease. The rash cleared up today but her breathing and sinuses are much worse. I am leaning toward thinking the rash was unrelated to the sinuses and a reaction to a new sunscreen my mom used on her face, combined with extreme heat and chlorine exposure. And the sinuses since they are worse today are making her asthma miserable, we're doing round the clock breathing treatments-I am pretty sure she has a sinus infection-especially since I just came down with it last night and am really feeling like junk. So we play the waiting game-if she gets worse tonite we get to spend the night in the ER, if it gets better we should be in the clear by Monday. Crossing my fingers.

Featured Answers

I have a completely different suggestion that others....could she have swallowed some water? It might be in her lungs and causing a mild infection. Hopefully it has cleared by the time I have posted this. If not, I would take her to the physician.

More Answers

It could be 5ths, but I immediately thought of a sinus infection. My daughter got her first one at age 5. Just a thought. An antibiotic cleared it up for her. Good luck.

I really like Dr. Sear's Rash page http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082900.asp

I don't run to docs for rashes - most childhood rashes are viral and by the time you see them they are healing and non-contagious and there isn't much they can do. If she is itching you could use benedryl or zyrtec. I'd probably guage her temperment. Is she is acting mostly normal, I'd monitor the fever, and do typical comfort care. Nutrition, rest, lots of fluids and give it a day or two. If her sinuses are not improoving you could consider a sinus infection.

sounds like a reaction to the chlorine. I get that as does my 10 yr old daughter. You might want to give her some benedryl or claritin for a bit.

oh and 5th disease the fever goes really high (like over 104) and the rash really does look like they had lace on their face when they got a sunburn. So, doesn't sound like that to me.

Could it be heat rash? Maybe she was in the sun too long??

If they went to the pool during the high humidity days that reached 97 degrees, the asthma would have kicked in and left her weak and tired for a day or two. She also may have had a reaction to the foilage on the pool grounds. In either case be sure that she remains hydrated during the outdoor activities and you could give the over the counter med just before the exposure to our eliments again. Let her enjoy summer while she can. We don't have many months of this beautiful weather.

My daughter gets this way with a mild-moderate allergic reaction. We will give her an antihistamine (Zyrtec) when she is like that. We also now have her on a daily dose of Claritin Reditabs to help avoid the reactions.

One other thing that makes me wonder though besides the runny nose- could the red cheeks and feverish look be from being in the pool and not showering afterwards and also possibly be dehydrated with as hot as it was those days?

I hope that she is better now! Many blessings to you and yours!

It could be allergies. My SIL and her kids are allergic to chlorine. They were coughing, etc. from it. Also, the pink cheeks could be from overheating-sun exposure-allergies or simply dry and irritated from being in the pool. Good luck

I have a completely different suggestion that others....could she have swallowed some water? It might be in her lungs and causing a mild infection. Hopefully it has cleared by the time I have posted this. If not, I would take her to the physician.

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.