Flu Shot? - Elyria,OH

My 9 month old and three year old received flut shots and are due to go back in on Monday for another series(I guess because of there age they need two shots) my question is since they have gotten the shots my three year has already been sick twice with vomiting and diarrhea and my nine month old had diarrhea for almost a week, is it worth it to get the second shot? I know that you sometimes get mild flu symptoms from the shots but beleive me there was nothing mild about these symptoms. So shot or no shot?

the flu shot does not cover all flues. Shot are suppose to have dead viruses of what ever they are getting a shot for. Sometimes there are a live viruse in them so the kids will actually get the shot. I do not get the flu shot for my kids. There are many good books they give great info on weather to vaccinate or not. Sorry for spelling mistakes.

jo

N.,

I would not go back. Seems to me they got the flu already with the shots. I didn't know they were giving shots to children that young now. A friend of mine just got her flu shot, and she got sick for 3 days this time, which had never happened in the past.

N.,

jo

I would have to say that those symptoms were not from the shot themselves as the flu is respiratory not stomach related. There are many stomache viruses going around right now, that just taking them to the doctors they could have been exposed.
They do two shots for people recieving the flu shot their first time around. It's to help increase the amount of anitbodies in their system.
On the other hand, I only did one shot for my son his first year recieving the flu shot because there was a shortage. He didn't get the flu and the doctor was not at all concerned with the fact that he only got one. She said they prefer them to get two but it's not absolutely necessary.
On that note, I would say it's your call, but I don't see the need in risking those symptoms being related to the flu and going through all of that again. Call and talk to your doctor about your concerns before you go in.

I would say no to the next shot. Why put your poor children thru this again? My 19 mth old has not had the shots and besides an occasional runny nose has been perfectly healthy since birth.

Hi N.,

I am a 42yr. old mother of 2 beautiful children...a son 8 & a daughter 1. I have learned from a friend in the Alternative Medicine field...she is a Certified Clinical Nutritionist...that giving your children these vaccines is causing more problems now than doing good. She is helping over 200 Autistic children in her practice. I do not have either of my children vaccinated or give them any antibiotics or flu shots(it is NOT a LAW in Ohio) and they are the healthiest kids. The key is to keep their immune systems up and running. I suggest a Good Vitamin supplement and healthy foods. Keep sugars to a low minimum...sugar surpresses the immune system...and staying away from food colorings(which I know is in everything), high fructose corn syrup, and juices that are not 100% juice. BIONUTRITONIC from BIOPRO Technology is an Awesome immune system supporter...it actually detoxes the cells so nutrients can get in. I joined the company so I could purchase the products at 30% off the retail price...quite a savings. For more info. go to: www/mybiopro.com/lbarclay
Also, you may want to check out these other sites on vaccines:

www.generationrescue.org
www.PutChildrenFirst.org

I would suggest that you not give your children anymore flu shots. If mine start to get a cold, I use Boericke & Taffel Cough & Bronchial Syrup...you can get it at the Health Food Store...this works wonderful for coughs & congestion.
Hope this info. has helped you make an informed decision.

God Bless You & Your Family

I say not to finish the series. My first daughter got really sick after the first DPT in the series. She was 18 months old. This was a normally very healthy child. The doctor's office tried to tell me it wasn't related and that she must have picked up a bug. I was told they usually don't react to the first shot, but it is more common with the second one in the series. I was thinking, well if she reacted to this one, it could be worse with the second one. So, I didn't do it. Since then, I became more educated about vaccines and have chosen not to vaccinate any more. I like the book "Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parents' Guide" by Aviva Jill Romm. I think every parent should have it even if you do vaccinate.

The thing that I really don't like about the flu shot is that it still contains thermisol. It's a preservative that can lead to high levels of mercury in your child. Also, there are so many strains of flu and the flu shot will not protect against all of them or even most of them. Even if the child gets the flu, the child will have a stronger immune response the next time he/she is exposed than if just vaccinated. Most healthy children and adults are not going to have a major problem from getting the flu.

Also, when you get the flu shot, there can be side effects. There can be flu like symptoms. A vaccine weakens the immune system temporarily so any exposure can more likely lead to illness.

I know a lot of people think that you can get the flu from the vaccine but you can't. Ask your doctor about that but I recommend you get the flu shot even though it does not cover every single strain of flu there is. Your child was probably exposed to someone that had the flu prior to their getting the shot so it seems coincidental that it was the vaccine that caused it.
Some doctors say that children can't get diarrhea, vomiting,etc from teething but others agree that the pain can cause these side effects. I'm not sure what made your child sick but I've been the flu with three of my kids three times this year. I'd rather get the vaccine!

N.,

Your doctor should have given you a paper with possible symptoms to look for after the shot including slight fever and aches and pains. Vomiting is not one of the side effects from the flu shot. They probably picked up something else while you were at the doctors office.

If this is the first time your children have received the flu shot, they must have a second dose 30 days after the first shot. As someone else mentioned, children die from the flu. Please get you and your children vaccinated.

If you do decide to take your children back for the second shot, limit them on what they touch in the doctors office. Keep them in a stroller if possible. This is a bad time of year to report the the doctor for routine things.

1 / 3