Flea Problem!!! Very Upset!

OK Ladies, I've got a flea problem and I seriously don't know what to do. We've had an indoor cat for 8 years and NEVER had fleas before. Now, even after we've had a couple of freezes, we have fleas. They are biting my one year old daughter!!! We have treated the cat with Advantage, and because of our panic, used a spray from the hardware store on our two carpeted areas that we have found the fleas. (We used a spray that was recommended to be safe for children - NOT TRUE) The next morning there appeared to be even MORE fleas and after a couple of hours of play around the treated areas, my daughter now has a rash on her legs!!! (she is still crawling) I am EXTREMELY upset now, and don't know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions on how to rid the house of fleas for good. Obviously I am now going to have to have my carpets cleaned for my daughter sake, but I am told that that will not get rid of the fleas either.

Thank you all for your great advice! My daughter's rash was gone by morning, but the fleas still remain. My husband and I have kept them under control by vacuuming twice a day. My husband works crazy hours and has not been home to help much, but will be home Friday to help me bomb the house. I'm looking forward to it!!!!

well, this is what we did for a flea problem we had a couple of years ago.

1) treated the cat with advantage - make sure you keep up with the medication as indicated
2) bombed the house - we had to. the fleas were everywhere. need to stay out of the house for 4 hours.
3) vacuum, vacuum, vacuum! i also like to use baking soda as a pretreatment on my rugs
4) you might want to discuss with your pediatrician what you can do to treat your daughter's bites

it will take between 1-3 months to notice a marked improvement with those pesky fleas

I know that this sounds crazy but try spraying skin so soft and it gets rid of bugs and fleas. Spray it around your house and around the door to see if that prevents them from coming into your house. You can also mix it with water and spray it on your pet. I hope things help.

We had a fairly bad flea problem as well a few months ago. Our new puppy brought them in and gave them to our cat. There are several "home remedies", a lot of the times though, you just have to wait it out, as horrible as that sounds. We were fortunate to not have carpeting, only 2 rugs. If you sprinkle salt all over the carpet and let it sit for 2 hours and then vacuum it helps. The salt kills the fleas. Of course, with a 9X6 rug, it was a little easier, but it did help. Also, if you take a bowl and fill it with water and dish detergent and put it under a small night light with a green light, it attracts the fleas and they drown in the water. Sounds dumb, but it worked also. We put Frontline Advantage on both the animals. We also trimmed the cats hair, but that really didnt help any. I dont know if any of this will help, but I hope you get rid of them soon.

THE NEW THING THAT WORKS IS COMFORTIS
THIS stuff is awesome and the vet told me that it is way better than frontline...so I tried it and I had a terrible flea infestation on my dogs and after 30 minutes there was none on them living.... I havent had as bad of problem in the house...but when you bomb make sure you get the FLEA FOG it stays in the air longer and the bomb mist just drops...the fog actually gets under things and works...

M. Rich
THE MOM TEAM
WORKING FROM HOME AND LOVING IT!!
www.themomteam.com/richme4life

We have 2 dogs, and got fleas for the first time this year too. We have always used front line on the dogs, and never had a problem. I guess they are extra bad, because of the wet summer. We had to strip all the beds and wash the bedding in hot water. I also had Orkin come out. They were the most reasonable, however I had to sign up for a year. They come every other month, and I think it is $80. The first treatment was $90, because they had a $30 coupon. They sprayed the carpet really good, and we had to leave the house for several hours, so that it could dry.

first off call her pediatrician tomorrow morning. see what he recommends. i know there are bug bombs, etc, which my folks used when i was little but who knows if they were actually safe, or would work for fleas. do you have any relatives she could stay a couple nights with, while you fumagate the house?

Fleas have been very bad this year. I have never ever had this problem until this year and it was bad at my house as well. I treated my animals over and over and nothing helped. I called the vet he told me to bath my animals every other day with blue Dawn dish soap it kills them it has to be the blue though. But you also need to buy a conditioner for your pet so their skin don't dry out. It really helps then I have sprayed my floor and furniture with Raid flea spray. You can get it at Walmart with the other bug sprays. My small grandson lives with me and it does not bother him and its also safe for animals but read the instructions so you buy the right one. Good luck.
J. T.

I'm having the exact same problem as you! We also have a one year old. I have read not to steam clean carpets because fleas actually thrive in moist environments. Just vaccuum ALOT! Always empty the vaccuum outside. Wash linens frequently in hot water as well. We tried Frontline on the pets, but that didn't work. I've heard that Advantage is better. Other than that I don't have any new ideas. My vet told us fleas were really bad this year, if that's any consolation to you. Good luck!

1 / 3