FluMist Or Flu Shot for My 3 Year Old?

What is the difference and what is preferred? Side effects? Effectiveness? Pros/Cons. Trying to decide which to do with my daughter. Thank you.

With a child this age you need to go to a real clinic (like your pediatrician's clinic) for the shot because they give them in half-doses. Chances are you won't have a choice about what you end up with.

We did the flu mist for the first time last year. 3 of my kids have to use nose spray for allergies, so it wasn't any different.

The flu shot itself hurts more than a regular shot according to my kids, so the flumist was a welcome change. They told me it did have a bad taste.

I'm not a believer that it is even effective, but if you are going to do it, go mist, shots hurt.

Hi A. T

Last year i looked into this for my two year old. From what i found out last year is that the FluMist is a weakened live virus so they could get sick. the flu shot is a dead virus. Now i dont know if they have changed that since last year but if your thinking of doing the mist i would ask about it. I went ahead and got my daughter the shot in two doses since it was her first time. i had a friend who got her son the flumist and he ended up getting sick and hated having the mist shot up his nose. http://www.flumist.com/Flumist-Flu-Shot.aspx this website has some facts. Shots hurt but nothing a sucker cant fix. the Dr. offices really seemed to push that mist last year.

Its a waste or time and money. Also why put extra drugs into your child that they don't have to have. Even if your child gets either one of these there are more than 1 flu and doesn't protect your child from them all. Do not do it

1 / 3