Fish Oil and Flaxseed for Kids

I have read about the benefits of Fish Oil and Flaxseed for children. Can anyone give me advice and the name of a good multivitiman with Fish Oil and/or Flaxseed for kids.

Thank you all so much for your input and suggestions. I will keep you posted on my choice and the results.

There are several choices for both flax seed and fish oil suppliments. If you can't find anything at Wal-Mart, you can go to SunHarvest, Whole Foods, Central Market (a few HEB have health food sections that have a wider variety of vitamins) or Wheatsville as well as the many, many other stores in Austin that carry vitamins. You can also google and order online. I've found gummy vitamins and chewable tabs. Best of luck to you!

My kids take a fish oil/ omega 3 flax supplement. our pediatrician recommended she take it along with her regular multivitamin. We buy her regular childrens multivitamin at the grocery store, but purchased her omega 3 vitamins at SUN HARVEST where they offer a childrens version in organic "gummy bears" which has been a hit at our house! Important factor when you are trying to talk a 3 year old into taking it! hehe...Good Luck!

We use the HEB central market organics for our flax seed that we give to our kids. It is in liquid form and I just squeeze it into tier mouths. It tastes like grass, but they drink it. We also use fish oil gummies that my kids LOVE. We use nutrilite (available through Quixtar/Amway) but there are other good brands out there. Little critters come to mind right off the top of my head. I would go with a gummy. The kids think they are candy and take them alot easier.

One other poster said you can bake flax meal in muffins and stuff- heat destroys the good things in flax seed to that is not a good option. I you did get flax seed in solid form, get the milled not the whole seeds.

I give my kids BOTH flax and fish oil. It makes a difference with my ADHD family. Better than pharmaceuticals!

Hi Tracy,

i have not found a multi vitamin that has any significant amount of fish oil in it. My son has been on Nordic Naturals Kids omega 3 liquid forever. it has a mild flavor with strawberry added.

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Naturals-Childrens-Dha-liqui...

THe chewables just don't seem tohave significant amounts of oil in them either.

Hope this helps

C

You can buy flax seed in the liquid form, its kinda oily and has a nutty flavor. You can add it to smoothies(which is what we do) or milk, etc. Its so good for you. You can buy flax seed and make muffins, pancakes, cookies, add it to yogurt, cereal. We buy ours at walmart but I am sure its everywhere.

Costco has organic flax that I put in just about everything for us. Pasta sauces, yogurt, cookies, cereal, you name it. You can't even taste that it's there. Don't know about fish oil for kids but I know they have all kinds of that stuff @ Whole Foods. Their people are really knowledgeable too.

Hi T., it is so good to see more moms taking supplementation seriously. I am not aware of any multivitamins for kids containing Fish or Flaxseed Oil.

I too like the other mom give my son his Multi-vitamin plus his Biomega Fish Oil Supplement. He loves it and has never had a problem with after taste due to the lemon added.

And the studies are true, I have seen many helped who have adhd and autism.

Also, many women don't realize the benefit to taking it while pregnant. The DHA is crucial for fetal and infant brain development. You just have to make sure you are taking a safe brand.

Give your child the Flaxseed Oil because in a lot of people the fish oil can have a bad after taste like raw fish burping up. And the Flaxseed Oil does the same thing as Fish Oil and there is no bad taste later.

The Omega 3 fatty acids are good in children because it has a lower incidence of childhood disorders (ADD, Dyslexia, dyspraxia ) and compulive disorders.
It is also good for the heart and skin and better brain function and higher intelligence .
Less pain and inflammation, less depression and psychosis and reduction of breast, colon and prostate cancer.

Hi T., you're right Fish Oil (aka DHA) has many health benefits for young growing brains, especially early brain and vision development. Studies show that some kids are not getting enough of this important brain nutrient, which is prevalent in sardines, tuna, and organ meats such as liver. (Not my kid’s favorites)

Shaklee (the #1 natural nutrition company in the US) recently launched a line of products specifically for babies and kids. The specific product I'm referring to is called "Mighty Smart", each (great tasting) chew packs 100mg of DHA. Most children do not get enough DHA from diet alone. Studies in the U.S. have found that the majority get only 20–40 mg a day... which can impact normal cognitive functions including memory, focus, concentration and attention.

Shaklee products are 100% organic, with no artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives. Many products on the market now have added corn syrup and artificial colors and flavors.

Anyhow, my toddler is on these as well as their multivitamin (Incredivites) and loves both and is thriving.

It's probably obvious by this point that I sell Shaklee products. From their cleaning products to their vitamins my family (as well as my customers) have been amazed by the results. Oh, and by the way... if you're not satisfied they'll refund your $$ 100% even after you've exhausted the products.

Shaklee can only be purchased through a distributor (not in retail stores). If you're interested or want to learn more please visit my website at www.simplygreenhealthnut.com or www.shaklee.com.

If you have specific questions, I’d be happy to answer. My e-mail is ____@____.com

Lis Riley
Simply Green
www.simplygreenhealthnut.com

1 / 3