Flu like Symptoms Before Period

Hi ladies, so, for the last 5 months or so I am finding that for 2 or 3 days before my period I get these terrible flu like symptoms; sore throat, aches all over, headache...it's hard because I can hardly take care of my kids (2 and 4)...I'm starting to think it has to do with hormones, but haven't been able to find any information on such a thing...has anyone else had this happen?

I would get sick the day before or of starting. I'd actually get a fever, feel terrible - yes like getting the flu. This went on off and on for some years, in bouts. The ob/gyn said, "That's not possible. That doesn't happen." Sigh.

That was many years ago, and now I have a grown daughter that had something similar happen to her. At least she knows - YES, these things CAN and DO happen to some people.

It turns out she did have some hormonal issues, but I do not know if her problem is related or not. I can't go into much in this public venue. And unfortunately, I cannot give much advice. When it happens, it is important for us to get the rest our body is insisting on. How with young children? Sigh again... Not easily, but treat yourself as if you really are sick.

Next, try to keep yourself as healthy as possible. There are things that may help, under the care of an M.D. who specializes in Integrative medicine - things like Maca Root maybe if appropriate. Also, check yourself for nutritional deficiencies and insufficiencies, Celiac or gluten sensitivities or other food sensitivities, or other allergens. Maybe it was the combination of things or overload of different stressors on our bodies. I did not know for years that I have food sensitivities/allergies. Well... I knew some, but not all, and then I got asthma, then hives, and still did not figure it out for some years.

That's what I mean about getting as healthy as possible, so we have a better chance.

Yes. U r not alone. My immune system is always lowest before my period. So make sure during the week before...you get enough rest, eat well etc.

Best of Luck. Jilly

I get a really bad headache, body aches and sometimes I throw up 2 to 3 days before my period. So you are not alone! The only good thing about it, is that I know my period is coming (I have irregular periods).

Hi L.
Yes I get bad physical symptoms before my period, tiredness ,sore breasts,aches and pains.
Its annoying as we are trying for another baby and each month I think have pregnancy symptoms.

Yes. If you find out what it is, let me know.

I have the same problem starting just before my period and going a day or two into it and then add the cramps and I just want to curl up and stay in bed!

1 / 3