Flu Shot Vs. Flu Mist for 3 Year Old

I'm taking my 3 1/2 year old son later this week for his flu shot (and Mommy and Daddy are going to get ours too). When I made the appointment they asked if I want to do the mist or the shot. I've read about them and I'm leaning toward the shot because although I'd love to save him from the needle, he HATES having anything sprayed in his nose so I'm not sure it would really be better. Any time he has a cold and I come toward him with saline its world war 3.

Also, we have a 2 month old at home so the fact that the mist is live virus makes me slightly nervous considering how big brother loves to nuzzle his face up to baby brother's. Yes I know the virus is weakened and the stats say that its extremely rare for someone who has had the mist to pass it to someone who hasn't, but still.

So just wondered what other mommies think.

(Also I just have to say, please only respond with answers to my actual question - shot vs. mist. If you're someone who doesn't agree with vaccinating your children, I am 100% behind you. I know all about the issues around that as I work in the field of child development and Autism. I am torn about it too, I space out my boys' vaccines to try to minimize the load each time, but my son had the flu last year, I got it while pregnant, and it was a nightmare. He is developing perfectly, we are out of the Autism woods with him for sure, so I'm doing one or the other.)

Thanks Moms!

The flu mist is a live vaccine and the person getting can get sick and they can also spread it especially if they get sick we have a high risk child so we have been told that we all need to get the shot because of that small risk with the mist I would not risk it with an infant at home.

We've done the mist for my 2 boys (6 and almost 4) and it's been great. For us, much better than a shot. However, if you already know he hates a nose spray, then that makes it a tougher call. My oldest certainly doesn't enjoy a nose spray, but when he knows the alternative is a needle, he doesn't complain.

My daughter gets weekly injections for several health issues. Because of these injections, she cannot get live vaccines, so we always get the shot. I read on a support group for one of her illnesses that a doctor told one of the moms that she needed to keep her immune-compromised child away from other children who have gotten the flu mist. All the other parents on the discussion group got worked up because... how can we know who in a classroom has gotten the mist?? I don't know how accurate it is, but since it came from a doctor, it made me a bit nervous. Anyway, I wanted to share that with you because of your concern for your baby.

My daughter has had very bad pain in her arm since the flu shot this year. She's never had this kind of pain (lasting more than a week now). I don't know if the nurse got a nerve, muscle or something, but the doctor said the pain should be gone by now. We plan to go in by Friday if the pain continues. She has had no other issues since getting the shot.

I haven't researched it, but a nurse at the hospital told me that the mist was a live virus and you actually get the flu from it. That didn't sound good to me, so I'd go the shot way, especially if your son doesn't like sprays anyway.

I have always gotten the shot but my son has gotten the flu mist for the last three years (he's almost six). He hates needles and shots so the mist is much better for him. He has never gotten sick from the mist.

My daughter is 4.5 and got the flu mist this year and we got it for her last year also. They will have you sit him in your lap and you'll most likely have to hold his hands and maybe his head if he won't hold still. Its over so fast so not a big deal. I also have a 2 month old at home but we haven't had any issues.

we did the mist one year....my son had a bloody nose for a few hours after but he was five so i honestly cant say he wasnt picking it or something after they misted lol.....it was awesome without the needle .....in years prior ican still picture the nurse chasing him around the table....

We've done the flu shot w/out the thimserol and the flu mist (twice). Each time our daughter has had the flu mist, she gets the flu (a watered down version, but still the flu). That's what happened to us this year. So from now on, we're skipping the mist and will request the flu shot for infants and toddlers (w/out the thimserol). Our daughter HATES shots, but I keep telling her it's over in one second and you don't get sick afterward.

1 / 3