Flu Shot - Yorkville,IL

Hello, here it is Flu season again. My husband and I are once again having the debate of whether or not to get our girls 5 and 3 the flu shots. Last year they got the flu once and did not get the shot(I did not get the flu or the shot - my husband got Flu and also got the shot). So I am on the fence about it. I guess I feel if they are going to get the Flu anyway why give them another shot. Which I am told there is a shot for the Flu and now one for the H1N1 virus. THANK you for your input.

vactruth.com will give you ingredients and the side effects.

Vitamin D and influenza:
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/2007-feb.shtml

Educate before you vaccinate.

No- don't get it... here's why... Autism. See the link below.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/0...

My kids and I did receive the shot and none of us had the flu, although we had a whole host of other things all winter long. I am not doing the N1H1 though, i'm too nervous about it being too new.

Vitamin D and influenza:

Educate before you vaccinate.

Do NOT do it!!! Just because you get the shot there are thousands of flus and you can still get the flu. Also you do not know what kind of vaccines are in that shot.

Here is what a friend sent me today...Angelo's mother got her flu shot on Monday. On Thursday night she was the sickest she's ever been. Now she's in the hospital. Yeah flu shot!"

Its not worth it!!

My family is vaccinated each year, because the flu freaks me out!!!! I worked as n elementary school teacher before becoming a SAHM, and we lost two students in our building to the flu over two consecutive years. They were healthy childen who were not vaccinated and fell ill with the flu and it killed them. I swore that I would protect my own children with seasonal flu shots, because I never want to go through what the families at my school did.

We have never gotten the flu with the exception of this past spring. My six year old contracted the H1N1 flu at school and everyone but my husband got sick. It was a horrible illness; we were sick for a solid two weeks. My six year old has asthma and I had to nebulize her meds and increase her normal doses. My six month old contracted it as well and she too needed albuterol nebulized every four hours around the clock to relieve her respiratory symptoms.

It's terribly scary when an illness effects your childs respiratory system so badly. You pray the meds work and that it passes. I just would not be able to live with myself if one of my kids died of an illness I could have vaccinated them for.

the only year i had the flu was the one i had the shot...why dont you read some research on it and read the package inserts that show what is in them and exactly how testing was done, they look intimidating at first but believe me they arent difficult to read at all. Read it all as the info is spread out into different sections to make them look more harmless. Also dont be fooled by the preservative free = mercury free because that is not true ....go to fda.gov for more info on the mercury/preservative free info and to read each package insert. then you can make a proper informed decision

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/current.aspx

http://www.homefirst.com/

Here are two links to information about the flu shot and the other H1N1 shot. I can't tell you what to decide but I am sending this information to you so it may help you.

Be blessed!

Personally, everytime I've gotten the Flu shot, I get the Flu and stay sick for weeks, last time I got it, I was pregnant and it caused problems during my pregnancy, so I won't get the Flu nor the new H1N1 Flu shot. Good Luck!!

D. -

I know that it is a very confusing situation - as you have experienced getting the shot, then getting the flu - and thinking it wasn't worth it, etc....however having been in the medical profession and dealing with these questions - this is what I can tell you:

1) "The flu shot makes you sick" - No - the flu vaccine is actually a form of the virus that has been killed. So it's not actually the living germ - which is what can make you ill. The virus in the shot - activates your system against whatever the 2-3 strains of influenza that it contains. Your immune system then responds by building antibodies against those particular strains and "remembers" them so if your body is exposed again - it's ready to fight the virus off.

2) "The shot doesn't work" or "I've gotten the flu during the winter - after taking the shot": Remember - the vaccine contains 2-3 strains that the experts have identified as those that will be the most prevalent during the flu season. They cannot possibly inlcude ALL of the strains - so they try to make an "educated" guess - and many times they are right - but sometimes - they aren't.

3) For those that receive the injection - and then are exposed to the virus - their body does it's best to fight off the bug without becoming ill. However depending upon the "state" of your body - are you currently healthy; do you have underlying medical conditiona that weaken your body; are you under a lot of stress; not sleeping well; have a poor diet; drink alcohol excessively or use drugs - then your body is already compromised and may not be able to fight the disease off completely - so you become ill. However - the vaccine will generally help to limit the duration and severity of the illness - and hopefully you won't be sick as long as you would without having received the shot.

4) Especially for children - schools are breeding grounds of germs and illnesses. Children are not the best at remembering to cover their mouths when coughing or sneezing; or washing their hands after coughing; sneezing or blowing their noses; they share food and drinks; and are in very close, closed contact with poor ventilation for hours every day. Unfortunately - there are many parents out there that still send their children to school if they are displaying any signs of illness - or that give their children tylenol or motrin to lower a fever -send the child to school - and buy themselves a few hours at work before having to pick up their sick child. This is bad enough that they are now exposing everyone else to their germs - but on the flip side - they are now being exposed to even more germs - and since their resistance is down - are good candidates for coming down with the flu. The shot is just one more layer of protection that we can offer our children and ourselves - as many of us also know people that we work with who will come in if they are ill.

I can say from experience - that over the years - as we have seen more and more people - adults and children - receiving their flu shots - we have seen fewer and fewer cases of the actual flu coming into the office to be seen. I would urge you to consider the flu shots if anyone in your family has any type of chronic illness - or if they spend any extended time around family or friends that do have chronic illnesses. I started getting the shots for my children after my oldest was diagnosed with a seizure disorder at 3yrs old. I've also noticed over time - that they haven't gotten as many colds or upper respiratory illnesses - but that could also be their age and maturity.

Yes - its a hard decision to make - but it's also a virus that can have serious implications for some people. Good luck with your decision.

P.

Hi, such a debatable topic - (I am glad to see no one was mean and forceful with their beliefs)! Heck, we are just trying to do what is best for our families, especially our children.... That said, I personally have never had the flu shot (I do not believe in it), and my hubby doesn't either, so we don't give our children it either. Our Pediatrician always asks us every year, and I really love and respect her - she always errs on the side of caution, etc., and really wants my kids to get it. I smile and say "thank you" but we decide against it... Now, my best friend completely agrees with it, and she, her hubby and 2 kids all get the flu shot. Now the last couple years, her whole family got the flu. Now she seems to think it would have been worse if they wouldn't have gotten the shot. I kind of think, heck, if you are going to get it anyway, why subject yourself to another shot... It only protects you from 1 strain (out of lots more that our out there)...from what I understand... Anyway, do what YOU think is best, and that will be BEST for you and your family. Since we are not mindreaders, who knows what the year ahead of us will bring! :)
(Alittle prayer I think does wonders though).

Take care,

1 / 3