Flat Head Syndrom

My Son has what they call a Flat Head Syndrom, it is where the back of the baby's head is flat from laying on their backs to much.. Anyways, we noticed it at his 6 month well baby check up. The doctor told me everything that I could do to help change it, she said to keep him off of his head while he is awake, and also to have him sleep on his tummy or his side. Here is the thing. Brandon does not like to be on his side and when we put him to bed on his side he would wiggle and do what ever it took to get on his back. He does not like being on his tummy and everything that we have done to try to get him to like it has failed. During the day Brandon is up and off of his head expect for naps of course, so we have been doing everything that we could to help this..

I brought him in to see the doctor today to check on the flat spot in the back. She said that it looks like it has not changed much, and she said that his left year looks good and is in the right spot, but his right ear is still a little forward. She said that his forehead is a little flat too, other wise she said that nothing looks like it has changed from his 6 month Well Baby check up. But she wrote me a referal to see a doctor at Children's to have his head checked to see if he will needs a helmet for his head..

I am wondering if anyone else here had this same thing with their baby and what happened? How did your child react to the helmet and what do they do to find out if your child needs one?

Thank you for your responces.

My oldest son had this as well (along with torticollis). He had to take PT at Gillette for awhile, and they were great. We decided NOT to have him get a helmet, and I regret it. He definitely has a flat spot on his head (I'm worried if he ever loses his hair when he's grown up) and his ears are in different positions, which will be difficult if he ever needs glasses. I just wish we would have done it. HTH!

I had twin girls July of 2005, and because they were big for their ages and Abbey was a passive baby - just loved to lay on her back and swat at toys. She ended up having a flat head. We did the Cranio Cap - it was at Gillette hospital (they fit it to the child's head, unlike children's where they make one and try to fit it to the child's head). She didn't mind having the cap on - we called it her helmet. She wore it all of the time and within 2 1/2 months we didn't have to do it anymore, because her head was back to being round - and well my twins are identical and it was easy for people to tell them apart, now they can't. It is amazing just in the first couple of weeks how much the head shape changes. But if you do it you need to do it right away. If you have any other questions - or want to see my adorable Abbey in her "helmet" just email me and I will answer anything you want to know. Hopefully this helped you out.

Thanks,

I unfortunatley don't have any experience with this syndrom but...

The first thing that came to my mind when I read your request was the Bumbo seat. www.bumboseat.com you can look at this online and I know they sell them at babies r us and target. The seat is made of molded soft density foam. They are awesome!! A child can use this seat as soon as they are able to hold their head up on their own. It might be a way for you to keep your son from laying on his head while he is awake.

Hi A.!
I think you will get a ton of responses to your question. I asked the same question back in September and got an amazing amount of emails. My daughter just got out of her helmet this week! She also had a very flat head and tortacalis which is a muscle in the neck that is shorter than the other side. We have been going to PT every other week for it. The helmet thing is no big deal. Our daughter got into hers at 5 1/2 months and like I said just got done with it. Her head looks great and I would recomend it to anyone. We saw Dwight at Childrens west and I love him. So down to earth and easy to talk to. Maia got really used to waring it and had no problems what so ever. If you have any questions or want to see pictures of what it looks like feel free to email me at
____@____.com good luck!

I know you have a lot of feed back already but I just wanted to say my cousin just went through the same thing with her son. He wore the helmet for 23 hours a day, I'm not exactly sure how many months he wore it for. It was hard for her in the beginning and making the desision but it worked out great. He didn't seem to mind the helmet at all and it helped with his flat spot. Good luck!

My aunts son had to have a helmet. I think it was a lot harder for her than him. As far as my own experience my daughter came close to needing one. She seemd to always want lay on the right side of her head. Her pediatrician showed me what the helmet looked like. It did not seem all that bad, though as a mother I did shed a few tears when I got home because I was worried for my baby. My aunts son only had to wear his for a couple of hours a day. I can email her and aske her more wuestions about it.

I have an 7mo son that has that to and the dr is not worried about it but he did say I could get a helmet but don't really need it. My 2yr old had that to and he got hair and looks great now. This is a pic of tiwns from pregnancyweekly. Well the pic didn't want to work for me.

First off I have twins, same thing happened at about the same age. they sat in car seats a lot and loved it. Having 2 well, you do what makes them happy, plus I had a 4 year old who thought we were having them to be mean. LOL. They sent me to childrens, we then went to physical therapy, they helped build head strenth, we did some normal everyday excerses at home and that was that. Once he gets older and grows hair it won;t be as noticible and have you ever felt your own head its not perfectly shaped. Anywho, they are five and no their heads aren't perfect but a helmet don't waste your money or time.

My son also has an "mis-shaped" head from being so cramped in utero, and although we haven't been to the appointment yet, we were referred to Gillette and will be seen on 2/6/07 for it. The boys' pediatrician said that they don't notice the helmet and that it will bother us more than them.

I know another mom who's daughter had to wear a helmet for a few months, and though I don't know how her daughter handled it, I know that the daughter's head looks completely normal now, thanks to the helmet (I saw her once before the helmet, then again after treatment).

I can let you know how my son's apoointment goes, if you haven't had yours by then. I'm sorry I couldn't be much help, but wanted you to know that there are Mom's going through the same thing right now!

Hi A.-

I didn't have this problem, but a friend of mine did with her son. He wore a helmet 23 hours out of every day for about 6 months. Now he's totally fine. It was really hard for my friend in the beginning. Everything worked out well in the end. Her son is now 13 months old and doing wonderfully.

Good luck with everything!

-L.

1 / 3