Flower Girl Advice for Toddler

This isnt really a discipline/Behavior Issues but I wasnt sure what topic this request falls under. My 15 month old daughter was chosen to be the "flower girl" in my brother's wedding at the end of June. She has been walking for a few months and gets around great but I was wondering if anyone has any tips to get her down the isle. She does follow simple directions most of the time but I'm not sure how she will react with 100 people staring at her. I will have my husband standing at the end of the isle to encourage her to walk. Any other tips or suggestions to help her perform her duties without a hitch? I know anything that will happens will be adorable, even if she sits down in the middle of the isle and starts eating the flower pedals but I'd really love if she walked nicely and tossed some pedals gracefuly.

I was at a wedding, where they took a wagon, decorated it with flowers, and the ring bearer who was older pulled her down. She had a great time throwing flowers.
Grandma N.

A cousin's daughter was flower girl at not quite 2 years. Her mom walked down the isle right behind her. No one noticed her mom because they were so involved in watching her. Good luck!

Grandma N.

You can have her walk down the aisle with someone else (my DSD walked down with my DSS...so cute). The younger they are, the more overwhelming it will be for them - and she probably won't remember to throw petals out, let alone for it to look graceful. I would give her a tiny bouquet or a little white basket with petals...but not expect too much. You can have her walk down with one of the bridesmaids, or just try to explain that she should follow one of them...and then have her sit down in the front row with your mom or something. Kids will be kids, but it will be adorable seeing her in the dress! And a dress rehearsal will help - it will give you an idea of how she will be on the day, so you can have a chance to do a run through and change things if necessary. :)

Tara gave you great advice - have everyone she is drawn to at the altar from the beginning! When I got married my 2 year old niece was our flower girl. She got really upset when my sister-in-law (a bridesmaid) was about to leave her to walk the aisle ahead of her. My sister-in-law ended up carrying her. That was fine too :) Good luck!

Dear M.-
I have a child with special needs...one of her former nurses (now a best friend) wanted shannon to be her flower girl. Shannon was a 'new' walker...and needed some 'guidance'. What WE did was take fabric remnants from the dresses...decorated a 'fisher price' shopping cart (loaded with weights...and flowers) and 'aimed' her down the aisle. After the wedding...I think many wished they had had a 'flower' cart' at theirs!!

Michele/cat

We had a 23 month-old in my daughter's wedding. Her father sent her down the isle, and her mother was sitting near the front (just behind the family) with M&M's. She just about ran down the isle, but was so short only the people sitting near the isle could see her. We didn't even try to have her stand through the ceremony. She just sat with her mother. Those who missed her saw her at the reception. She was precious.

When I got married, my son was 2. He and a close friend of the family was 2 as well. They were my junior bride and groom. I had the same anxiety about the wedding. I thought they would do one of two things 1). Freeze because of the 200 guests and not do anything or 2) run ridiculously down the aisle (neither of the two I wanted to happen). So what I did was purchase a wagon. I decorated it was beautiful lace and vine. I then had my ring bearer pull the two down the aisle. It was so adorable. When they got to the front, I had the ring bearer help my son out, then my son helped the jr bride out. They gave each other a hug and then when to their designated spots. Maybe the flower girl can throw the petals from a wagon. It worked for me.

I've been in your shoes before, and this is what helped us have a good chance at "success":
-make sure she's had her normal nap, or an early one if the time of the wedding is during her nap
-make sure she's had a good snack, so she's not hungry and grumpy
-practice, practice, practice, starting NOW... give her a basket at home with some faux petals or pieces of tissue and walk her through it daily. Use the same wording every day, such as "throw the petals and walk"
-if there is a rehearsal, let her check out the church and walk around and get a feel for the place. Explain that this is where she is going to "throw the petals and walk". Explain and show that you are going to be at the front of the aisle, and daddy is going to be at the back to send her off.
-Praise her for everything! Talk about how special it is going to be, without emphasizing "doing it right", etc.

I don't know about tossing petals gracefully but to get her down the isle I would try holding her favorite stuffed animal or her blanket, or something else she loves so she is inclined to proceed forward. Perhaps even a little reward such as a lolipop or something. Of course you don't want to ruin her dress so I would stay away from berry blue ;o).

1 / 3