First Communion Dress Question

I've been to several first communion masses and the boys all seem to wear a variety of colored suit and ties. but The girls all are dressed in all white gowns. Is it unusual for a girls dress to have color to it? My daughter has a beautiful white flower girls dress with a simple red sash around the waist. Would that be tacky to reuse? I have thought about having the sash removed but it just kinda makes it her own. Have you seen girls in colored dresses or would I be making a mistake in reusing the dress? Thanks.

My daughter's dress will be similar to the dress you've described. It is mostly white, but will have a colorful sash around her waist. Since my mother is sewing her dress, Madilyn will be able to choose the color of her sash. We would like to have matching flowers for her hair.

I have only seen girls in all white dresses.

I don't think it's tacky to reuse the dress--in fact, it's downright smart and practical--but I would remove the red sash.

I agree, it doesn't hurt to double-check with the guidelines for your specific church, but I would definitely remove the red sash and replace with white or a lighter color of your daughter's choice. You should be able to fairly easily find a piece of wide ribbon at the fabric store and have it cut to the same length and just finish the ends.

It depends on what your church wants the kids to wear. Our Church requires the girls to be in all white dresses with no color in them and boys in dark pants, white shirt and a dark tie. You can always call your religious education director and ask.

I too, would remove the red sash but you could replace it with a pale pink or yellow one. Her dress would still have some individuality but a very subtle one.

What an exciting time for your daughter!

use the dress but buy a pastel ribbon for it instead you can pick them up cheap at walmart or a craft or fabric store

I would check with your church. Normally it is tradtion to wear white during all sacraments because it is a symbol of purity. I think the boys are suppose to wear white as well, but over time that has changed. If your church thinks it is acceptable, then I would say she could wear it. (I don't know if a red sash would be the best idea)

Being a relegious ed teacher and have had four first communion classes graduate there is a reason we would not use a red sasha and its because the red represents the blood and death of Jesus and we try to use all white or a hint of pastel colors like the pink or yellow for accents. I have seen kids in jeans and a black shirt. Congrats it will be the perfect day no matter what they are receiving the sacrament!

I would reuse the dress, without the sash. I don't think that's tacky at all. I have never seen a girl wearing anything colored for first communion, though I will admit I am not Catholic and do not generally see first communion services. I do, however, see the equivalent in the Lutheran church (confirmation) and girls (and boys) are expected to wear pure white gowns over white or very light colored dresses or their suits. The color is important to the ceremony, though I also admit I have never looked into why that is. ;-)

There is a symbolic reason the girls all wear white, similar to bride's wearing white and christening gowns usually being white. If you aren't sure, call the religious leader and ask.

1 / 3