First Birthday Party with or Without Infant Swimming Pool

My daughter is 11 months old and sooon she will celebrate her first birthday. Because her birthday is during the hot season, I thought it should be fun to throw a summer party for babies. I have two swimming pools for babies that will go on the grass in the backyard so the babies will be able to play in the water or out on the grass area. Is this a good idea? Thank you.

The party was a success and the swimming pool for babies a hit! Thanks to all of you who answered to my request.

My son's birthday is July 31st and his 1st birthday was a water baby party. All the babies loved it and it is a great idea. The water does get dirty pretty fast, so maybe just use one pool at a time. Plus all the parents stay and are responsible for watching their own child. I read some of the other responses and trust me, no responsible parent drops their 1 yr old baby off at a birthday party, so you should have lots of help. Maybe some pizza for the adults too?

I had a little pool party in the back yard on my son's 1st birthday last year. We had 7 babies and all the parents were there. It was only 1 pool, but it went fine. I would push the 2 pools together so the parents can watch them all in one area. I hope the parents are coming too! Have fun!!

My son will be 1 in July as I too like the water idea because it will be so hot I went a different rout. I found a park with a splash pad at it. So it is safer because there is no standing water just all different kinds of sprinkler type things that the kids can run through and get sprayed by. But on the other hand if the child’s parents are there and they watch their child it should be ok. But maybe for less hassle do some different types of sprinklers. Have fun and enjoy!

I think with proper planning you could do this(very shallow water, parent watches own child, etc.) but have you considered having a "mock" pool party? You could still go the pool theme but fill the pools with those balls for ball pits! Many babies don't always care for water anyway and this would be just as fun and less risky! You could hide some small(age appropriate) pool toys like rubber duckys or boats, etc. for the little ones in the ball pool and they could play to their hearts content....what liitle one doesn't love balls? Then invest in an at home ball pit for your child so they don't go to waste, my son & niece LOVED those when they were little! Just an idea so you cuold be safe and have a fun pool party!

Hi B.. I am a 26 year old first time mother. My daughter just turned 1 year about 3 weeks ago. I think that the idea of a pool party is great! It keeps all the tots (and the mess) outside, and everyone gets to have fun and enjoy the weather. I would recommend that you have the pool area shaded and pleanty of sunscreen on hand, since those little ones tend to burn easily! It may even be a good idea to have a few little swimmers diapers handy for those guests who don't have one for their children. You don't want anyone swimming in pee pee water :) I hope your child has a great birthday! Good luck and have fun.

N. T.

It is a fine idea, but it will be VERY important that adults are there at the pools watching the babies at ALL times and to watch the pools when the pool time is done to make sure no one ends up back in the water. During the excitement of a party, it is easy for a little one to end up under the water without anyone noticing. These kinds of accidents happen all the time, but they are easily preventable.

well, that sounds fun, but, are you ready for all the different kids developmental stages and... the possibility of drowning? i mean, i know there will be supervision, but it does get hectic with other kids and the party atmosphere... i would proceed with caution or maybe only have the pool out for a half hour to an hour and then put them away. you dont want any kids being in them unsupervised....

i agree with the sprinkler idea, and a bubble machine. that would be the best 10$ you would ever spend for the young ones. my 18 month old gets HOURS of enjoyment out of the bubble machine. make sure to buy a big jug of bubble mix for when the little jugs run out!

soudns like great fun though!

I am planning the same thing for my daughter's 1st birthday party. She has a lot of cousins of all ages and her bday is in August - HOT! We are going to have a few kiddie pools, a sprinkler, and a slip & slide so there is something for all ages to keep them busy. There will be at least one parent with each kid - so they can be in charge. Have fun!!

As long as the parents of these children are there and watching them you will be just fine. It's the parents risk if they are not watching their own child. Just don't fill the pools, a good rule of thumb is to not fill higher than a babies belly button (as their noses are higher than the belly button). Enjoy.

I did the same when my son turned 1 and it was a big hit with the babies and parents. I also put a huge beach umbrella out for extra shade for the babies.
Obviously every baby will have a parent there so there would be no safety concern. Just make sure that every baby has a swim diaper!
Have fun!

1 / 3