Fluoride and a 3 Year Old

I took my daughter to the dentist for her regular check up and the told me that I should not be using any toothpaste when I am brushing her teeth because it can actually weaken them. I think that our town has fluoride but I'm not sure because we live right on the border between a place that does and a place that doesn't. What's the deal?
Thanks

i have never heard of such a thing. My dentist tells me to help my child brush and i own a daycare where the children brush their teeth and have a dentist come to talk about care of teeth. I would ? it more

Hi R.,

You'll have to decide for yourself whether you agree with Anne-Marie about flouride being a toxin. I don't believe that about flouride, and I'm very grateful that my children have good teeth compared to mine, thanks to flouride supplements. My generation grew up without flouride in the water and even with good brushing habits, we have mouthfuls of fillings. Dentists have had to branch out into doing more cosmetic dentistry because the use of fluoride has changed their business so much - with flouride in the water or supplements given to kids while their teeth are developing, they don't see cavities nearly as much. Sealants have helped a lot too, so don't forget to ask about those.

If you are able to teach your child to spit, then she probably isn't swallowing the toothpaste. That may be what your doctor is worried about. (Swallowing toothpaste isn't good for you - that's different than getting flouride in water or by supplement.) Enquire from both the doc and the city about your water supply. If you use bottled water in your home, that is an issue too, because there is no fluoride in that kind of water.

Do you have public water? If you do, call the phone number on your bill and ask if there is fluoride in your water. We have public water and recieve the results of water testing done on your water once a year, they send it to all their 'customers.' I would check with the American Dental Association for how much fluorides is appropriate for 3 year olds. Fluoride is funny, the right amount strengthens teeth, too much makes them weak and brittle; this is true of fluoride comsumption at any age.

Hi R.,
Have you ever noticed on toothpaste tubes that there is a warning about it being toxic? Do not swallow. Call poison control, etc. Anne-Marie is right. Flouride is a toxic. It is a run-off from factory waste. We do not use flouride in our house. Thankfully, we are on well-water so we don't have it in our water either. Studies show that there is not any measurable difference in people who use flouride and those who don't. There is no science behind flouride. But, there is money behind it. Do a google search and see what you find. I know, it goes against everything we have been taught very carefully by the system. But, research before you give this to your daughter. In Europe they do not flouridate their water because they believe that people should have a choice about what they ingest. Brilliant idea. Too bad we Americans can't figure out these basic things.

Call the city and find out if your house actually has fluoridated water coming to it or not, they should be able to tell you. If not then you can get fluoride tablets to supplement her fluoride intake. Ask your dentist about that because if the water you use is not fluoridated then she and the rest of the family will be running into teeth trouble if you are not getting some kind of supplement. When she is old enough, you can buy a product called ACT fluoride rinse, it comes in a few kids flavors like bubblegum and watermelon, check at the pharmacy. I lived in a place that did not have fluoridated water and thats what we used, it helped alot, use it everyday.

Fluoride is a toxin and should not be ingested. Smart cities around the country are fighting to get it out of the water system.
Fluoride is not essential. My mom refused to give us flouride in any form, making dentists MAD but at 30 years old I have had ONE cavitiy and my sister has had 3. My brother and sister (older) who grew up on fluoride and still use fluoride toothpaste, have mouths full of cavities.

Your dentist is right, you don't actually need toothpaste, it's the brushing action that cleans. We brush and floss our kids teeth daily and use non fluoridated toothpaste. Too much fluoride can cause fluorosis (sp?) which is unsightly PERMANENT white streaks on the teeth.

If you aren't clear about what your dentist was saying, you should call back and ask for an explanation. Excess fluoride can cause fluorinosis (I have it, no big deal) but if you are only giving her a pea-sized amount and she spits most of it, it shouldn't be a problem.

As to the toxicity of fluoride, it is important to remember that ALL substances (even water) are toxic. Toxicologists say "the dose makes the poison." Some substances very small amounts are toxic; some substances very large amounts are toxic. Fluoride, in the levels of water treatment plants, have been shown time and time again to be not only safe but beneficial. There will always be people who don't believe this (like there will always be people who believe that thimerosal causes autism) but there is no credible evidence to support that position.

So I'd call your dentist back and get some clarity.

If its the flouride that is concerning you, use toothpaste without flouride. It's 'safer' for you daughter to swallow. In our house, we all use toothpaste without flouride and its the same price as the 'regular' stuff.

Yes, very important to find out if your water has flouride. Do you have a well or town water? Most town do put flouride in the water. I just started giving my son multivitamins with flouride prescribed by the doctor. I am not sure why you wouldn't use toothpaste unless there is a concern about too much flouride.

1 / 3