Flu shot...Good or Bad??

My nieces got the flu shot last year "to prevent them from getn the flu" but not only did they both get it but were sick a couple of times...my 6 month old got her shots yesterday and Dr convinced me she needed the flu shot..well I woke up at 3am and she was burrrning up! I am hoping it is from the shots although she has never had a fever after her shots before..Dr wants me to go bk in a month for her 2nd flu shot and I am hesitant..any advice?

Get the second flu shot. At times children can get fever from shots. Mine do. Tylenol will help. Also, even though a person gets a flut shot they may still get another strain of the flu. However, the shot they got may protect them from a worse flu or lessen what it could have been. Definately follow through with the second shot. People still die from the flu.

I have never nor will I get one for myself or my dd. Wash hands wipe down things with the sani wipes dont be around sick people, the usual. gl

No one in my immediate family has ever had a flu shot. I think unless there are immunity problems or someone very old it's not necessary. Just one more income stream for big pharma.

Definitely get them. I had a horrible strain of the flu about 20 years ago (in my peak healthy years in my 20s). It was so bad I could barely breathe and had to move back in with my parents (I was single at the time) for two weeks because I could barely move. Flu is not a joke. I would never want my kids to be at risk of going through what I did. I've been vigilant about getting flu shots every since and both my kids get the flu mist.

Flu shots won't protect against every strain of the flu, but you greatly increase the odds that your child will be safe and protected from the most common flu going around.

Do you realize that influenza still kills people all around there world including here in the US? Flu shots are GOOD.

Sometimes the shot will give people, including kids, a fever. A little Tylenol or Ibuprofin should do the trick.

Sometimes the shot doesn't prevent the flu all togehter but will lessen the degree to which you get the flu.

My kids and I are all healthy. I figure our bodies will work the way they are suppose to in the event we get the flu so I do not vaccinate for it. My kids have all the other vaccines recommended by the docs however. I also would probably get the flu vaccine if my child had an asthma, a week immune system or some other health issue that could make the flu quite dangerous.

I never bother with flu shots. A healthy person's immune system will handle the flu just fine. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but the evolution of the flu shot population over time is a pretty stark and laughable example of the successful marketing by the pharmaceutical companies. It used to be just the elderly, immuno-compromised and infants getting the shot. Then everyone under age 2. Then more groups, and more, and more until now it's everyone. Has the illness changed? Has the vaccine actually become effective? No - they've just managed to make more of it, having more to sell. No thanks.

I don't know what to recommend to you but hope that you have some peace of mind whatever you decide.

Getting vaccinations can only account for a fever of up to 100.5*F. The flu vaccine does not cause the flu unless the person is receiving a live vaccine. You can get slight flu-like symptoms, but they won't be full blown. You can still get the flu down the road, as the vaccines never ever promise that you'll never get the illness that you're vaccinating against, but if you get that illness it's a much milder version of it than if you didn't have the vaccine at all.

If your daughter is having some symptoms, including a low grade fever, that could last up to three or so days and it's normal. It's not harmful. I would not skip out on her follow up shot because she won't be fully protected until she has that 2nd shot. However if you're feeling too much anxiety about this, then you need to listen to your instincts and you also need to have a very direct, blunt discussion with your daughter's doctor.

My kids always get the flu vaccinations. So do my husband and I. When I haven't had the vaccination I've gotten so sick I was nearly hospitalized from the flu. I'm immuno-compromised and can't afford to get that sick if I can prevent it. My middle daughter has Autism and seizure disorder, and she's in a very low weight percentile as it is. She's also immuno-compromised and having her get that sick wouldn't be good for her at all. It's very important in our household that everyone gets the flu vaccinations every year.

1 / 3