Flonase or Nasonex and Breastfeeding....

My seasonal allergies have flared up just recently. I'm unsure if I can use Flonase or Nasonex. My doctor said I could use it while I was pregnant. Now that I'm breastfeeding, I'm not sure if it's okay to use. While I've heard that some medicines can cause your milk to dry up, I've heard that nasal sprays are okay for the most part. I don't want to stop breastfeeding to be able to take medicines. I'd rather suffer with the allergies! I'm just wondering if anyone has used these nasal sprays while breastfeeding.

Thank you everyone! I decided to call the pediatrician and also the Lactation Department at the hospital too. They BOTH recommended Claritin because that would help with the itchy nose, eyes, sneezing, congestion, etc. They did remind me to drink plenty of fluids to keep my milk supply up since these meds can sometimes cause breastmilk to dry up. I plan to try the Claritin this weekend! I need relief!

Hello R.-

I've used nasonex since before I became pregnant and was told there were no side effects. I have also had to use over the counter pills for allergies and acording to my pharmacist these are the ones most likely to dry up your milk supply. When I talked to my lactation consultant about it she told me that it's only a concern before you have an established milk supply or if you are having trouble maintaining your milk supply. I took the pills for a week a few month ago (my son is 9 months) and I had no change in my milk. Good luck.

Flonase and Nasonex are both a category C, which means moderate risk in pregnancy.It is not known if either drug is found in breast milk, so they both should be used with caution. Sounds like your doc is pretty laid back. You might try something homeopathic first. if you search online for NET Remedies, the #8 is for Allergies. They are great for kids too!
If you are not into homeopathy, you could use a high quality supplement like Shaklee's Immunity Formula I and/or their Nutriferon. My husband and I have been very impressed with them and the results. They are clinically proven, safe and guaranteed to help. Here's a link to them: http://www.shaklee.net/build/prodNuFeronHome
Here's the Immunity formula I: http://www.shaklee.net/build/product/20241
Hope this helps!

Hi R., I to went through this while I was breastfeeding and my obgyn said I could use either one. so I used nasonex but if it will make you feel more comfortable maybe look up each product on the internet and see if either one says anything about breast feeding. or another option I would do is go buy it where there is a pharmasist and talk with him or her they are very knowledgeable. and maybe give you some more in sight.I wish you luck I know its miserable.~L.~

I would ask the nurse at the pediatrician's office, or the pediatrician, or, maybe even better, a lactation specialist. I think if I were going to ask, I'd call the hospital I delivered my son at, and ask to speak to the lactation consultant. (even though he's almost 2, I think they'd probably still answer my question...)

You may get more than one opinion, but it always helps to get as much input as possible, I think. I'm still breastfeeding, and it's been wonderful for us. I ask lots of questions at the doctor's office and pharmacy whenever I might need a medicine. I call the pediatrician's office and ask to talk to the nurse fairly often, when I have questions.

I had an ear infection and used Flonase for a short time while I was breastfeeding, I'll admit that I used as little as possible. The doctor that prescribed it told me that there was no problem, but my other doctor told me that there wasn't much known about the effects associated with breastfeeding, so just to be on the safe side I only used it a tiny bit.
As for my milk drying up, I didn't notice any change in my milk production....but again, I only used it a little and for about a week.

Hope that helps.

I know this is a way-old topic, but it popped up in a "so what happened" sidebar, and just wanted to pop in a note, since it's about time for seasonal allergy flare-ups again! See if you can find a naturopathic physician in your area (www.naturopathic.org to find one). We see a lot that allergies, especially severe symptoms, often point to an underlying systemic inflammatory overload, and manging that systemic inflammation with changes in one's eating habits, as well as other supportive herbs and nutrients, can help people kick allergy pharmaceuticals altogether! Also, some people develop allergies as an adult, when they used to not have problems. That scenario is often a sign of a toxicity in the body (we live, sadly, in a very polluted world, after all), because the immune system is one of the 3 main body systems affected by overtoxicity. Working through a detoxification program (though not while breastfeeding or pregnant) can go a long way to relieving or reducing allergies.

Hope that inspires you to go searching for the underlying cause of your allergies!
Yours in health,
D. E., ND

I used Nasonex while I breastfed two of my babies with no adverse reactions to my milk supply or my little darlings. It was okay'd by both my lactation specialist and OBGYN. Don't suffer if you don't have to! :)

I have extreme allergies too! I used afrin no drip 12 hour spray found at walmart, cheaper than a rx. all 3 kids of mine are fine, i would have never left the house if i couldn't have taken it. I used during pregnancy and all thru breastfeeding. S. D.

1 / 3