Flower Girl Ideas for 1.6 Year Old

I think I saw a previous request where someone asked a similar question, but I couldn't find it again. Any great ideas to make being a flower girl easier for a 1.6 year old? They are concerned that she won't be interested at all and won't go all the way down the aisle. This request is for a friend.

BTW, because of my own silly humor I did the ".6"... it IS an accurate age for her however, just thought I'd make it funny.

I've seen several cute things done for small kids.
1. Have her Dad, dressed in tux or whathave you, escort her down the aisle.

2. Have the the ringbearer, or a junior groomsman, push her down the aisle in an umbrella stroller. With the stroller all decorated up, etc.

3. Get one of those push cars with the tall push handle in the back. Decorate it all up, and have her ride in it. They sell them at Walmart, Toys R Us. etc.

I see that you live nearby. I love helping with weddings and parties, so if you need any help, let me know.

The wedding is about the bride and groom and not this tiny infant....I say infant because that is what she is at 1.6yrs and trying to coax or modify her progress down a long church aisle will turn into a show focused on her and not the bride and the ceremony itself (and likely without the intended or desired outcome). If there is a pressing need to have this tiny girl represent a flower girl, she should be dressed in her fancy dress and CARRIED down the aisle by her mother or another person well-known to her, perhaps "helping" to strew rose petals from a basket or whatever is intended for her function. Her role should be symbolically managed and performed by only an adult!

Dear M. B-

I have a child with special needs...one of her former nurses (now a best friend) wanted shannon to be her flower girl. Shannon was a 'new' walker...and needed some 'guidance'. What WE did was take fabric remnants from the dresses...decorated a 'fisher price' shopping cart (loaded with weights...and flowers) and 'aimed' her down the aisle. After the wedding...I think many wished they had had a 'flower' cart' at theirs!!

Michele/cat

1.6 year olds are like cats. you can't train them (or they'd all be potty-trained and have regular bedtimes) and new situations are likely to get their fur all riled.
why the concern? if they want a textbook perfect wedding, they shouldn't have a 1.6 year old flower girl. if they want to include a child they adore, they should let her rip and know for a fact that textbook perfect weddings are dull to look back on, but 1.6 year old flower girls running wild make for GREAT stories and pictures afterwards.
i wouldn't put any pressure on her at all. try to get her to do her thing and laugh heartily if she improvises.
:) khairete

We had our ring bearer pull our flower girl down the aisle in a wagon decorated with flowers. Our flower girl was a little older, so she had no problem sitting and waving to the guests. Not sure if your little girl would sit or not, but it was precious!

All I can say is make sure you AND your friend have a great sense of humor and that SOMEBODY has a video camera to put it on America's Funniest Videos. I can see that you do, but make sure it's ok with the wedding couple whichever way this goes. There's just no telling with your 1.6 yr. old. She could be a champ and walk down the aisle and toss petals like an Oscar-winning actress or she could see all of the people and run the opposite way. Who knows? Have fun and enjoy every moment that life gives to you.

I stashed a very small toy dinosaur in my two-and-a-half-year-old's flower basket, telling her it was a very important delivery for her daddy. I made sure ahead of time that she saw daddy with the dinosaur so she knew it was his, and made sure to tell her it was her job to bring it to him during the wedding. Daddy was in the front during the ceremony. I think the specific task of bringing him the dinosaur helped focus her. Not sure if it would work for a younger one, but it might!

My daughter was a flower girl when she was just 2. We made sure that Daddy was seated near the front of the church, while I stayed with her at the back, so I could just direct her to walk/run straight to him. Worked like a charm.

1 / 3