First Trimester Restrictions on Relaxing African-American Hair

My OB is adamant about me not relaxing my hair during my first trimester. I have very thick hair and my roots are crying out for straightening. Blow drying is only a temporary fix (1-2 days at best) and then it's back to a poofy frizz. Any suggestions on getting over the hump during these first critical weeks?

Thank you ladies so much for your advice. I found many suggestions very helpful and supportive. I have decided to forgo relaxing my tresses until the middle of the second trimester. Meanwhile, I have decided to consult with a stylist at the Evolutions salon to have my hair pressed. SInce I work in an extremely corporate environment, braids are unfortunately not an opiton at this point. But I will definitely take this route before delivery. Thanks again for all your help and well wishes. All the best.

pretty scarves will do nicely for now, don't stress yourself.

you could go natural
get corn rows or a braided style
go do a roller set at a dominican salon--10 bucks during the week
use some hair wraps
or go to the salon Evolution in brooklyn. they do all types of styles for black women. I wanted to color my hair when prggers and I got good advice. do a consultation.

good luck to u and your baby!

Hello S., You can press it (hot comb/straighten). Or you can do flat twist, box braids and or just cornrows. It's good cause it will give your hair a rest from the chemcicals too. Good luck to you.

I used a lot of moisturizer and also had my hair braided in some fancy styles that i didnt have to touch for a few weeks. I hated braided my hair in the past, but I actually ended up liking it after that. Maybe that could work for you. Oh by the way I had to let the hair dresser wash it before braiding. Hope that helps.

Jeey

I went through that with each of my two children. With the first, I braided it into a style the was flexible enough to dress up or down. With the second, I had my hairstylist braid my hair and put in a full weave (about 10/12 inches) that looked very natural and still allowed me to wash and set it as I would my natural hair. Out of both options, the second is what I would do again if/when the time comes.

I'm AA as well and delivered a healthy daughter in June 2007. I wouldn't go against what your doctor says however I did relax my hair and my doctor didn't seem to have a problem with it. One thing you can try is a product called Culture 7 Day Relaxer. It temporarily relaxes curls without harsh chemicals. I found it at CVS and it actually works rather well. Good luck!

The best thing I could have done throughout my pregnancies was to go to a Dominican Hair Salon, get a good wash, deep conditioner, ends cut and then I'd go next door to an African Hair Braiding Salon to get my hair-braided.(Sometimes you can find those services in 1 Salon) Trust me it is easier.Like a couple of the other Mothers said, it also gives your hair a "break/rest" from the chemicals. I can tell you I really appreciated having my hair braided while in and after labor and those couple of days in the hspt as well as the time home after that. I had one of the girls that braided my hair come to my house to wash, and re-braid during that time at home until I could get out! I simply asked! What a joy...Good Luck and Healthy Baby (and) Hair... I know you didn't ask, but rub your Belly, Thighs, Knees and Elbows with Pure African Shea Butter...Works Wonders! I still use it!

It's Great that your OB recommended not adding chemicals to your scalp, that will possibly harm your baby. I recommend using nature-based products formulated for African American skin. Anahita's hair butter and oil is ideal fro your hair type. Not only is it formulated with pure essential oils, it smells GREAT, infused with warm vanilla and sweet amber. Your body and hair will be thankful for this. You can view product here: www.warmspirit.org/joyishere and email me for a FREE sample!
Warm Regards!

1 / 3