First Foods for 6 Month Old

My baby girl is turning 6 months old in a couple weeks so we are going to be starting food soon. She is a formula fed baby and I am curious what kind of foods we should start her on? At first I thought just the rice cereal but other people have mentioned we could start her on the baby food (like bananas). Any suggestions?

I used the super baby food book too. Ruth Yaron is the author and it is a great book. I used earth's best brown rice cereal as my daughters very first food then we went to avocado and sweet potato then I think banana. Have fun!

Rice cereal first
then vegetables
then fruit
wait 3-5 days before trying every new food to test for allergies.

I would probably hold off on the bananas until she's just a tiny bit older. My little girl broke out in the worst diaper rash when she first had bananas (around 6 months). Bananas have a lot of potassium. We were told in the beginning to start on simple grains, rice cereal like you mention, green beans, applesauce, things that are easy to digest. This is all new to her stomach, so you should keep it simple. :)

Avacodo is a great first food. None of our babies ever had the rice cereal - it is a completely refined, processed food product. Avacodo has all the extra iron that your 6 month is starting to need at that age and plus it has more potassium than banana's! I always bought organic avocados in the bag and right before feeding time I would dice it up and throw it in the food processor with a small amount of formula (to make it creamy). Definitely feed him/her the veggies first, preferably the green ones with the blandest taste, then sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, then fruits.

Veggies Veggies Veggies!! I went so far as to mix the veggies w/ the rice cereal w/ a little bit of breast milk and my children ate that for breakfast for the first year of solids... I started w/ the green veggies and then moved to the sweeter ones.

Once on solids a friend told me to steam the veggies first and feed the children their veggies while you're finishing up the rest of the meal. It works great! My kids eat all their veggies b/c they're hungry when they sit down - I also love the fact that they're being 'trained' to have veggies curb their hunger. I then serve them their plate w/ the protein and carb... all the veggies are done so there is no fighting over that! 3 years later my kids LOVE veggies and eat them right up. We always use fruit as dessert.. Good luck!

My baby would have absolutely nothing to do with baby food - pretty much you can give a baby anything you eat that won't choke her (my son had a taste from african food and things with chili peppers - I am not advising this at all!)

Mashed banana's, mashed avacados, smooshed beans or peas. Asparagus stems were popular too - he would hold them and suck on them

The stuff in the baby food jars is not really healthy - you are better off using your cuisinart to grind and blend whatever you are having for dinner. Google organic homemade baby foods.

Also - for teething, we used to give him a leg bone of a chicken (cartalidge, shart edges removed).

Best of luck! Soon your baby will be feeding you mushy bisquits already pre-chewed!

I have to add another vote for http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ Great site! You should take a look at the charts that show what foods to give at what age to minimize the chance of developing food allergies. It's my understanding that you start one new food every 5 days to make sure she isn't having any kind of reaction.

I would skip the cereal since your baby is formula-fed. There is really no reason you need to start with that [and if you do, avoid the mixed variety- it contains wheat, which should be avoided until she is a little older]. If you're going to start foods, you might as well start with foods that have some nutritional benefit. Sweet potatoes and squash are excellent first foods because they have a smooth texture and are packed with vitamins. Avocado is also a great first food because it is full of good fat, is smooth and creamy, and a little bit more "bland" than some other first foods.

I held off on giving my son fruits because I was worried he would develop a sweet tooth...but, even though I waited, when he finally did have fruit he loved it and still preferred it over veggies. Humans are hard-wired to love sweet things. Whether you start them now or later, she will probably love the sweetness of fruits. I think the most important thing is that she is given vegetables as an option from the start, and that they are always offered, even if she rejects them.

It's fun to see which foods your baby loves and hates. To my surprise, my son ended up loving broccoli and still loves it now at almost 2 years.

One more thing- there are plastic bibs out there [Target has a store brand kind which is cheaper] that have a big pocket to catch food/liquid. Those are great for minimizing the mess and protecting clothes. Also you will probably want to get some kind of mat to put under the high chair. Eventually that wont matter because she will throw food when she gets a little older! But it will help for now.

If you are interested in making your own baby food even if it's not all of the time, I got a mini food processor at Target [called a "mini-chopper"] for $10 and it worked great. You can get ice cube trays and freezer bags from the dollar store- it's actually very cheap. Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Make your own baby food! www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a great resource.

My boys never had jarred baby foods, and neither had rice cereal. There is no nutritional value to it, its bland, and rice is binding... so your child will likely get constipated.

Good for you for waiting until 6mos to intro solids. My boys' first food was homemade applesauce at 6mos. Then we pureed some sweet pea's, and around 7mos they had ground up chicken or beef. By 9mos they were eating table foods, whatever we were eating chopped up into small bits, and by a year could easily feed themselves with a fork nad spoon and a plate.

If you start with a spoon and plate now, it will be habit, and you won't have a baby that throws everything on the floor. :) Pureeing foods is super simple, and you can spoon htem into ice cube trays to freeze. When frozen, transfer to a freezer bag and label it. Each cube is about 1oz of food. Its so simple. The website listed above has great starter tips.

It doesn't matter which food you start with, fruits or veggies, your child will have a preference no matter what. My boys both started on homemade applesauce, and both preferred veggies as babies (homemade sweet peas at that!). Lots of my friends started veggies first under the impression that if the ystarted fruits their child would prefer sweets, but no matter how hard they pushed the veggies their child still preferred the fruits. I don't see th downside in that... your baby prefers fruits is a good thing, fruit is excellent for everyone.

I think using homemade baby foods is best for babies. I really believe because of it, my boys are healthy non picky eaters because not only were htey exposed to lots of foods through breastmilk, but they had texture and lots of flavor from the get go of solids through homemade foods.

I also recommend Super Baby Food. It's a wonderful book and I've used it for all three of my kids. I never did cereals. I started with avacado (the BEST first baby food ever), and then went to other veggies and fruits according to the books suggestions and what my kids showed a taste for. Be aware that some formula fed babies have a tougher time adjusting to flavors, since they're used to getting the same flavored "food" all the time. Others love the changes, but if you're daughter is the former, don't get frustrated, just keep trying!

With all 3 of my children, I started them out on just rice cereal. Then we added the baby food, but I'd start with the yellow veggies first, then the green veggies before starting the fruits. Also, always give the fruit after the veggies once you're feeding both at each meal (I thought of it kind of like a dessert). Congratulations on your baby girl!

1 / 3